The Student Room Group

UCAS Choices for Physiotherapy

Hi everyone, I am an International Student studying International Foundation Year (IFY) - Northern Consortium of UK Universities(NCUK) this year. I am interested in physiotherapy and plan to put physiotherapy for all five choices.
1. University of Birmingham
2. University of Southampton/KCL
3. University of East Anglia
4. University of Bradford
5. Keele University/MMU
Right now, I am considering the second choice. Should I put KCL or the University of Southampton? My school counsellor told me to put the University of Southampton instead of KCL because he said KCL is the most prestigious university. Also, physiotherapy is a very competitive subject, and KCL has its foundation year, which makes it more competitive. Although the University of Southampton is not within the NCUK group but is a partner of NCUK, he believes that putting the University of Southampton is a better choice. My counsellor strongly advised me not to put KCL, but I really like KCL. On the other hand, due to the NCUK IFY Qualification's recognisability when applying to non-NCUK universities, I am afraid that my qualification will become a disadvantage when I apply to a prestigious university. I emailed KCL, and they said, "Foundation programmes from other universities and further education providers in the UK are considered on a case-by-case basis".
I'd appreciate it if you could give me some advice on picking between these two universities
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Hi. I'm an international student too and am thinking about my five choices too. Southampton sounds very challenging. I think there are very limited places for international students. Do you think UEA is a good choice? It needs IELTS 7 for all skills, higher than many others.
Reply 2
Original post by VVLAM
Hi. I'm an international student too and am thinking about my five choices too. Southampton sounds very challenging. I think there are very limited places for international students. Do you think UEA is a good choice? It needs IELTS 7 for all skills, higher than many others.

Yeah, my counsellor told me Southampton is really challenging, like there are only around 10 international students in 2021. Personally, I believe UEA is a good choice. Although the UEA QS ranking is not that high, the subject ranking is quite top. The biggest problem is IELTS 7 for all skills. I plan to retake IELTS to get all 7. Right now, my Overall is 7, reading and listening are 7.5, speaking is 7, and writing is 6.5.
Reply 3
You're better as you just missed 1 skill. I have 2 skills, speaking n writing so I'm struggling if I'll put UEA. Will you consider U of Brighton?
Reply 4
Original post by VVLAM
You're better as you just missed 1 skill. I have 2 skills, speaking n writing so I'm struggling if I'll put UEA. Will you consider U of Brighton?

IMO, U of Brighton doesn't look really attractive. I won't put it as my secure choice(4,5) because there are similar or even better choices in the NCUK group. NCUK group refers to the universities that recognise NCUK Qualification and cooperate with NCUK; this gives me a bigger chance to get an interview or offer than applying to a non-NCUK university.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
What university are you going to put in the UCAS five slot?
Reply 6
2. KCL
3. University of Nottingham
4. Brighton/Bradford
5. MMU
Struggled about Bradford as the area is not that safe.
Original post by RaymondHK
Hi everyone, I am an International Student studying International Foundation Year (IFY) - Northern Consortium of UK Universities(NCUK) this year. I am interested in physiotherapy and plan to put physiotherapy for all five choices.
5. Keele University/MMU
Right now, I am considering the second choice. Should I put KCL or the University of Southampton? My school counsellor told me to put the University of Southampton instead of KCL because he said KCL is the most prestigious university. Also, physiotherapy is a very competitive subject, and KCL has its foundation year, which makes it more competitive. Although the University of Southampton is not within the NCUK group but is a partner of NCUK, he believes that putting the University of Southampton is a better choice. My counsellor strongly advised me not to put KCL, but I really like KCL. On the other hand, due to the NCUK IFY Qualification's recognisability when applying to non-NCUK universities, I am afraid that my qualification will become a disadvantage when I apply to a prestigious university. I emailed KCL, and they said, "Foundation programmes from other universities and further education providers in the UK are considered on a case-by-case basis".
I'd appreciate it if you could give me some advice on picking between these two universities

Hi @RaymondHK :h:

I've seen that you're considering applying to study Physiotherapy here with us so I just wanted to pop by and say hello! If you have any questions at all about UEA or being a student in Norwich, please do feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help. Good luck with all of your applications and I hope you have a wonderful time at uni wherever you end up studying!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies
Reply 8
Original post by VVLAM
2. KCL
3. University of Nottingham
4. Brighton/Bradford
5. MMU
Struggled about Bradford as the area is not that safe.

I think Bradford is a good choice for mid to secure slot. Although Bradford qs world ranking is not high, their subject ranking is quite top tho. I guess it is not that hard if your predicted grades meet their requirement.Nottingham is one of my choices before, but they don't accept my qualification
Reply 9
What about Oxford Brookes and University of East London? Are they something we can consider as secure choices?
Original post by RaymondHK
5. Keele University/MMU

@RaymondHK

Thank you for considering us as one of your possible choices! You have picked some great universities to apply for and we wish you the best of luck with all of your applications!

Carly :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by VVLAM
What about Oxford Brookes and University of East London? Are they something we can consider as secure choices?

These two are secure choices and I will prefer
Oxford brookes because Oxford Brookes has a higher subject ranking.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply