The Student Room Group

personal statement/ uni courses advice

So right now I really want to do optometry at Aston university but the entry requirements are really high. You have to get triple A's in at least two sciences. I'm doing A-level physics, biology, and sociology. At the end of year 12, I sat the AQA AS exams for biology and physics and I didn't do too well so it's quite unlikely for me to get those grades. For context, I'm averaging a C for biology and a D for physics.
I've looked at other options such as doing a foundation year for pharmacy at Aston University and the entry requirements are CCC. I'm also considering Midwifery at Birmingham City University- the entry requirements are ABB including Health and Social Care, Psychology, Sociology, or Science subject at A-level or Level 3 equivalent.

I'm just in need of some advice right now because I feel like none of these will even be possible with my grades also how would you write a personal statement for these different courses?
Original post by amii05
So right now I really want to do optometry at Aston university but the entry requirements are really high. You have to get triple A's in at least two sciences. I'm doing A-level physics, biology, and sociology. At the end of year 12, I sat the AQA AS exams for biology and physics and I didn't do too well so it's quite unlikely for me to get those grades. For context, I'm averaging a C for biology and a D for physics.
I've looked at other options such as doing a foundation year for pharmacy at Aston University and the entry requirements are CCC. I'm also considering Midwifery at Birmingham City University- the entry requirements are ABB including Health and Social Care, Psychology, Sociology, or Science subject at A-level or Level 3 equivalent.

I'm just in need of some advice right now because I feel like none of these will even be possible with my grades also how would you write a personal statement for these different courses?

You don’t write a personal statement for these different courses, you choose one or the other.

Midwifery is one of the most competitive degrees in the country. Writing about another course will make the admissions tutors think that you’re not that bothered or serious about which course you get into. If you apply for midwifery you need to make all your choices as midwifery.

There’s also no point wanting to half-heartedly going into a very specific and physically and academically demanding course when it might not even be what you want, and you drop out. You’d be wasting your own and everyone else’s time and money if you got in and changed your mind (assuming you’d got in and written a good personal statement in the first plus). People who apply for midwifery get rejected who have good applications and solely talk about midwifery in their personal statement, because it’s so competitive.

If you try and write a combined personal statement and when the universities inevitably get the impression you’re not actually that bothered about doing midwifery or optometry and would settle with either one then you’ll have no chance of getting any offers.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mintkoala
You don’t write a personal statement for these different courses, you choose one or the other.

Midwifery is one of the most competitive degrees in the country. Writing about another course will make the admissions tutors think that you’re not that bothered or serious about which course you get into. If you apply for midwifery you need to make all your choices as midwifery.

There’s also no point wanting to half-heartedly going into a very specific and physically and academically demanding course when it might not even be what you want, and you drop out. You’d be wasting your own and everyone else’s time and money if you got in and changed your mind (assuming you’d got in and written a good personal statement in the first plus). People who apply for midwifery get rejected who have good applications and solely talk about midwifery in their personal statement, because it’s so competitive.

If you try and write a combined personal statement and when the universities inevitably get the impression you’re not actually that bothered about doing midwifery or optometry and would settle with either one then you’ll have no chance of getting any offers.

What if I included some work experiences and linked them to the healthcare professions? or would that still seem too half-hearted? I'm unsure whether to choose between pharmacy or optometry right now, might just choose to do the pharmacy foundation year
Original post by amii05
What if I included some work experiences and linked them to the healthcare professions? or would that still seem too half-hearted? I'm unsure whether to choose between pharmacy or optometry right now, might just choose to do the pharmacy foundation year

Most health professions degrees can fill their places many times over with applicants who have the grades and are 100% focused on that specific course.
If your PS if in any way half arsed then they’ll reject
Spend a gap year with a 'care' job - working in a care home, special school etc, and pack in as much other volunteer work as you can.

Then decide what you want to do. And why.
Original post by amii05

Heya!
There's still time to improve your grades but you will need to work very hard and have a good revision strategy that works for you starting asap. How do you currently revise the material? First, I would recommend making a revision timetable and dedicating time and specific days to each subject. use different revision techniques such as flashcards, spider diagrams etc (what works best for you :h:). Use techniques such as active recalling (to remember the material) and the Pomodoro (to help you with focus). Utilise online free resources and practice doing questions, for example, Study Mind offers free past papers + revision notes for bio and physics (all separated by topics). Practice doing questions by topic and then focus on past papers by year to get a better understanding of the material. Youtube also has tons of videos you could check out to help you with understanding the material better!

For PS it's better if you need to make it specific to each course, not 1 PS for multiple courses. They will be able to spot it and reject you based on that. I would recommend finding some examples of PS on the specific course and see how they write it + note down what they mentioned in their PS that you could potentially include as well e.g. work experience or volunteering.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Most health professions degrees can fill their places many times over with applicants who have the grades and are 100% focused on that specific course.
If your PS if in any way half arsed then they’ll reject

Yeah that makes more sense now, I think I'll make my PS specific to pharmacy

Quick Reply

Latest