Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I love Hockey, practice twice a week, and play every weekend (at least once). I used to play for Lancashire and North West (for a little bit, until I had to prioritise).

I've also got an unconditional offer from Loughborough, and would want to carry on with Hockey there. I'd say I'm of a good standard - but certainly not fantastic; Loughborough has the reputation of being the best sports uni with the best hockey teams, I'm just wondering if I would have an chance of getting on any of the teams?

Any responses are much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Depends, you can join try out for the uni hockey team but if you don't get into them you can always try for loughborough town.

During my first year I remember a load of freshers pushed loads of people out of the first team because they were a lot better than the current standard. So varies every year, if you played for county you'll probably have a shot.

ReputationRep:
    i know the loughborough town club is v good, socially as well as ability wise! from encounters i and pepople i know have had with the uni hockey club tho, they are a bunch of ***** - at their summer dinner they went to burleigh court and basically were arses all night then broke down doors and trashed the place, and they have been banned from the union many times for doing ******** stuff, form what i can gather the loughborough town team is lovely though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e_clark)
    i know the loughborough town club is v good, socially as well as ability wise! from encounters i and pepople i know have had with the uni hockey club tho, they are a bunch of ***** - at their summer dinner they went to burleigh court and basically were arses all night then broke down doors and trashed the place, and they have been banned from the union many times for doing ******** stuff, form what i can gather the loughborough town team is lovely though
    Oh dear

I was really hoping that I'd be able to get on the team, as it's on campus and is a main factor of what I was hoping to get out of uni...

Does anyone know how many hockey teams they have?

(thanks for the responses so far, they've been helpful )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hiphopopotamus)
    Oh dear

I was really hoping that I'd be able to get on the team, as it's on campus and is a main factor of what I was hoping to get out of uni...

Does anyone know how many hockey teams they have?

(thanks for the responses so far, they've been helpful )
    They have at least three teams, if not more, and a recreational squad too. And if you're not on the uni teams then you're eligible to play in IMS, which is a tournament between all the different halls.

Mens hockey: http://www.loughboroughhockey.com/HOME%20LSUMHC.htm
    Womens hockey: http://www.lufbra.net/club/womenshockey/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the information

ReputationRep:
    Great username and yeah if you played at county standard or above you have definitely got a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benny_b)
    Great username and yeah if you played at county standard or above you have definitely got a good chance.
    Great username? Did Steve tell you that, perchance?

ReputationRep:
    Btw...its the male hockey team that are the bad lot, the girls hockey team arent any worse than any other female sports team in the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benisright)
    Btw...its the male hockey team that are the bad lot, the girls hockey team arent any worse than any other female sports team in the uni.
    I'm a male :P

I don't really think of myself as a lout either, so I'm screwed on both fronts :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Haha i wasnt sure which you were! But thought id throw that in if it helped. All male sports teams at all unis have a reputation, just hockey has the biggest rep of all the teams.

ReputationRep:
    Haha i wasnt sure which you were! But thought id throw that in if it helped. All male sports teams at all unis have a reputation, just hockey has the biggest rep of all the teams.
    That's a bit poo

I'll go on the open day and see what the place feels like, might try and get down there for one of the home matches...

ReputationRep:
    well it was actually the female hockey teams who caused the most issues/damage at burleigh court for their summer do...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The girls have 5 teams. Not sure about the guys.

Competetive - Yes, impossible, no.

For anything above 3rds you will be expected to eat sleep drink breathe hockey.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.