The Student Room Group

Chemistry degree help

My degree has started
Its been a whole week
And i dont understand the lecture materials tht well
Ppl who have done maths n physics at a level seem to be doing sm better
I feel like dropping out
I have labs on monday and i have read all the procedures etc but i still dont know what sort of table i would need to construct
Really struggling despite watching all the lecture videos twice. Maybe im just dumb...would really appreciate if a 2nd year chem student could help me out..like give advice on how to revise n that. I feel so lost. My labs r on monday and i dont feel prepared at all.
Original post by Maryam36747383
My degree has started
Its been a whole week
I feel like dropping out
I have labs on monday and i have read all the procedures etc but i still dont know what sort of table i would need to construct
Really struggling despite watching all the lecture videos twice. Maybe im just dumb...would really appreciate if a 2nd year chem student could help me out..like give advice on how to revise n that. I feel so lost. My labs r on monday and i dont feel prepared at all.

Maybe try searching up the topic online, hopefully there should be someone explaining the topic on youtube that you need help on.
Ask your teachers for help perhaps?
@CheeseIsVeg might be able to give some insight into how much of a jump it is from A-level, although generally for the physical chemistry stuff I think some background in maths and physics to A-level would be useful (but at least A-level Physics isn't indispensable since a lot of the topics aren't really that relevant to chemistry - having more maths background is always good in all sciences but your uni should support you in developing that if they don't require it to A-level).

I'd recommend talking to your personal tutor about how you are adjusting, any specific areas you're struggling with and asking if there is any other support for those. It's not uncommon for there to be e.g. additional maths tutorials for students who need a bit more support with that in a lot of STEM courses, since coverage and teaching of maths can be pretty variable (and if a course doesn't require A-level Maths, you can get a real range of backgrounds).
My degree has started
Its been a whole week
I feel like dropping out

I’m not a uni student (yet), but I would imagine that you probably haven’t adjusted to the change in environment.

Give yourself time and be kinder to yourself and you should begin to see an improvement. As you’ve noticed that those who did Maths and Physics are doing better, why not talk to them about the material? They may be able to explain it to you.

And don’t spout the ‘maybe I’m just dumb’ *******s. You got into uni and into a very academically demanding degree no less. Be proud of yourself and don’t beat yourself up.
My degree has started
Its been a whole week
I feel like dropping out

Understanding does not usually come from just going to lectures, there should be problem sheets on the way, and trying those, getting stuck, and then working your way through them is how this goes at university. Also use office hours when really stuck on a problem. For lab data tables, just ask the demonstrators for a hint on the day, they are there to help, but you do have to stick with this and expect difficulties as you transition from school to university learning styles.

Quick Reply

Latest