Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

rights in part time employment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi, I was just wondering what were the rights in part time employment for quitting the job, etc? Is it compulsory to work for a week, etc before you quit or can you quit immediately. Also, how long after first starting a job is it compulsory to work for before you quit?

Sorry for the negative post but i've never had a part time job before and I wasn't sure about these questions, as obviously theyre quite important in finding a job.

ReputationRep:
    You can leave anytime you like after joining them. I was at a place 3 weeks when I gave notice as I got a Sainsburys job offer.
    As for how much notice you give, that I think varies from place to place and should be in your contract. Or ask them if you haven't got one. If you leave without notice you could forfit your last however many days wages.
    x

ReputationRep:
    Everywhere has their own policies for how much notice you give - where I work I think it is two weeks. You should be given a contract to sign and you are perfectly allowed to ask these questions to your employer before you start (I know there is occasionially the feeling that as a lowly part-time member of staff, you shouldn't ask questions about salary etc, but it is your right to know these things)

I have known of people leaving a job on the day they start because they hate it. Some places will have you for a trial period (at Subway I did a four hour trial shift and at House of Fraser I had four weeks before I became a full member of staff) and I believe you can probably leave at any time during this.

Also, let's face it, the worse they can do if you just stop turning up is to not pay you.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.