Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We've just been learning about marginal utility and one of the questions for the next class is:

Why is water, a necessity, cheap; while dimaneds, which are surely luxuries, are expensive?

i have a vague idea of the answer: water is plentiful so is cheap so it's consumed to the point where marginal utility is low; diamnds are scarce so are expensive so are only consumed where marginal utility is high.

please help me!!

ReputationRep:
    That's correct. Also the area under the demand curve for water is larger

ReputationRep:
    It's the Diamond Water paradox....if you type that into google I'm sure you'll come up with something...

Basically, you need to think about both the marginal and total utilities for both of them...

ReputationRep:
    Its mainly based around marginal utility, what is the benefit to the consumer for consuming the additional unit of water? Very little, while the benefit for them gaining the additional unit of a diamond is far greater as they purchase far fewer diamonds.

In other words: Assume your basic need for water is satisfied. You are now offered more water and plenty of diamonds. What will you choose?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.