Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Up the weight. My chest was the main reason I started going to the gym properly, and I started on 35kg 10x10. About a month and a half later (going 3 times a week) I got up to 45kg 10x10... And my chest's a hell of a lot bigger than of used to be as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    My routine is really poor indeed, and I recognised that so decided to post here. It was developed by 'professional personal trainer' but it seems so ******** that I thought the people of TSR would be much better advisors.
    I haven't really had time to do my own investigation into it, I'm just starting and I'm not a fitness fanatic by any means - yet. Come on, I'm a Cambridge Maths applicant, what do you expect?
    Diet's good tho, no worries there, suits the healthy eating topic perfectly well.
    So I'll shift to heavier weights (I can manage a lot heavier) and do less reps. I'll do some flat bench press too, anything else?

Thanks for advice all
    you dont need to do your own 'investigation' into it. just read a few articles to get the jist. maximum a few hours reading. your an 'applicant' you say? wooooOOOOOooooo :rolleyes:

a healthy diet is by no means the best diet for fitness. post it up and then we can say if its good or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gylfih)
    Up the weight. My chest was the main reason I started going to the gym properly, and I started on 35kg 10x10. About a month and a half later (going 3 times a week) I got up to 45kg 10x10... And my chest's a hell of a lot bigger than of used to be as well.
    You'd have increased your weight a lot more if you hadn't been doing 10x10 3 times a week. 5x5 twice a week is easily enough. I went from being able to do 62.5kgx1 to 77.5kgx3 over about 2 (maybe 2 and a half) months.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really had time to do my own investigation into it, I'm just starting and I'm not a fitness fanatic by any means - yet. Come on, I'm a Cambridge Maths applicant, what do you expect?
    I'm a Cambridge maths student and I've got plenty of time to exercise and to read about how to get the most out of what I do. No excuses - now get doing some heavy 5x5s/3x5s and shift some real weight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I'm a Cambridge maths student and I've got plenty of time to exercise and to read about how to get the most out of what I do. No excuses - now get doing some heavy 5x5s/3x5s and shift some real weight!
    Haha worries, was just playing on the stereotype - spent all morning in the gym, doing 6 rep x 4 with 2-3 times the weight mentioned in the original post. Feels a lot better

ReputationRep:
    THIS.

I don't know any maths students who work 9-5 every day (from the maths students I've seen they have 3 hours of lectures max per day, maybe a bit of homework on top of that), if we were talking vets, medics or dentists, maybe, but they still manage to find plenty of time to work out and have a life.

ReputationRep:
    Haha worries, was just playing on the stereotype - spent all morning in the gym, doing 6 rep x 4 with 2-3 times the weight mentioned in the original post. Feels a lot better
    Why 6x4 when nearly every poster has said 5x5?

FAIL.

ReputationRep:
    That's more like it! You'll get stronger in no time - just keep working hard and eating plenty. I hope you're doing similar sets on other important compound exercises too.

(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    THIS.

I don't know any maths students who work 9-5 every day (from the maths students I've seen they have 3 hours of lectures max per day, maybe a bit of homework on top of that), if we were talking vets, medics or dentists, maybe, but they still manage to find plenty of time to work out and have a life.
    Yeah, to be honest maths students get a pretty sweet deal in terms of their workload, especially since unlike other low-ish workload subjects we are seen as one of the most prestigious courses. All scientists, engineers and medics do way more work than me and plenty of arts students too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    Why 6x4 when nearly every poster has said 5x5?

FAIL.
    Ok, that's a little odd but it's hardly as much of a fail as the 15 rep sets. I can't really see that much difference between them and will sometimes change intended 5x5s to 4x6s in the middle of the first set because I fancy an extra rep :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, that's a little odd but it's hardly as much of a fail as the 15 rep sets. I can't really see that much difference between them and will sometimes change intended 5x5s to 4x6s in the middle of the first set because I fancy an extra rep :p:
    LOL sorry I forgot the rollyeyes smiley. I was jokin' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If your starting out concentrate on compound movements. e.g. Bench, Deadlift, Squads, Bent Over Row etc. After this you may like to try HIT principles before concentrating on perhaps the one body part a week workout. But its w/e works for you.

Eating is key as is sleep. Look to eat every 2 hours or so in a healthy way obviously. May like to try creatine/protein supplementation if your serious and have the spare cash.

www.teenbodybuilding.com will be of use to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jiser)
    If your starting out concentrate on compound movements. e.g. Bench, Deadlift, Squads, Bent Over Row etc. After this you may like to try HIT principles before concentrating on perhaps the one body part a week workout. But its w/e works for you.

Eating is key as is sleep. Look to eat every 2 hours or so in a healthy way obviously. May like to try creatine/protein supplementation if your serious and have the spare cash.

www.teenbodybuilding.com will be of use to you.
    Hey, thanks for the link. Do you think it would be good to take "BSN NO-Xplode" (Creatine) and "Optimum 100% Whey Protein" (Protein) before workouts? I can afford it, but I don't know how helpful it would be / what the side-effects would be. I don't want to take anything which will end up messing up my body and interfering with my studying.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the link. Do you think it would be good to take "BSN NO-Xplode" (Creatine) and "Optimum 100% Whey Protein" (Protein) before workouts? I can afford it, but I don't know how helpful it would be / what the side-effects would be. I don't want to take anything which will end up messing up my body and interfering with my studying.
    be careful with the creatine. it can give you big mood swings and is known to reduce testes size! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    be careful with the creatine. it can give you big mood swings and is known to reduce testes size! :eek:
    Woah ok. Thats creatine order cancelled!

EDIT: are you sure? I can't really find references to that online, all the reviews for the products seem pretty decent

ReputationRep:
    Woah ok. Thats creatine order cancelled!

EDIT: are you sure? I can't really find references to that online, all the reviews for the products seem pretty decent
    lol. no mate im taking the piss. creatine is cheap and effective and you should use it. although best to leave it until youve got some training experience behind you. and its only most effective on the big exercises like squats. it wont be noticable on say bicep curls. if you do alot of running like football or rugby then deffinately take it.

use myprotein.co.uk. its the cheaspest around, high quality stuff and you will get a 5% discount if you use this code MP29286

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the link. Do you think it would be good to take "BSN NO-Xplode" (Creatine) and "Optimum 100% Whey Protein" (Protein) before workouts? I can afford it,
    Whether you can afford it is immaterial, why be a mug and pay more for exactly the same if not a better product? Then said person has more money to spend on eating better, gym memberships, gym equipment, having a good time, whatever.

Honestly, save you money and use MyProtein, or BulkSupplementsDirect.

but I don't know how helpful it would be / what the side-effects would be. I don't want to take anything which will end up messing up my body and interfering with my studying.
    Firstly nail you diet. It is absolutely pointless investing in, and taking, all sorts of supplements if your routine and diet is crap, you will simply be pissing them down the drain, literally. Check out the Fitness Sticky, in particular the Healthy Eating section. Then, and only then, if you struggle to get protein into your diet, then turn to supps.

Creatine? It's cheap, try it if you wish (again, MP does it extremely cheap), at the end of the day it is a negligible cost so it is worth giving it a shot. Personally I saw little if any difference. Again, it's a supplement, if you have a decent diet it's unlikely you're going to see much of an improvement.

Lara's just taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    at least i bench more than your misses lol.
    Lol yeah, you must be very proud of yourself

meh, we all start somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    Creatine might even help as supposedly it improves brain power!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3145223.stm

Very old article so there might be more recent evidence to prove/disprove it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.