Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    they might have predicted you ABB because you only did 3 AS levels, and the work jumps up at A2 (most people drop one at A2).
    Sorry if I wasn't clear... I did do 4 AS's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiinnaaaa)
    Then why on earth are the majority of people like EVERYWHERE predicted higher grades for their A2's then their AS?
    They aren't; they are predicted higher grades for their A levels overall, not their A2 exams alone. This is for two main reasons: (a) the teachers know that students are re-sitting AS exams and can expect to improve and (b) most predictions are over-optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    Actually it's pretty demotiviating to be predicted a grade lower than what you achieved at AS.
    Yeah but he was talking about being predicted higher...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I really wish people would start to remotely understand this whole thing before trying to give advice on it.

In the sense of comparing predictions and ASs WHEN THEY'RE AVAILABLE of course an AAA prediction from CCC will look bad, but I can't see for the life of me how they're meant to select candidates on the basis of them when probably most applicants' AS grades are undisclosed.

How? It's just not possible in a competitive environment.
    I'm not sure if this is relevant, but my AS grades are on my UCAS form.. They can see I got AAB.

ReputationRep:
    And of course in the end predictions and getting an offer on the basis of them are meaningless unless you actually meet it (in most cases).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSimon)
    Yeah but he was talking about being predicted higher...
    Yeah I just realized.... Oops.. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    They aren't; they are predicted higher grades for their A levels overall, not their A2 exams alone. This is for two main reasons: (a) the teachers know that students are re-sitting AS exams and can expect to improve and (b) most predictions are over-optimistic.
    Yes, and I'm even resitting an exam in this subject (geography) although i have an A, so i can get an even higher A!
    I'm also resitting an english exam so I can raise my B grade to an A... Which i'm 4 marks off.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, just to remind people of the original question... Would it be a good idea or a completley stupid idea to include that I achieved the grades AAB in my personal statement?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and I'm even resitting one of my exams although i have an A, so i can get an even higher A!
    I'm also resitting an english exam so I can raise my B grade to an A... Which i'm 4 marks off.
    But you are probably underestimating how much harder the second year exams are than the AS exams. Very few people do as well at A2 as they do at AS, and there is normally no opportunity to re-sit. If you could only get a B grade first time at AS there is a good chance you might only get a C at A2, leaving you with a B overall, even if you improve the AS result.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, just to remind people of the original question... Would it be a good idea or a completley stupid idea to include that I achieved the grades AAB in my personal statement?? :confused:
    It is a waste of space. You've already told us that it is elsewhere on your application. And stop shouting.

ReputationRep:
    But you are probably underestimating how much harder the second year exams are than the AS exams. Very few people do as well at A2 as they do at AS, and there is normally no opportunity to re-sit. If you could only get a B grade first time at AS there is a good chance you might only get a C at A2, leaving you with a B overall, even if you improve the AS result.
    That's not a fixed rule mate, I wouldn't assume people can't bump up their grade.

ReputationRep:
    I would just put your grades down on your UCAS that you AAB for AS exams. And then focus on nagging the teachers to put you down as AAB predicted.

ReputationRep:
    That's not a fixed rule mate, I wouldn't assume people can't bump up their grade.
    I'm not your mate. I didn't say it was a fixed rule. Some people can re-sit A2 exams, hence my use of the word normally, which you clearly didn't notice. Those taking A2 modules in January obviously have a re-sit opportunity in June. Relatively few do this though.

ReputationRep:
    though there is a possibility of that happening, I think most people work harder in A2 and do actually improve alot more. My cousin got BBC for AS and managed to get it to AAB even though he was predicted ABB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    though there is a possibility of that happening, I think most people work harder in A2 and do actually improve alot more. My cousin got BBC for AS and managed to get it to AAB even though he was predicted ABB.
    And how many AS re-sits did he take? Are you aware of what A2 actually means?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what courtesy means?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what courtesy means?
    I do. Do you know what benevolent means?

ReputationRep:
    It is a waste of space. You've already told us that it is elsewhere on your application. And stop shouting.
    Ofcourse it's elsewhere on application. You have to include your AS grades in the UCAS form. But, like i said earlier, I have been reading a lot of posts (on TSR) and many people say that Unis just consider your predicted grades. I achieved AAB. I am confident I am going to get AAB, if not higher, and plan on applying to AAB Unis. If i'm predicted ABB, then it's holding me back. So, I still want an answer. I don't want someone telling me that i'm shouting because I chose to make my post bold, which was just to get people to notice it.

ReputationRep:
    he took two.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think being predicted ABB is going to be overly influential on your application since they do look at your references and AS grades. I got BCC at AS but my teachers wanted to predict me DDD (hence ruining any chances of university). Now I'm predcited CCC and have my fingers and toes crossed.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.