The Student Room Group

Which combination/third subject?

I have a friend who is hoping to do History/Economics at university (combined honours. Her interests are in Ancient/Byzantium history mainly.

For History/Economics at Oxford (the aim) History is listed as helpful and Maths is recommended.

Questions:
- How useful is A level economics?
- Can you take both history and ancient history or is there too much overlap?
- Is it possible to sub ancient history for history?

Which possible combination works best:
a) Maths, History, Ancient History
b) Maths, History, Economics
c) Maths, Ancient History, Economics (this is her preferred combination if possible)

She also has Physics kind of floating around as a third option…

TYIA!
I would say either b or c, as some universities won't accept ancient history and history as different a-levels, just as with biology and human biology. If Oxford accepts ancient history as a substitute for history, then they should choose that if it's what they enjoy more!
Original post by maddyloveridge1
I would say either b or c, as some universities won't accept ancient history and history as different a-levels, just as with biology and human biology. If Oxford accepts ancient history as a substitute for history, then they should choose that if it's what they enjoy more!

Thank you I didn’t realise that :smile:
Does anyone know if ancient history rather than history might be frowned upon? Is it just best to stick with history?
Reply 4
hi do have any essay
Original post by Oxfordbound
I have a friend who is hoping to do History/Economics at university (combined honours. Her interests are in Ancient/Byzantium history mainly.

For History/Economics at Oxford (the aim) History is listed as helpful and Maths is recommended.

Questions:
- How useful is A level economics?
- Can you take both history and ancient history or is there too much overlap?
- Is it possible to sub ancient history for history?

Which possible combination works best:
a) Maths, History, Ancient History
b) Maths, History, Economics
c) Maths, Ancient History, Economics (this is her preferred combination if possible)

She also has Physics kind of floating around as a third option…

TYIA!

Heya!
I would recommend looking at the entry requirements on the Oxford page. For History it says a-level history is a must, it does not mention ancient history so I would recommend sticking to History. I believe ancient history would be seen similar as history, so having economics would instead as a 3rd a-level would be better. For economics at Oxford, you need Maths as stated on the website. Overall perhaps option b would be on a safer side as I'm not really sure if ancient history would be seen as history :frown: It specifically states history unfortunately.

As an example, another course 'Classical Archaeology and Ancient History' specifically states that having ancient history would be helpful. You could email the admission team at Oxford and ask them if ancient history would be acceptable just to make sure!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending