Exam discussion thread Watch

IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Good Luck to everyone doing the BF1101 - Principles of Financial Accounting exam today, or any other exams that are happening.
gillipies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hope it goes/went well!

Having exams on Saturdays is rubbish :mad:
hannah_dru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good luck!
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
(Original post by gillipies)
I hope it goes/went well!

Having exams on Saturdays is rubbish :mad:
It went very well, thanks ... was one of those multiple choice accounting tests that was meant to take an hour but in fact takes about 25 minutes and is insultingly easy. :p:

Have you had any exams on Saturdays? They are certainly rubbish, having to wake up early for an hour exam at the weekend when anyone would rather be in bed .... who decided its a good day for them anyway?
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
haha financial accounting on saturdays is toss. you have another one too! I don't think I have any this year. I'd better not anyway. this saturday all I have to do is 1200 words of essays
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
(Original post by lodzinski)
haha financial accounting on saturdays is toss. you have another one too! I don't think I have any this year. I'd better not anyway. this saturday all I have to do is 1200 words of essays
Oh God, the big accounting exam in January isn't on a Saturday as well is it? Oh no ... :eek:. There are so many other things I could be doing (well not really, I'd be asleep lol). At least they gifted us 30% of the module with an exam that made last years paper look alarmingly hard - which is amusing as they said they were trying to make the papers harder than ever this year. :rofl:

1200 words isn't too much ... I'm sure you'll get it done with plenty of time left to go to Gatecrasher or somewhere later! Which reminds me, I still need to get my Orgy-B essays done at some point
gillipies
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
It went very well, thanks ... was one of those multiple choice accounting tests that was meant to take an hour but in fact takes about 25 minutes and is insultingly easy. :p:

Have you had any exams on Saturdays? They are certainly rubbish, having to wake up early for an hour exam at the weekend when anyone would rather be in bed .... who decided its a good day for them anyway?
When I was going German I had one on a Saturday but since I've switched courses I've not had any *touch wood* :rolleyes:

I've never really understood why they have to have them on saturdays, surely there are enough rooms at uni to do them during the week? maybe it's to do with staffing?! either way it's a pain!:mad:
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OB essays are dead easy. I've got a business plan to whack out
e.g;
'The launch of Cirrus represents a major step forward for the company, and as times get harder for the automotive industry, our strategy is vital to our success. Within this plan, we aim to establish the ways and means we will use to meet our corporate objectives.'

CRINGE!

and a lovely marketing strategy. /whinging over something i should've planned better. l00l
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
When I was going German I had one on a Saturday but since I've switched courses I've not had any *touch wood* :rolleyes:

I've never really understood why they have to have them on saturdays, surely there are enough rooms at uni to do them during the week? maybe it's to do with staffing?! either way it's a pain!:mad:
Annoying aren't they lol.... hopefully you won't have any more to worry about anyway.

I'm guessing it could be something to do with staffing but if that's the case, why not scrap the idea of a reading week (because a lot of subjects dont have them anyway), and do the exam at the same time as the lecture would normally be? Then there wouldn't be a staffing problem because the lecturer would be able to cover the exam. Or maybe they just like torturing us? :p:
gillipies
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Annoying aren't they lol.... hopefully you won't have any more to worry about anyway.

I'm guessing it could be something to do with staffing but if that's the case, why not scrap the idea of a reading week (because a lot of subjects dont have them anyway), and do the exam at the same time as the lecture would normally be? Then there wouldn't be a staffing problem because the lecturer would be able to cover the exam. Or maybe they just like torturing us? :p:
Going slightly OT but yes I think reading week should be scrapped. Either all modules have them on the same week or just don't bother at all. Having an hour off here and there makes no difference to me getting work done.

I don't have read week in any psychology modules, two English modules had it this week and the other one has it in two week's time... it's no use at all!

Sorry for the rant! :o:
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
OB essays are dead easy. I've got a business plan to whack out
e.g;
'The launch of Cirrus represents a major step forward for the company, and as times get harder for the automotive industry, our strategy is vital to our success. Within this plan, we aim to establish the ways and means we will use to meet our corporate objectives.'

CRINGE!

and a lovely marketing strategy. /whinging over something i should've planned better. l00l
OB essays would be easy were I to possess the motivation to write about erm ... motivation.

Business plans are fairly straightforward aren't they, just boring? How can you write a proper business plan in 1200 words anyway thats what I dont get. Oh well, get it done and then go and get drunk in celebration of finishing it lulz.

And ugh, marketing may allow for some creativity when your actually coming up with stuff but marketing theory is dull. Is it still all about the 4 P's? :p:
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Going slightly OT but yes I think reading week should be scrapped. Either all modules have them on the same week or just don't bother at all. Having an hour off here and there makes no difference to me getting work done.

I don't have read week in any psychology modules, two English modules had it this week and the other one has it in two week's time... it's no use at all!

Sorry for the rant! :o:
I'm inclined to agree, really. Reading week is completely unproductive when all the modules are having them at different times. I had a reading week this week in Accounting, and whilst I did do some revision, it wasn't during the time where I'd normally have had lectures. And in fact, a tutorial would have helped people get help with things they didnt understand but that got cancelled with it being reading week too! I've got a module where it's all coursework with no exams, and that that has a reading week too, which is just insane.

It would be alright if they were all at the same time but again, some subjects don't need them at all and we have plenty of time to read even when we do have lectures lol

So yeh, reading week is daft. It's a loss of teaching time which could be otherwise used for something which might help us (most likely not though!)
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OB essays would be easy were I to possess the motivation to write about erm ... motivation.

Business plans are fairly straightforward aren't they, just boring? How can you write a proper business plan in 1200 words anyway thats what I dont get. Oh well, get it done and then go and get drunk in celebration of finishing it lulz.

And ugh, marketing may allow for some creativity when your actually coming up with stuff but marketing theory is dull. Is it still all about the 4 P's? :p:
lol im just writing the MD bits - about 500 words.

and yeah, we still do the 4p's in marketing, but a whole lot more besides too.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
lol im just writing the MD bits - about 500 words.

and yeah, we still do the 4p's in marketing, but a whole lot more besides too.
Ohh ... 500 words should be easy enough. It'd have been funny if they made everyone write like a full 40-page business plan or something. :rofl:

Everyone loves the 4 P's! ... I hope I get to do some marketing next year lol, all the 2nd term modules this year look boring ... IT, Economics .. ugh!
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think I have 2 mock tests in 2-3 weeks. I have a **** memory so I don't think I'll do well unless I start looking at notes soon. Other than that it looks like I have just the 1 exam after Christmas for German Film. I've got 4 essays to start working on. So far I've chosen the titles but I've got a bit of research already.
Lil Lee Lee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've never had a Saturday exam. Coursework a plenty though! For January I have to write 2 3000 word essays in German and one 3000 worder in English but I don't *think* there's any exams. *Is prepared to be proved wrong on that one*. Plus the bloody film essays!
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought my accounting exam last Saturday was fine - until I overheard a girl talking yesterday about how there were soooo many trick questions...
I didn't notice any 'tricks' :\
I am hoping however that my previous accounting experience just means I didn't think they were particularly trickful.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
(Original post by FireDeuce)
I thought my accounting exam last Saturday was fine - until I overheard a girl talking yesterday about how there were soooo many trick questions...
I didn't notice any 'tricks' :\
I am hoping however that my previous accounting experience just means I didn't think they were particularly trickful.
There weren't many tricks today, there were a couple of things that confused me but nothing major.

We got a question which asked for just the "total profit" ... but I couldnt remember whether to work out the gross profit or net profit for that. So I worked out both and both solutions were listed as possible answers so I just went for one of them :p:
tomtom:)
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What sort of things were on this paper then? How much does it count towards first year etc? Is the combined business one diff to the BAM one?
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
(Original post by tomtom:))
What sort of things were on this paper then? How much does it count towards first year etc? Is the combined business one diff to the BAM one?
They're slightly different I think, but apparantly it's mostly the same module. It counts as 30% of the module overall. We need 40% in each module overall to pass and we have to pass all the modules to progress onto the second year. 1st year scores dont count towards the overall degree classification so most people do just shoot for the 40 to stay in and then worry about getting more respectable grades in the next years.

This one had questions on:

-Profit and Loss Accounts
-Balance Sheets
-Accruals and Pre-paid Expenses
-Linear depreciation
-Profit margins
-Share Capital

:p:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.49%
No (450)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.78%

Watched Threads