The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
IanDangerously
They're slightly different I think, but apparantly it's mostly the same module. It counts as 30% of the module overall. We need 40% in each module overall to pass and we have to pass all the modules to progress onto the second year. 1st year scores dont count towards the overall degree classification so most people do just shoot for the 40 to stay in and then worry about getting more respectable grades in the next years.

This one had questions on:

-Profit and Loss Accounts
-Balance Sheets
-Accruals and Pre-paid Expenses
-Linear depreciation
-Profit margins
-Share Capital

:p:

Mostly A-Level stuff then.
I know that it doesn't count, wouldn't hate to not pass the first year!! :unsure:
So basically you can in theory, get full marks on this MULTI CHOICE exam and then will just need 10% from jan and summer moudles? Oh no wait, you do diff modules after jan, so just the jan exams then. Yeah lol.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 21
also the tour girl doing International business, i think, said about the 40% pass thing but also that you could fail up to one module and still continue tot he next year? False then?
tomtom:)
Mostly A-Level stuff then.
I know that it doesn't count, wouldn't hate to not pass the first year!! :unsure:
So basically you can in theory, get full marks on this MULTI CHOICE exam and then will just need 10% from jan and summer moudles? Oh no wait, you do diff modules after jan, so just the jan exams then. Yeah lol.

Pretty much, yep.
Theres a few people around who failed their first year and are back again this year doing it all again lol!
I'm sure a lot of people could have got full marks on this test today, I reckon I got about 17/20 something like that .... so yeh, the more you get now, the easier the christmas is revision-wise because the January exams are less important.
Reply 23
IanDangerously
Pretty much, yep.
Theres a few people around who failed their first year and are back again this year doing it all again lol!
I'm sure a lot of people could have got full marks on this test today, I reckon I got about 17/20 something like that .... so yeh, the more you get now, the easier the christmas is revision-wise because the January exams are less important.

So do you have all business exams for this term now ish and in jan? OB is jsut c/w etc. Are they all 30% or completely and annoyingly random. Its good because if you work you can make it easy but if you don't your not totally screwed yet! I like the idea of doing well now though, less work and mor eplay later on in the year!! :biggrin:
Also are exams multi choice and written per moudle?

OR is the 40% an average so to say, and I've got it wrong??
So do you have all business exams for this term now ish and in jan? OB is jsut c/w etc. Are they all 30% or completely and annoyingly random. Its good because if you work you can make it easy but if you don't your not totally screwed yet! I like the idea of doing well now though, less work and mor eplay later on in the year!! :biggrin:
Also are exams multi choice and written per moudle?

OR is the 40% an average so to say, and I've got it wrong??

Erm, there's exams for Financial Accounting this term , and an online test for Quantitative Techniques which has to be done between the 14th and the 21st which is worth 10% of the module. Then there's all the OB coursework which is due in on January 14, and thats also when the exam period starts so we have 2 hour exams for accounting, QT and whatever other modules people take.

I think it's just accounting that has a multi-choice test this year. The idea is definitely to get the essays written before the xmas holidays, and do all the online tests as early as possible ... frees up a bit of time later lol.
Reply 25
So if you get full marks in the multi choice is that 30% of that module complete, with just 10% remaining or is it an average thing?
What are the coursework/assignments questions like?
also the tour girl doing International business, i think, said about the 40% pass thing but also that you could fail up to one module and still continue tot he next year? False then?

There's a retake season in around August, but I've known one person had to repeat the year with no chance of retakes because their attendance was bad!
Lil Lee
There's a retake season in around August, but I've known one person had to repeat the year with no chance of retakes because their attendance was bad!

Ouch! My attendance is awful :eek:

Then again, its awful because I find the lectures boring because I already know the entire syllabus their teaching, ergo I'm not too worried about not being allowed retakes. :rofl:
I passed my QT!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 29
FireDeuce
I passed my QT!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Well done, example questions? ... :smile:
Well done, example questions? ... :smile:

Before anyone jumps at me and says that I am giving away this years paper, it was from the practice test.

An asset, A, has a present value of £10000 which depreciates exponentially. The value of the asset at the end of t years is given by y = 10000e^-0.12t How many years (to 2dp) will it take for the asset to depreciate down to £3000?

Its really annoying, I know what I got but I don't know which ones I got right and which ones I got wrong, I'm really intrigued. Actually I know 2 I got wrong, one I picked randomly from the multiple choice, the other I picked a number out of the air.
Reply 31
FireDeuce
Before anyone jumps at me and says that I am giving away this years paper, it was from the practice test.

An asset, A, has a present value of £10000 which depreciates exponentially. The value of the asset at the end of t years is given by y = 10000e^-0.12t How many years (to 2dp) will it take for the asset to depreciate down to £3000?

Its really annoying, I know what I got but I don't know which ones I got right and which ones I got wrong, I'm really intrigued. Actually I know 2 I got wrong, one I picked randomly from the multiple choice, the other I picked a number out of the air.

:eek: :shock: :yikes: Oh god. Do the tutorials explain this sort of stuff though right....? I didn't do A-Level maths*
How would you work it out, is it a blatantly obvious one to you? :/
But thank you though :smile:
FireDeuce

Feel free to do that too, by the way. :hmmm::cheers:
:eek: :shock: :yikes: Oh god. Do the tutorials explain this sort of stuff though right....? I didn't do A-Level maths*

No haha I had to ask someone on here today (again, this was the practice, I had got the answer wrong in the practice and so asked on here)

Everything is explained in lectures by lovely Ozren :suith:
Except Logarithims, where he was ill and we had some really dull man fail completely at explaining them lol!
I will be honest, when Ozren first introduced himself I thought... oh bloody hell I am not going to understand a word of what this man says (he has a very yuogoslavian accent) but seriously, he is one of the best maths teachers I've ever had. Also, he puts the lectures up on blackboard, with the lecture recording playing at the same time as the slides move, which is really good because if you don't quite understand something in the lecture, you can go back and play it again, because often its really useful to actually have someone explain it to you and not just trying to read a book.

Oh wow what a long declaration of my love for Ozren!

3000 = 10000e^-0.12t
ln 0.3 = -0.12t
t = ln 0.3 / -0.12
dont have a calculator near me but put in ln0.3/-0.12 and youll get the answer. :wink:

takes about 20 seconds working max
IanDangerously
Feel free to do that too, by the way. :hmmm::cheers:

You evidently do not need them, I hate people who are clever at maths :shifty:
FireDeuce
You evidently do not need them, I hate people who are clever at maths :shifty:

I may not need them but perhaps I'd like them anyway? LOL.... maybe it'd be better to show examples from this years rather than last years ... more current and all that. :wink:

I think if you're close to the boundary then they might be lenient with it, but like someone else said there are retake sessions in August - it just means you have to spend your summer revising rather than doing anything else!!

Also, your first year might not go towards anything in terms of your degree but when you are applying for placements for your 3rd year employers will look at your 1st year grades. That is all they will have to go on because you won't have taken your 2nd year exams by the time your start applying. So it's kind of important for other reasons that your try (at least a bit!) in your first year!
Reply 38
gillipies
Also, your first year might not go towards anything in terms of your degree but when you are applying for placements for your 3rd year employers will look at your 1st year grades. That is all they will have to go on because you won't have taken your 2nd year exams by the time your start applying. So it's kind of important for other reasons that your try (at least a bit!) in your first year!

That is a very good point! Will bear that in mind!! :smile:
I got 9 out of 10 in the QT test :smile:

I bet it was the logs question I got wrong. I hate them.

Latest