Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    answered

ReputationRep:
    well z = \frac{x-\mu}{\sqrt{\sigma^2}}, where \mu is the mean and \sigma^2 is the variance which you have already worked out. Rearranging this you get x = z\sqrt{\sigma^2} + \mu. Then just substitute in the values already calculated for the mean and variance and the critical value for z at 90% (which is 1.282) and you get x!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonofdot)
    well z = \frac{x-\mu}{\sqrt{\sigma^2}}, where \mu is the mean and \sigma^2 is the variance which you have already worked out. Rearranging this you get x = z\sqrt{\sigma^2} + \mu. Then just substitute in the values already calculated for the mean and variance and the critical value for z at 90% (which is 1.282) and you get x!
    i was told that z = x minus the mean over just the standard deviation, not the standard deviation squared?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    i was told that z = x minus the mean over just the standard deviation, not the standard deviation squared?
    It is (I put it was over the square root of the variance, which is the same as the standard deviation. Sorry if that confused you )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonofdot)
    It is (I put it was over the square root of the variance, which is the same as the standard deviation. Sorry if that confused you )
    how did you get 1.282 for the value of z :eek:

sorry for being a pain in the arse but i want to learn this

ReputationRep:
    how did you get 1.282 for the value of z :eek:

sorry for being a pain in the arse but i want to learn this
    From my normal distribution tables (I guess it depends on your exam board, but near the back of my OCR formula book there is a page headed "the normal distribution function" At the bottom, there are critical values for the normal distribution, which tells you the value of z for different "special" probabilities. At 0.90 (90%), the value for z is 1.282 )

ReputationRep:
    hmmm i dont know if i have one of those i just had a table for the normal distribution that you look through for the values, it isn't for "special" probabilities though?

ReputationRep:
    hmmm i dont know if i have one of those i just had a table for the normal distribution that you look through for the values, it isn't for "special" probabilities though?
    well in that case, you can look through the values for the probability until you find the one closest to 0.9000, then read off the z-value for that probablility

I've even drawn you a nice picture

Name:  normal01.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  188.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much for that

so can i just clarify so i can write this up in my notes so i can revise for the exam with it

when i need to find the area up to a certain point (x) i need to

rearrange the forumla to make x the subject
    look through the table to find the closest possible to the boundary given (in this case 90%, 0.9)
    substitute this value with the others, such as the mean and the standard deviation, and work out from there?

what would the rearranged formulae look like if it were to not use the variance, and just the SD instead? as there would be no square root would there, then i can remember that and the points above for the exam

rep comming ur way

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much for that

so can i just clarify so i can write this up in my notes so i can revise for the exam with it

when i need to find the area up to a certain point (x) i need to

rearrange the forumla to make x the subject
    look through the table to find the closest possible to the boundary given (in this case 90%, 0.9)
    substitute this value with the others, such as the mean and the standard deviation, and work out from there?

what would the rearranged formulae look like if it were to not use the variance, and just the SD instead? as there would be no square root would there, then i can remember that and the points above for the exam

rep comming ur way
    Yep, those notes all look fine, and thanks for the rep

ReputationRep:
    what would the rearranged formulae look like if it were to not use the variance, and just the SD instead?

ReputationRep:
    what would the rearranged formulae look like if it were to not use the variance, and just the SD instead?
    x = z\sigma + \mu where \sigma is the standard deviation

ReputationRep:
    cheers mate

you dont no how much i appreciate that! i am struggling with the statistics a little in computer science as the lectures move so fast, having explanations like that make it so much easier to understand

ReputationRep:
    well that makes the answer

which is too much isnt it

ReputationRep:
    well that makes the answer

which is too much isnt it
    Are you sure?

x = 1.282\sigma + \mu

x = 1.282 \times \sqrt{7840} + 7000

x = 113.5 + 7000

x = 7113.5

ReputationRep:
    just seen what i am doing wrong i need to square root the variance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.