The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Earth Science - What to include in personal statement?

I am applying to Geography to many London universities and Oxford. I am also applying to Imperial for Earth and Planetary Science, and I was wondering what to include so my PS stands out.
Well, my suggestion is to read as many books as you can. To be sure, geography is related to planetary sci. However, they are fundamentally different in that they have different tools. Geography comprises of both natural and physical part, as well as the focus on human, economics and politics. Earth/ geoscience use mathematical modeling and statistics tool more. However, applying to IC doesn't require a particularly strong base in physical science. i studied AS geo and was predicted A for A2. Personally speaking, getting a good grasp of AS and A2 geo can help you do well in IC interview. In terms of Oxford Geography, I didn't had the experience as I was writing in Earth science. However, I wrote about some climate change issue, as well as a geographical information system project I done in year 12. In the end, I reflected on the power of geoscience to change our human progress in planetary evolution and the importance of consideration of biological effect in fossil fuel consumption. .
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by wegetit
I am applying to Geography to many London universities and Oxford. I am also applying to Imperial for Earth and Planetary Science, and I was wondering what to include so my PS stands out.

Might be too late for this, but might be helpful for people in the following years.
for PS, include 1-2 books (make sure you've actually read and understood them), and talk about 1 specific topic that you were interested in within that. Then connect this topic to something else, perhaps a GSL lecture, work experience or a research project. You should basically try to tell a bit of a story with your statement, linking your activities together yet providing a decent variety of topics. Possible activities: book, lecture, visit to a geological site (describe it), work experience. I can't say about geog since i applied for geology.
For the imperial interview, you should be able to describe and expand on everything in your personal statement in detail, and be capable of answering science and maths questions they may ask you linked to this (it's a heavily quantitative subject). Other than that, don't deep it too much, only the elite universities like Imperial and Oxford will even look at your PS for geology, and even then you should be capable of discussing it if you've written it.
Original post by wegetit

Hey, I've received an offer for this course recently so if you have any extra questions about this then feel free to PM me. Overall, as an A lvl Phys student (I didn't even do geography and maths was my only other science-related A level) I focused on an essay comp I entered (focusing on the value of space exploration - won a scholarship and it came up at interview) and some online courses I did. I'd recommend using Future Learn for any short courses etc as a super curricular (e.g. I did a course on AI and Earth Monitoring and wrote a big chunk abt that on my PS). Good luck with everything!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest