The Student Room Group

Are these questions suitable for my EPQ

Hi, I am at the beginning of doing an EPQ, I have a few ideas for my question but I'm not sure if any would be suitable to use.

To what extent could the British Empire be considered a force for good?

Why doesn’t the British Empire exist today?

Will the commonwealth collapse now that Queen Elizabeth II is dead?

Are pensions worth saving for?

I have a few points for each but I don't know if the questions are broad enough or specific enough to do a full EPQ about
(edited 1 year ago)
The first 3 are from the same broad area. The 4th one is totally different.
What subjects are you currently studying, and what (if you plan to go) do you want to study at uni?
I am doing Maths History and Business A-level but I'm not really sure what I want to do afterwards.
I think all 4 questions are well-framed and doable. Your challenge is to decide which one to go with.
The queen/commonwealth and pension questions are currently very topical.
The two empire questions have an ongoing relevance within British culture.
Perhaps the way forward is some preliminary research to determine
- the answer to your question
- that there is a clear debate - at least two positions arguing against each other that you will get stuck into and critically evaluate
- authors/secondary sources (books, articles, etc) you can use
- illustrative examples to talk about / analyse in more detail.
Finally, what most interests you? ( this is important for motivation through the research and drafting process)
I think I would like to do the "To what extent could the British Empire be considered a force for good?" but my problem is that as part of my history course I am doing British Warfare that c1790-1918 so I am worried that - it may gear too close to the course as it covers things like the Second Boer war and Crimean war. As a result I may not be able to do it.
My issue now is that I'm not sure if I will be able to structure a clear argument for the other questions.
Could you switch to the pensions question in that case?
It's highly topical at the moment...
Reply 6
Original post by d_corbett3485
Hi, I am at the beginning of doing an EPQ, I have a few ideas for my question but I'm not sure if any would be suitable to use.

To what extent could the British Empire be considered a force for good?

Why doesn’t the British Empire exist today?

Will the commonwealth collapse now that Queen Elizabeth II is dead?

Are pensions worth saving for?

I have a few points for each but I don't know if the questions are broad enough or specific enough to do a full EPQ about

Why doesn’t the British empire exist doesn’t really leave room for counter arguments, the rest seem well structured. You need to remember criteria is to show balance so you need a question which allows for a counter argument.
Original post by d_corbett3485
I think I would like to do the "To what extent could the British Empire be considered a force for good?" but my problem is that as part of my history course I am doing British Warfare that c1790-1918 so I am worried that - it may gear too close to the course as it covers things like the Second Boer war and Crimean war. As a result I may not be able to do it.
My issue now is that I'm not sure if I will be able to structure a clear argument for the other questions.

I would check it with your supervisor but my EPQ overlapped slightly with my history alevel and it was absolutely fine. I think that as long as your EPQ doesn’t just centre around your history course it should be fine. But definitely check with your supervisor as that sounds like a good question!

Quick Reply

Latest