Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I was looking in various book stores for a student cook book, but there are so many- so which ones have you used or know about and would recommend ?

ReputationRep:
    don't get a student cook book - they are full of contrived crap. go to M&S and get 'cooks bible' it tells you all about ingredients, techniques, tools, and has broad recipe ideas. it is the best cookbook I own.

ReputationRep:
    My mum got me one, and someone else got me another. I didn't use them as they were for groups of people, and in my house everyone cooked for themself. Something to bear in mind

ReputationRep:
    Nosh for Students is good if you don't have much experience of cooking. the recipes are for one or two portions and the amounts are things like "a mug of" instead of weight so you don't need scales.

ReputationRep:
    just look for recipes on the netterweb man, cookbooks are old news

ReputationRep:
    All the cookbooks I've seen are never that great. They either have simple things which a child could do, or recipes which need 10s of ingredients, which a student budget could never handle.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at this one, written by some friends of mine http://www.sortedstudents.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ophqui)
    just look for recipes on the netterweb man, cookbooks are old news
    ^ This. :yep:

Well, I love recipe books. But my experience of student cook books has been... average at best. We got a few good recipes out of one we had in our house, but actually didn't use many at all. One of the best ones we had just involved putting small pieces of chicken breast in a dish, and smearing a mushed up mess of wholegrain mustard, grated cheese, and a bit of milk over it. Then bake it for about half an hour-40 minutes, and you end up with a cheesy mustardy coating on top of the chicken, and a bit of tasty mustardy juice that you can spoon over your veg. Sooo easy and really quite yummy.

But overall, I'd say go for the internet option.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/
    The BBC food site has loads of stuff on it. Obviously a lot of it isn't geared up towards a student budget, but there's plenty of stuff on there that would be ok for students. It's especially good if you have an idea of what you want to make, but don't know how, because you can just search for it. There's a lot, if you're just planning on browsing.

ReputationRep:
    I nominate the internet...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.