The Student Room Group

Really Concerned About How Necessary Maths Is For A PPE, Please Help.

So, I've made an account purely to ask this question, and that should be testament enough to how distressed I am about this, because I need some recent relevant advice, the last post about this was 8 years ago.
Basically, I want to study PPE at Oxford, and I currently do these four A Levels:
English Literature
Politics
History
Economics.

I know that Maths isn't really necessary, but I've still tried to change. My school is not letting me do it, because it's 'too late to change', so my question is how 'recommended' is Maths A Level to study a PPE course at Oxford?

(For Context I did very good in my GCSEs, straight 9s in everything - apart from French which was an 8, but we don't talk about that.)
Reply 1
So, I've made an account purely to ask this question, and that should be testament enough to how distressed I am about this, because I need some recent relevant advice, the last post about this was 8 years ago.
Basically, I want to study PPE at Oxford, and I currently do these four A Levels:
English Literature
Politics
History
Economics.
I know that Maths isn't really necessary, but I've still tried to change. My school is not letting me do it, because it's 'too late to change', so my question is how 'recommended' is Maths A Level to study a PPE course at Oxford? Would I get by if I didn't do A Level Maths, or even AS?
(For Context I did very good in my GCSEs, straight 9s in everything - apart from French which was an 8, but we don't talk about that.)
Original post by DarkyBolty
English Literature
Politics
History
Economics.
I know that Maths isn't really necessary, but I've still tried to change. My school is not letting me do it, because it's 'too late to change', so my question is how 'recommended' is Maths A Level to study a PPE course at Oxford? Would I get by if I didn't do A Level Maths, or even AS?

It's 'recommended' to take Maths A level ... you will be at a disadvantage without it.
Oxford publish PPE-specific admission statistics here. The information published seems to vary a bit each year, but for 2020-21 they say:

Of the applicants offering A-Levels, 963 had A-Level Maths (or Maths and Further Maths). Of the 452 applicants offering A-Levels who were interviewed, 398 (88%) had A-Level Maths. Of the 161 applicants offering A-Levels who were awarded a place, 149 (93%) had Maths.

They then go on to compare the TSA performance of those with and without Maths A level.

Without Maths at A level, the odds are certainly against you. However, 7% of successful applicants didn't have it. So it's not impossible to gain entry without it.
English Literature
Politics
History
Economics.

I know that Maths isn't really necessary, but I've still tried to change. My school is not letting me do it, because it's 'too late to change', so my question is how 'recommended' is Maths A Level to study a PPE course at Oxford?

Why have you made a duplicate thread
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Why have you made a duplicate thread

To try and get many opinions about the issue. But it's solved now, my school made me take a baseline test, I got 100% and now I've swapped English Lit for Maths.
To try and get many opinions about the issue. But it's solved now, my school made me take a baseline test, I got 100% and now I've swapped English Lit for Maths.

It's breaking forum rules to make a duplicate thread but I am glad the issue is sorted :smile:
English Literature
Politics
History
Economics.

where else do you want to apply?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous w
where else do you want to apply?

Ideally, I'd like to go to an Ivy League in the USA, otherwise - Oxford, LSE or UCL.
English Literature
Politics
History
Economics.

Heya!
It's recommended to have maths for PPE courses across different unis e.g. UCL requires an A* in maths. So it's better to have it as an a-level if possible. Glad it was sorted out for you :h: Best of luck with your applications!!

Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending