Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, general question for all the fitness savvy:

I'm male, have been going to the gym for around two months now, and am doing a general full-body workout.
    However, whilst the whole of my body appears to be muscling up, my chest remains pretty flaccid.
    I go through times a week, and do these excercises:
    inclined bench-press (14kg x 15 x 4 once a week)
    - same with dumbells (6kg each arm x 15 x 4 once a week)
    'butterfly' machine (32kg x 15 x 4 three times a week)

I'm looking to get some properly shaped and well defined pecs but that doesn't seem to be working so far.
    Any advice on what I should be doing to bulk my pecs more effectively?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Heavier weights?

ReputationRep:
    Weak. I'm a girl and I can bench 35kg on a bar. Have you thought about challenging yourself OP? Suggest moving to 5x5 and upping weight each week. Or read Rippetoes: Starting Strength. What's your diet like?

ReputationRep:
    Clearly as your managing to do 15 reps the weight is too light. Whats the point of doing it with 6's? Do you actually struggle at the end...failure?

And doing an inclined bench press is one exercise, changing the barbell from dumbells will still essentially train upper chest, what happened to the flat bench?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    Hey, general question for all the fitness savvy:

I'm male, have been going to the gym for around two months now, and am doing a general full-body workout.
    However, whilst the whole of my body appears to be muscling up, my chest remains pretty flaccid.
    I go through times a week, and do these excercises:
    inclined bench-press (14kg x 15 x 4 once a week)
    - same with dumbells (6kg each arm x 15 x 4 once a week)
    'butterfly' machine (32kg x 15 x 4 three times a week)

I'm looking to get some properly shaped and well defined pecs but that doesn't seem to be working so far.
    Any advice on what I should be doing to bulk my pecs more effectively?
    Thanks
    Well if that is your 'chest routine' you really do need to do some extra reading on the best way to work out and gain muscle. For a start 15 reps is training for endurance, rather than muscle gain and/or to improve strength. Also, 8 sets of benching, far too much for a beginner, or the weights you are using are too low. Finally you're doing isolations when you're so weak and would clearly benefit from sticking to heavier compounds and getting your numbers up (and surprisingly muscle will follow).

And I would bet that if your routine is that poor, chances are you diet isn't much better either.

So read the FITNESS STICKY, paying particular attention to STARTING STRENGTH, HEALTHY EATING, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think incline bench works the upper chest and tris whereas bench press works the whole chest. Also do less reps of a higher weight. I have also just started weight training and have seen slower progress in my chest than legs/arms etc any ther advice would also be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    for a lagging bodypart you should train it twice a week. but thats assuming your using a workout split which works one muscle group once per week. which is utter nonsense for a beginner.

never the less, try this;

Flat Bench Press
    Decline Bench Press
    Incline Dumbbell Press

all 3 x (8-12). remember to use perfect form and write down the weights used so that you are always working to your max.

ReputationRep:
    Lady Venom you bench 55kg?

Swole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Lady Venom you bench 55kg?

Swole.
    FluxD you blind?! It says 35kg lol

ReputationRep:
    You said 35kg on a bar, which would make it 55kg, unless you are frauding and really use a smith machine which I suspect you do.

So LV...

...Are you fraudin?

ReputationRep:
    When I say "xxx kg on the bar" I just mean the total weight I'm lifting, not the total weight minus the bar.

ReputationRep:
    Strong stuff LV, although my better half benched 80kg's for reps the other day, but she is also world champ so it Swole lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Strong stuff LV, although my better half benched 80kg's for reps the other day, but she is also world champ so it Swole lol
    at least i bench more than your misses lol.

ReputationRep:
    lol 6kg on a dumbell. I would imagine you should be hitting 10kg on each exercise minimum to gain anything there. I'm relatively small there but can manage to get 15kg for bicep curl and likewise exercises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Well if that is your 'chest routine' you really do need to do some extra reading on the best way to work out and gain muscle. For a start 15 reps is training for endurance, rather than muscle gain and/or to improve strength. Also, 8 sets of benching, far too much for a beginner, or the weights you are using are too low. Finally you're doing isolations when you're so weak and would clearly benefit from sticking to heavier compounds and getting your numbers up (and surprisingly muscle will follow).

And I would bet that if your routine is that poor, chances are you diet isn't much better either.

So read the FITNESS STICKY, paying particular attention to STARTING STRENGTH, HEALTHY EATING, etc.
    My routine is really poor indeed, and I recognised that so decided to post here. It was developed by 'professional personal trainer' but it seems so ******** that I thought the people of TSR would be much better advisors.
    I haven't really had time to do my own investigation into it, I'm just starting and I'm not a fitness fanatic by any means - yet. Come on, I'm a Cambridge Maths applicant, what do you expect?
    Diet's good tho, no worries there, suits the healthy eating topic perfectly well.
    So I'll shift to heavier weights (I can manage a lot heavier) and do less reps. I'll do some flat bench press too, anything else?

Thanks for advice all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    You said 35kg on a bar, which would make it 55kg, unless you are frauding and really use a smith machine which I suspect you do.

So LV...

...Are you fraudin?
    I meant the total weight I lift. I don't use a Smith machine. Ever. I said on the BAR to imply that I didn't mean DBs. I lift slightly less using DBs... and there isn't a DB combo that makes 35 is there now.... :rolleyes: I usually lift 16kg in each when using DBs. I do incline and flat due no decline bench in either gym I use.

(Original post by burningnun)
    When I say "xxx kg on the bar" I just mean the total weight I'm lifting, not the total weight minus the bar.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    My gym has 17.5 kg DBs LV
    I've debated switching to barbell benching, not sure. As far as I'm aware you work more muscles using DB which makes it a better exercise? (rule of thumb)

ReputationRep:
    I used to do bar but nearly always use DB for benching (flat and incline ... bar for decline). Think I'll just stick to DB until I can manage the 46kgs ... might be a long time :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was reading somewhere that rather than doing for example 2 sets of 10 reps at weight you can handle, do 2 sets of 4 or 5 reps at around the maximum you can lift. It was something like that anyway. But yeah if you don't puch yourself (not too much though) you're not going to get anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    OP I'd ditch your 'personal trainer' if I were you, you won't be seeing much in the way of results following that regime.

If you're looking for muscle growth, then you'll want to be lifting in the 7-12 rep range, and the last rep in each set should be HARD, you might not even manage it sometimes.
    What is your diet, out of curiosity?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.