The Student Room Group

geo 6 marker- HELP!!!!!

hello everyone, i have written a 6 marker for hw but feel like ive written way too much. i just wanted to post it on here to ask whether it is too much or not and what i should do:

Case Study: Chile Earthquake 2010.

Question: Primary effects are worse than secondary effects (6)

On the one hand, some people may agree with this statement as one major primary effect that occurred in the 2010 Chile Earthquake is the amount of people affected. In total, 800,000 people were affected- including 12,000 injuries and 500 deaths. In a HIC, this is a disaster- the numbers should have not even come close to this. Therefore, this number represents the severity of the incident and just how fatal it was. Another huge primary effect is the amount of homes/schools destroyed. In this earthquake, 220,000 homes and 4,500 schools were ruined. Due to this, many people lost their homes and needed to evacuate somewhere else which, except for help from the government, isn’t great because they need to leave lots of their belongings and memories behind and many people had to get temporary housing, which they felt unsafe in and would have affected their mental health. Furthermore, no school means no learning for the school children of Chile. School is very important for every child- it helps them to learn but also gives a bit of stability in their routine. Getting rid of this could be very detrimental to children’s learning and affect them in the long run.

However, some people may disagree and say that secondary effects are worse than primary effects. One major secondary effect is that due to the earthquake, landslides occurred and caused 1500km of road to be blocked/demolished. This caused many remote communities to be cut off for many days, which stopped help getting to these places. Therefore, there was much more damage overall because aid couldn’t get to places that were in need. To add, this would have scared and traumatised these people very much as they may have felt like there was no hope for them and that they weren’t going to get back to how they were for a very long time. Consequently, another secondary effect that took place was tsunamis, triggered by the earthquake. As a result, this devastated coastal towns and destroyed ports. The destroyed ports would have been shocking to the Chilean government/workers as lots of Chile’s foreign trade is conducted by sea and if they cannot happen, then Chile would lose a lot of money, money that could be use to help for reparations of the country.

In conclusion, I would say that primary effects are worse than secondary effects because even though the secondary effects could be classed as the same or worse than the primary effects of the Chilean Earthquake, the secondary effects would not have occurred if it wasn’t for the primary effects. Therefore, primary effects have to be worse.
Bruv this is too much. 6 marker means 2 paragraphs. 1 point and explain and than 1 point and explain. This looks like A 9 MARKER. I think you misconducted the question.
Original post by Walnut23
Bruv this is too much. 6 marker means 2 paragraphs. 1 point and explain and than 1 point and explain. This looks like A 9 MARKER. I think you misconducted the question.

thats what i thought but i don't know what to get rid of. should i get rid of 1 point in each completely or should i just hint it??
Your question should be 12 marker or 9 marker question. It could never be 6 marker question because I think it is from one of the geography past paper questions. If it is a 9 marker than I think it is alright but if it is a 6 there is no need of conclusion like why? who taught you this? I have geography tomorrow and I will send you one of my 6 marker question in which I got 6/6. I'll type you the format.

6 marker question:
1 paragraph= point + Explain
2 paragraph= point + Explain

9 marker question:
1 paragraph = For
2 paragraph = against
3 paragraph= justified conclusion

Wait for my 6 marker question. I will send you but it will be about one of the urbanisation topic.

Original post by anonymousps
thats what i thought but i don't know what to get rid of. should i get rid of 1 point in each completely or should i just hint it??
Original post by Walnut23
Your question should be 12 marker or 9 marker question. It could never be 6 marker question because I think it is from one of the geography past paper questions. If it is a 9 marker than I think it is alright but if it is a 6 there is no need of conclusion like why? who taught you this? I have geography tomorrow and I will send you one of my 6 marker question in which I got 6/6. I'll type you the format.

6 marker question:
1 paragraph= point + Explain
2 paragraph= point + Explain

9 marker question:
1 paragraph = For
2 paragraph = against
3 paragraph= justified conclusion

Wait for my 6 marker question. I will send you but it will be about one of the urbanisation topic.

ok tysm. my teacher said just to write a short conclusion just rounding it up but you don't need to. but please could i see your 6 marker just so i know how it looks like?
Reply 5
hello everyone, i have written a 6 marker for hw but feel like ive written way too much. i just wanted to post it on here to ask whether it is too much or not and what i should do:

Case Study: Chile Earthquake 2010.

Question: Primary effects are worse than secondary effects (6)

On the one hand, some people may agree with this statement as one major primary effect that occurred in the 2010 Chile Earthquake is the amount of people affected. In total, 800,000 people were affected- including 12,000 injuries and 500 deaths. In a HIC, this is a disaster- the numbers should have not even come close to this. Therefore, this number represents the severity of the incident and just how fatal it was. Another huge primary effect is the amount of homes/schools destroyed. In this earthquake, 220,000 homes and 4,500 schools were ruined. Due to this, many people lost their homes and needed to evacuate somewhere else which, except for help from the government, isn’t great because they need to leave lots of their belongings and memories behind and many people had to get temporary housing, which they felt unsafe in and would have affected their mental health. Furthermore, no school means no learning for the school children of Chile. School is very important for every child- it helps them to learn but also gives a bit of stability in their routine. Getting rid of this could be very detrimental to children’s learning and affect them in the long run.

However, some people may disagree and say that secondary effects are worse than primary effects. One major secondary effect is that due to the earthquake, landslides occurred and caused 1500km of road to be blocked/demolished. This caused many remote communities to be cut off for many days, which stopped help getting to these places. Therefore, there was much more damage overall because aid couldn’t get to places that were in need. To add, this would have scared and traumatised these people very much as they may have felt like there was no hope for them and that they weren’t going to get back to how they were for a very long time. Consequently, another secondary effect that took place was tsunamis, triggered by the earthquake. As a result, this devastated coastal towns and destroyed ports. The destroyed ports would have been shocking to the Chilean government/workers as lots of Chile’s foreign trade is conducted by sea and if they cannot happen, then Chile would lose a lot of money, money that could be use to help for reparations of the country.

In conclusion, I would say that primary effects are worse than secondary effects because even though the secondary effects could be classed as the same or worse than the primary effects of the Chilean Earthquake, the secondary effects would not have occurred if it wasn’t for the primary effects. Therefore, primary effects have to be worse.

it's much longer than it needs to be which is fine for a homeowrk question but in an exam you're going to run out of time. If your teacher marks it ask them to highlight which exact parts give you the marks
Original post by mymelo
it's much longer than it needs to be which is fine for a homeowrk question but in an exam you're going to run out of time. If your teacher marks it ask them to highlight which exact parts give you the marks

ok, i was thinking about that i have written too much for if i was in an exam question. however i think i will take your advice and just leave it and ask him to tell me which bits exactly give me marks. tyyy
Sorry for the late reply. One of the 6 markers I did was on climate change. Now you make 1 point and then develop it properly and in a bit detail so you get at least 2 or 3 marks in the first paragraph and in the second paragraph you do the same thing. The Example answer is below.

International agreements are critical in the challenge to reduce global carbon emissions. Use evidence to support this statement.

1st paragraph

(POINT): International agreements are agreements signed between countries and their government to reduce carbon emissions. (EXPLANATION) The Kyoto protocol is an international agreement. UK made it's target and succeeded it as it is also one of the larger carbon producer. You add a bit more explanation to this paragraph and bam 3 marks for this paragraph.

(POINT): It is very important that all large emitting countries should be involved as without them the target will suffer and we may not reach that target. (EXPLANATION) In Paris 2015, it was agreed to keep global temperatures below 2 degree centigrade. United States is the second higher carbon emitter after China. If USA will not support then this target will suffer. You also add a bit more explanation to it a little more just few words or 1 sentence and bam 6/6.

You will be asking how, why:
1. Statistics being mentioned
2. Points being respectfully described
3. Main question is being answered.
4. No hustle bustle, just simple.

If you do not want to follow my method it is alright but the way your teacher is teaching you stuff is like for 9 marker. If not 6/6 than you will get at least 5/6 if you wrote this answer. My geography teacher is blessed. He is AQA examiner, he also marks paper and also teaches so he knows all the trends, types of questions, and how to mark them. We always do GCSE exam questions everyday and he checks it after every topic or lesson. He has increased the grade boundary so we try to get high grades physiologically. If we get 6 in the test we are actually getting 7+ in the exam. If 8 than 9- or 9. If you wanna do with your teacher's method you can go ahead and do that but believe me you have very less time. Once you get the exam you just have to understand and write it quickly. It is always about quality not quantity.

ok tysm. my teacher said just to write a short conclusion just rounding it up but you don't need to. but please could i see your 6 marker just so i know how it looks like?

Quick Reply

Latest