Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so us freshers have been here like 8 weeks now. So, have any of us (or any other people!) found any like places in Canterbury, that are like a bit special, and not well known, and are amazing?

I'll start us off.

The Jolly Sailor - pub near the fancy dress shop around Westgate. Proper student pub, great music and atmosphere in there. One of my favourite places for part of a night out.

Cherry Tree - Alternative rock/grime pub, realllly tiny but full of character. Lots of young people, and on a thursday night (only!) they make the most amazing cocktail called a ********* (£3 a pint for it, and you get realllly drunk on it, and its like pastel pig-pink with a curly straw that looks like a pigs tail! =D) isss on the right hand side (walking towards the bus station) down an alleyway pretty much opposite The Works stationary store and the cash point at the Independent Mortgage Company on the high street.

Morellis - If you go to the alleyway to the right of Cafe Rouge and O2 then take the steps on the left, you end up in like an open air arcade with a few cafes and other shops (Toni and Guy is up there I think). Brilliant cafe called Morellis that does amazing baguettes, the upstairs of Cafe Rouge is out on this arcade as well. One of my favourite places for food on a Saturday afternoon as its sooo quiet and even though you're right on the edge of the high street you can't hear the busy-ness at all!

Any other ideasss people? I love finding little places like this =D

Edit - just realised it totally didn't like the name of that cocktail haha. It's called a pigf...er :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Cafe Mauretique (spelling) on Butchery Lane is lovely. Also there are some good eat out spots in Wincheap.

ReputationRep:
    i love the cherry tree, the pig ******* are geeeenius.
    its not really a secret, but the cuban aswell is proper good, well good cocktails (shame cant affod it very often, i could drink caipirinhas all day).
    i cant think of anywhere particularly secret that ive discovered, i might have to explore a bit more

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know my way around town yet :ninja: :o:

(Original post by Kalby)
    The Jolly Sailor - pub near the fancy dress shop around Westgate. Proper student pub, great music and atmosphere in there. One of my favourite places for part of a night out.
    I've yet to go there. During Halloween, me and a friend were looking for directions towards a fancy dress shop and he told us that there was one near the Jolly Sailor. We asked there the Jolly Sailor is, and he said "..just follow the trail of blood."

My first thought was that it'd be some hardcore Gothic pub, but from your description I'm guessing that's not the case lmao.

ReputationRep:
    The last time I went to the Jolly Sailor there were people in the back off their heads on coke, apparently Gary (the manager of the pub) has been trying to remove those types of people and make it far more studenty. I guess it's working.

Does it still have it's dodgy satellite setup?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em_maK)
    I don't even know my way around town yet :ninja: :o:
    Try tagging along on one of the pub crawls any society is running. That's how I found my way around.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. New one!

Go to the back of Virginia Wolfe rooms, and down the steps into the forest, follow it along a bit and you can find the old tunnel mouth to the Crab and Winkle disused train line tunnel that goes straight through Tyler Hill. Me and 3 flatmates went last night about 2am and it was VERY freaky. Was like 20 dead roses tied to the fence around the tunnel mouth (god knows why), and it was dark, and our flashlight batteries died :-D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalby)
    Oh. New one!

Go to the back of Virginia Wolfe rooms, and down the steps into the forest, follow it along a bit and you can find the old tunnel mouth to the Crab and Winkle disused train line tunnel that goes straight through Tyler Hill. Me and 3 flatmates went last night about 2am and it was VERY freaky. Was like 20 dead roses tied to the fence around the tunnel mouth (god knows why), and it was dark, and our flashlight batteries died :-D
    Is the tunnel accessible from there? The other end of the tunnel meets my old Secondary school field (Archbishop's school). If I remember rightly it is half bricked up that end, and then metal bars over the other half with some sort of gate which was padlocked. When I was year 7 or 8 some people in the older years broke into it and were blowing up deodorant cans and stuff, the noise echoing across the school so it wasn't long till the teachers caught them. I think I remember someone saying you can't get very far from the school as there is a collapse or something in the tunnel. I never knew where the other end of the tunnel was. Will have to check it out some day.

Edit: Random fact: The Crab and Winkle line was the world's first passenger railway line, the tunnel being the world's first passenger railway tunnel.
    Edit 2: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...ad.php?t=14721
    Some pictures from one side of the tunnel (doesn't say which end, I haven't seen it in a few years so can't say if it's the school end) and a few pics at the bottom of the page of the damage at the uni when the middle collapsed in. Just thought it might be of interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Is the tunnel accessible from there?
    Unfortuantely not! Had 8-10ft steel fencing in front of the tunnel mouth, and then the tunnel was bricked/boarded up anyway. You couldn't see into it at all which sucked. We wanted a more creepy walk!

Love finding random things like this :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalby)
    Unfortuantely not! Had 8-10ft steel fencing in front of the tunnel mouth, and then the tunnel was bricked/boarded up anyway. You couldn't see into it at all which sucked. We wanted a more creepy walk!

Love finding random things like this :yep:
    Ah the link I posted must be from the school side then. There is a footpath going into the back of school, last I went there there is no gate to stop you getting onto the school grounds so you could check out the other side.
    I like this kind of thing too, been looking at a lot of these Urban Exploration sites like the link above, would love to go exploring some of those places myself!

ReputationRep:
    What is the name of the pub where you play board games? I know it's not exactly a Canterbury secret but I really wanna go there sometime.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are a few. I've played board games at The Monument and at The Dolphin, it's not uncommon for pubs to have board games.

ReputationRep:
    The compactness of Canterbury, its many narrow, winding streets (in the city centre at least), and the multitude of commercial and residential areas charmingly tucked away within its cosy, elegant confines (as you'll observe by consulting Google Earth) means the city itself is awash with secrets, and is perhaps one big secret itself. Although I elected to intermit from the University of Kent, I developed a great affection for Canterbury from the start of Freshers' Week, and delighted in exploring it. My return to the city isn't definite (thinking of going to a different university), but if I do come back to Canterbury I'll be glad to saviour the beauty of places like the Westgate Gardens (the high street wasn't my favourite part of the city - way too busy and not as peaceful as other locations) once again. On a semi-related point, does anyone know where The Family was filmed in Canterbury? I'm guessing it was on the very outskirts as it their house seemed to be in quite a tranquil, rural setting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KentWill)
    On a semi-related point, does anyone know where The Family was filmed in Canterbury? I'm guessing it was on the very outskirts as it their house seemed to be in quite a tranquil, rural setting.
    They were from Harbledown. The middle daughter works in the chippie on St. Dunstans road, sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowberg)
    They were from Harbledown. The middle daughter works in the chippie on St. Dunstans road, sometimes.
    I believe they have since moved, as my brother tells me the youngest no longer gets the same school bus as him. But yes they lived in Upper Harbledown at the time of filming, a little village just outside Canterbury.

ReputationRep:
    I have seen the older daughter at The Works, and the mum in Marks and Sparks :yep:

My claim to fame :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    How wonderfully exciting.

As is the fact that I must have walked past where one of them worked. :yep:

And I think I've found their house (at least the one used in the programme) on Google Earth; does anyone know if it's on a road called Church Hill?

P.S. In my earlier post I meant to say 'savour', not 'saviour'. I was doing other things at the time and was tired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstarmonkey)
    What is the name of the pub where you play board games? I know it's not exactly a Canterbury secret but I really wanna go there sometime.
    The Dolphin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KentWill)
    How wonderfully exciting.

As is the fact that I must have walked past where one of them worked. :yep:

And I think I've found their house (at least the one used in the programme) on Google Earth; does anyone know if it's on a road called Church Hill?

P.S. In my earlier post I meant to say 'savour', not 'saviour'. I was doing other things at the time and was tired.
    He's alive... HE'S ALIVE!

University open days

1. University of Kent
    Canterbury campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.