The Student Room Group

How quickly do universities respond?

Hi! I've applied for chemistry at Oxford, Bristol, Imperial, Edinburgh and Nottingham. Other than Oxford which is obviously January and Edinburgh which I know is meant to be very slow, I'm not sure what the time frame is for hearing back from my choices. Does anyone know how long these unis typically take to respond? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Omg i've also applied for chemistry (oxford, bristol, imperial, durham, birmingham) and i was thinking this same thing. I read somewhere that imperial aims to get all decisions back by 31st march and bristol is like 5 weeks (approximate) unless they hold ur application until later on in the cycle
Original post by 444nataly
Omg i've also applied for chemistry (oxford, bristol, imperial, durham, birmingham) and i was thinking this same thing. I read somewhere that imperial aims to get all decisions back by 31st march and bristol is like 5 weeks (approximate) unless they hold ur application until later on in the cycle

Ah that's so cool we applied for the same course at 3 of the same choices omg! Which college did you apply for? And ah that's really helpful thank you so much :smile:
Original post by apolaroidofus
Ah that's so cool we applied for the same course at 3 of the same choices omg! Which college did you apply for? And ah that's really helpful thank you so much :smile:

i applied to magdalen!! Wbu?
Hi! I've applied for chemistry at Oxford, Bristol, Imperial, Edinburgh and Nottingham. Other than Oxford which is obviously January and Edinburgh which I know is meant to be very slow, I'm not sure what the time frame is for hearing back from my choices. Does anyone know how long these unis typically take to respond? Thanks!

Bristol tend to be quite quick with their offers. Imperial can be a bit of a mix, but last year most of us Chemists heard back in early March.
Edinburgh did take a long time, I ended up withdrawing having not heard by the end of March.
I don’t know about Nottingham, I’m sorry.
For Oxford, you will hear about interviews towards the end of November

Nobody can really tell. It depends on the numbers of applications a university receives. It can be anything from a couple of days to June next year. If they have more places than applicants they respond quickly. If not, most decisions are held back until after the equal consideration deadline

LMH!! I'm so nervous though ahahha have started doing some prep in case I get an interview but it's a bit tricky to know what to do
Any time up to the deadline UCAS suggest to unis which is early May: https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/decision-decisions%E2%80%A6-when-are-you-likely-hear-back-unis

Some wait until all applications come in after the January deadline to begin making offers, others will start making offers off the bat. However just because they make some offers soon doesn't mean you won't get one much later either...

There's no way to expect when you may get an offer other than knowing it should be before the UCAS suggested timeline. Best to just forget about UCAS and focus on your studies until then.

I didn't get my offer last year until the very end of that time frame!
(edited 1 year ago)
If you send off the UCAS app, but get an email a month later stating “We are delighted to confirm that we have received your application” does this mean they have read it? Or that it’s just been passed to the admission tutors?
(edited 1 year ago)

when they feel like it within the UCAS cut off timelines
Original post by Calibann
If you send off the UCAS app, but get an email a month later stating “We are delighted to confirm that we have received your application” does this mean they have read it? Or that it’s just been passed to the admission tutors?

It just means that the Uni's data-system has received your applicaton from UCAS and has sent you an automatic email.
And btw, at most Unis it the central Admissions staff reading your application not an academic.
Original post by McGinger
It just means that the Uni's data-system has received your applicaton from UCAS and has sent you an automatic email.
And btw, at most Unis it the central Admissions staff reading your application not an academic.

Thanks for your reply!
There are admissions course tutors that read your application to see if you’re a suitable/good fit. This is what Cardiff told me anyway, but as you say it probs differs per uni and course.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by booklover1313
Bristol tend to be quite quick with their offers. Imperial can be a bit of a mix, but last year most of us Chemists heard back in early March.
Edinburgh did take a long time, I ended up withdrawing having not heard by the end of March.
I don’t know about Nottingham, I’m sorry.
For Oxford, you will hear about interviews towards the end of November

Hello! Did you withdraw from Edinburgh by the end of March because you had already received offers from your more desirable universities, and you wanted to firm and insure your choices, so that you can proceed to apply for accommodation?
Original post by BubblesBB
Hello! Did you withdraw from Edinburgh by the end of March because you had already received offers from your more desirable universities, and you wanted to firm and insure your choices, so that you can proceed to apply for accommodation?

Essentially yes - I had offers from my top 2 choices and I wanted to firm and insure them. It wasn’t really to do with accommodation, that shouldn’t pressure you into withdrawing or deciding early.
Original post by booklover1313
Essentially yes - I had offers from my top 2 choices and I wanted to firm and insure them. It wasn’t really to do with accommodation, that shouldn’t pressure you into withdrawing or deciding early.

OK! No idea how it will all pan out for me but I hope I won't need to wait too long, which is totally out of my control.
Original post by BubblesBB
OK! No idea how it will all pan out for me but I hope I won't need to wait too long, which is totally out of my control.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well!! Keep us updated :smile:
Took 5-6 months to hear back from everywhere both times I applied (2014 & 2017).
(edited 1 year ago)
Not only is Edinburgh VERY slow, but based on last year’s application round, you could well be made an offer higher than their published entry requirements.
Best of luck
Hi there! I also applied for chemistry at Edinburgh, St Andrews, Imperial, Durham and Warwick for the 2022/23 entry year on 02/12/21, and this is when I heard back from each uni:
-Edinburgh offer (20/12/21)
-Imperial interview invite (31/01/22)
-St Andrews offer (23/02/22)
-Durham offer (16/03/22)
-Imperial offer (23/03/22)
-Warwick offer (16/05/22)

I know Edinburgh is notorious for being slow, but they were surprisingly quick with any correspondence and I got my offer less than a month after I replied and just before they closed for Christmas :smile:. My classmate applied for the same course and got a response within a week. It might have to do with the fact that we’re Scottish applicants— almost everyone who applied to Edinburgh in my year heard back within a month whereas English candidates I spoke to still didn’t hear back in march. Warwick waited almost to the last possible date to respond, I think it’s because they didn’t want to hand out unnecessary offers? So they waited until some would withdraw before handing out final decisions.

You’ll probably get different response times as an early applicant, and it’s all dependent on the unis but either way, good luck with your choices for this year!

Its quite possible that you will be reallocated either before interview or during the interview process with Chemistry so don't get too fixated on a particular college just yet. Best of luck.

Quick Reply