Turn on thread page Beta

Taking a nap after eating?bad for health? watch

ReputationRep:
    I heard if you take a nap after eating you'll get a big belly? True?
    is there any health risk?

ReputationRep:
    Who else has a nap after eating?

ReputationRep:
    No, it is not bad for your health. This assumption stems from the myth that if you eat before you sleep you cannot burn of the calories from that meal effectively, making you put on weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j09)
    No, it is not bad for your health. This assumption stems from the myth that if you eat before you sleep you cannot burn of the calories from that meal effectively, making you put on weight.
    It's not really a myth as such. Insulin interferes with HGH (and subsequent IGF-1) production. So yes, carbs before bed might be a bad choice for some people, and messing up your sleeping pattern will probably not be optimal either. In the grand scheme of things I don't really think this stuff matters that much.

ReputationRep:
    I do that every day after lunch... It's never affected me... I'm a big baby ...

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, I'm such a bad sleeper. I eat then nap as when I get home from school, then wake at about 9 pm then sleep at like 3 am. :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    It's not really a myth as such. Insulin interferes with HGH (and subsequent IGF-1) production. So yes, carbs before bed might be a bad choice for some people, and messing up your sleeping pattern will probably not be optimal either. In the grand scheme of things I don't really think this stuff matters that much.
    Nope... Carbs don't work that quickly. An athlete should have complex carbs the night before a big day.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not a good idea to have a nap after eating as the food lies heavy on your stomach, i've done that before and ended up throwing up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Not a good idea to have a nap after eating as the food lies heavy on your stomach, i've done that before and ended up throwing up.

hurm...must be the reason for the big belly thing...i guest

ReputationRep:
    When you take a nap, you go to sleep (duh), but you don't have be in a deep sleep for your metabolism to slow down. When you nap, your metabolism will slow down, meaning what ever food you've eaten will not be broken down [as fast]. When you wake up, that food may still be there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G O D I V A)
    When you take a nap, you go to sleep (duh), but you don't have be in a deep sleep for your metabolism to slow down. When you nap, your metabolism will slow down, meaning what ever food you've eaten will not be broken down [as fast]. When you wake up, that food may still be there
    OK, and even if you were correct, why would that be a problem? Or are you just making stuff up now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    OK, and even if you were correct, why would that be a problem? Or are you just making stuff up now?
    We had to do a school project on this gym, and the personal trainer there used to be a bodybuilder. A friend of mine talked to him about tips and stuff, and because my friend has rugby training at 7pm, the trainer said only eat simple foods and carbs, and to avoid complex carbs and proteins because they take much longer to break down. he said when you go to sleep you metabolism slows down a lot meaning the food you've taken in is not digested when you sleep. When you wake up, you don't have that energy because the food hasn't assimilated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G O D I V A)
    We had to do a school project on this gym, and the personal trainer there used to be a bodybuilder. A friend of mine talked to him about tips and stuff, and because my friend has rugby training at 7pm, the trainer said only eat simple foods and carbs, and to avoid complex carbs and proteins because they take much longer to break down. he said when you go to sleep you metabolism slows down a lot meaning the food you've taken in is not digested when you sleep. When you wake up, you don't have that energy because the food hasn't assimilated
    Well he's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I love how all personal trainers "used" to be "bodybuilders". But then realised that they wanted "functional" strength, so now do 40kg quarter squats whilst giving out stupid advice to anyone who would listen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Nope... Carbs don't work that quickly. An athlete should have complex carbs the night before a big day.
    Erm, how can you generalise that all carbs don't work quickly? Lots of carbs do work quite quickly (we call them "sugars"), and even those that don't elicit an insulin response. Whether "athletes" should have carbs before a competition would obviously depend on the athlete, and how frequent their competitions are.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, how can you generalise that all carbs don't work quickly? Lots of carbs do work quite quickly (we call them "sugars"), and even those that don't elicit an insulin response. Whether "athletes" should have carbs before a competition would obviously depend on the athlete, and how frequent their competitions are.
    Fair points, inclined to agree.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't eat carbs after midday. Or it will turn into fat because your metabolism doesn't work. Also eating fats before bed is really bad as you won't be able to use them up and then they will become bad fat on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denim_Genes)
    You shouldn't eat carbs after midday. Or it will turn into fat because your metabolism doesn't work. Also eating fats before bed is really bad as you won't be able to use them up and then they will become bad fat on you.
    You're an idiot bro.

ReputationRep:
    You're an idiot bro.
    Seconded.

ReputationRep:
    You're an idiot bro.
    ?
    I thought it was a joke post myself. Though if it isn't, I third this statement.

Anyway, I'm having a cheat hour before I actually start my transition into a decent workout regime tomorrow:
    Pack of Minstrels, Dairy Milk Caramel, Crunchie, can of Ginger Beer, Milky Way bar, Twix Xtra, Munchies and a packet of Wheat Crunchies with a bottle of Lucozade to wash it down, think I'll have a bit of an insulin spike before bed. So I should wake up super fat right? In any case, I don't think I'll have any problems eating for a bulk.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.