Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! Predicted Grades are lower... Personal Statement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Ok, so at AS I got AAB, and now my ******* teachers are trying to predict me ABB. I'm still fighting to try get it changed, but i'm not too sure if anything is going to come of it.
    A lot of the Unis i have been looking at ask for AAB... I'm applying for business management by the way.

I've been looking at posts on here and A LOT of people said that Universities only really take predicted grades into consideration, which is just really just upsetting and rubbish for me

Soo.. I've been talking to people and they have suggested that in my personal statement I somehow include that I achieved AAB. I think it's a pretty good idea, but I'm just worried that the unis will just think its obnoxious or just stupid somehow, like i'm going against my teachers...

Any advice is really appreciated!!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Why would you need to do that... You put your AS grades in the qualification section on the UCAS form...

ReputationRep:
    I think the best thing to do is to keep trying to persuade them to increase your predicted grades. You got really good AS results and people tend to do better in their A2's. So a prediction for you should be at least AAB/AAA.
    But I wouldn't apply to any universities that ask for higher grades than you are predicted.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    Why would you need to do that... You put your AS grades in the qualification section on the UCAS form...
    Like I said, a lot of people say that the Unis don't even look at AS grades, and just look at predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiinnaaaa)
    Like I said, a lot of people say that the Unis don't even look at AS grades, and just look at predicted grades.
    They do look at them... The question is, do they take them into consideration? If they don't, then it'll make no difference whether you mention it in your PS or not. Anyway, I'm pretty sure they take them into consideration...

ReputationRep:
    Oh I forgot to ask, does your school certify your AS grades?

ReputationRep:
    No, you don't. Not always. Probably over half of all applicants are unable to because of their school's certification policy. How long will it take before everyone starts to realise this?

(sorry if that came across irritable)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorry...Alright...Well...)
    You got really good AS results and people tend to do better in their A2's.
    Actually, people tend to do worse in their A2 examinations. Overall, A levels results can be improved on the AS results by re-sitting AS exams though.

The place for uncertificated AS results is in the reference, not the personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    "Actually, people tend to do worse in their A2 examinations. Overall, A levels results can be improved on the AS results by re-sitting AS exams though."

Then why on earth are the majority of people like EVERYWHERE predicted higher grades for their A2's then their AS?

ReputationRep:
    Then why on earth are the majority of people like EVERYWHERE predicted higher grades for their A2's then their AS?
    It's a way of motivating people...

ReputationRep:
    It's a way of motivating people...
    Actually it's pretty demotiviating to be predicted a grade lower than what you achieved at AS.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the time people step it up in Year 13 because they realise they ****** up their ASs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorry...Alright...Well...)
    Oh I forgot to ask, does your school certify your AS grades?
    Sorry, I don't know what that means :confused:
    I'm in a private school if that helps?

ReputationRep:
    best thing to do is get parents involved

ReputationRep:
    lol that is absolute rubbish! What do you think a uni is going to prefer:
    candidate a- DDE at As but predicted AAA
    candidate b- AAB at As but predicted ABB

They need to see evidence that the predicted grades can be acheived. Attained grades are definately better than predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    best thing to do is get parents involved
    I have! The teachers are being real stubborn and even the head of sixth form isn't being too helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milch)
    lol that is absolute rubbish! What do you think a uni is going to prefer:
    candidate a- DDE at As but predicted AAA
    candidate b- AAB at As but predicted ABB

They need to see evidence that the predicted grades can be acheived. Attained grades are definately better than predicted grades.
    Yes, but that's an extreme example. I'm not even asking for AAA (even though i was 4 marks off an for English lit/lang and resitting the exam i screwed up on)
    If they see that i'm predicted ABB, and someone else has AAB predicted, then why would they choose me?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    they might have predicted you ABB because you only did 3 AS levels, and the work jumps up at A2 (most people drop one at A2).

ReputationRep:
    Actually it's pretty demotiviating to be predicted a grade lower than what you achieved at AS.
    I meant predicting people higher grades than they got at AS...

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I really wish people would start to remotely understand this whole thing before trying to give advice on it.

In the sense of comparing predictions and ASs WHEN THEY'RE AVAILABLE of course an AAA prediction from CCC will look bad, but I can't see for the life of me how they're meant to select candidates on the basis of them when probably most applicants' AS grades are undisclosed.

How? It's just not possible in a competitive environment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.