The Student Room Group

Can I study law at university of Leicester with these btecs?

I study btecs applied law, applied psychology and health and social care.
I want to study law at a Russel group university. Can I study law at university of Leicester
(Original post by Collystudent2021)I study btecs applied law, applied psychology and health and social care.
I want to study law at a Russel group university. Can I study law at university of Leicester

Leicester isnt RG but RG is meaningless. A question like this needs to be directed to the admissions office of the university concerned. Some wont accept Heath and Social care and some wont accept 3 separate BTECs rather than an extended diploma. You would need to ask the university. Only they will know.
Original post by Collystudent2021
I study btecs applied law, applied psychology and health and social care.

You're only allowed to study at an RG university if you can spell it correctly.

Leicester will accept those BTECs - you need D*D*D or higher, with a good GCSE portfolio. Does this apply to you?
Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 12.40.50.png
Original post by Reality Check
You're only allowed to study at an RG university if you can spell it correctly.

Leicester will accept those BTECs - you need D*D*D or higher, with a good GCSE portfolio. Does this apply to you?
Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 12.40.50.png

Ucas course search only shows the extended diploma as acceptable. OP needs to check for the reasons provided.

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016) - D*D*D

Must have a strong GCSE background.
Original post by swanseajack1
Ucas course search only shows the extended diploma as acceptable. OP needs to check for the reasons provided.

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016) - D*D*D

Must have a strong GCSE background.

You've just repeated what I've told the OP. The screenshot is from Leicester's A100 law entry requirements page.

These subjects are all extended diplomas, equal to one A level. You don't get applied law in another BTEC format.
(edited 1 year ago)
You've just repeated what I've told the OP. The screenshot is from Leicester's A100 law entry requirements page.

These subjects are all extended diplomas, equal to one A level. You don't get applied law in another BTEC format.

These are not all extended diplomas. That would be the equivalent to 9 A levels. These are the equivalent of 1 A level each.
These are not all extended diplomas. That would be the equivalent to 9 A levels. These are the equivalent of 1 A level each.

I know - that's why I deleted it in my post. I'm not sure what the confusion is here - the applicant page on Leicester's A100 course page asks for three BTECs at D*D*D with no restriction as to subject, as I've advised. The OP is taking three BTECS... What do they need to check with Leicester?
I know - that's why I deleted it in my post. I'm not sure what the confusion is here - the applicant page on Leicester's A100 course page asks for three BTECs at D*D*D with no restriction as to subject, as I've advised. The OP is taking three BTECS... What do they need to check with Leicester?

Because whilst 95% of universities accept the BTEC they tend to accept the extended diploma in 1 subject which needs to be in an appropriate subject. Some wont accept piecemeal btecs equivalent to 1 A level. The ucas website clearly shows they accept the extended diploma. It doesnt show they accept 3 sperate BTECs which is why only the university can answer this as neither of us know what the university will decide.

BTECs tend to be difficult to know what universities accept. It is very much based on whether a university considers the appropriate BTEC as of an appropriate level compared to A levels. Some subjects are accepted, some arent and others are treated differently by each university. Health and Social, Transport and Tourism and Public Services whereas Applied Science and Business are usually accepted. Only the university knows whether they will accept this. Many using Health and Social extended BTECs get rejected as well
Because whilst 95% of universities accept the BTEC they tend to accept the extended diploma in 1 subject which needs to be in an appropriate subject. Some wont accept piecemeal btecs equivalent to 1 A level. The ucas website clearly shows they accept the extended diploma. It doesnt show they accept 3 sperate BTECs which is why only the university can answer this as neither of us know what the university will decide.

BTECs tend to be difficult to know what universities accept. It is very much based on whether a university considers the appropriate BTEC as of an appropriate level compared to A levels. Some subjects are accepted, some arent and others are treated differently by each university. Health and Social, Transport and Tourism and Public Services whereas Applied Science and Business are usually accepted. Only the university knows whether they will accept this. Many using Health and Social extended BTECs get rejected as well

Yes, fair enough: BTECs are a bit of a minefield with regards to subject and combination, and the A100 course page is unclear as to whether it would be three separate certificates or an extended diploma which would be acceptable. Always best to check - it's only an email, after all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending