The Student Room Group

Maths and Philosophy 2023 Applicants

For everyone applying to maths and philosophy for 2023 entry :smile:
Reply with your university choices, A level subjects, and why you want to take this degree.
hi!
I have offers from Bristol, Manchester and York, also applied to Oxford (Merton) and KCL. MAT soon... probably won't do very well, but will try my best ahah
A Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Music, did the EPQ last year

the degree is perfect for me in terms of balancing the rigidity of maths and the more liberal side of philosophy, I really love the philosophy in Russian literature and music in particular. both are definitely intrinsically linked, and I find it so interesting to make those connections!

what about you?
Original post by sammy_li11
hi!
I have offers from Bristol, Manchester and York, also applied to Oxford (Merton) and KCL. MAT soon... probably won't do very well, but will try my best ahah

the degree is perfect for me in terms of balancing the rigidity of maths and the more liberal side of philosophy, I really love the philosophy in Russian literature and music in particular. both are definitely intrinsically linked, and I find it so interesting to make those connections!

what about you?

I’ve applied for Manchester, Oxford (teddy hall), St. Andrews, York, and Bristol. So far I’ve got offers from Manchester and York.

I’ve always been somewhat interested in philosophy, but I didn’t consider doing it as part of my degree until recently. I did my EPQ in epistemology and logic, which basically convinced me to do maths and philosophy.

The MAT was… interesting. I was doing pretty well in past papers but this one just threw me, I felt like I was reading a foreign language by the end. Im praying the averages for this year are low😅
hi!

what about you?

Hey there, I've applied to do Physics and Philosophy, also at York and Merton (the best college!). So great to have a course with essays and equations! Hope the MAT went well for you. Hopefully see you in MOB quad!
Annie
Original post by aarmitage14
I’ve applied for Manchester, Oxford (teddy hall), St. Andrews, York, and Bristol. So far I’ve got offers from Manchester and York.

I’ve always been somewhat interested in philosophy, but I didn’t consider doing it as part of my degree until recently. I did my EPQ in epistemology and logic, which basically convinced me to do maths and philosophy.

The MAT was… interesting. I was doing pretty well in past papers but this one just threw me, I felt like I was reading a foreign language by the end. Im praying the averages for this year are low😅

your EPQ sounds fantastic!!

ah yes interesting is one way to put it... it did feel quite removed from the past papers.. and question 5 I answered with pure waffle, felt like I was back in GCSE English lolll

other people I have spoken too have all found it awfully difficult as well, so I'm definitely with you in praying the averages are lower!
Original post by AnnieBlue:)
Hey there, I've applied to do Physics and Philosophy, also at York and Merton (the best college!). So great to have a course with essays and equations! Hope the MAT went well for you. Hopefully see you in MOB quad!
Annie

omg nice to meet you!
thank you, although I fear I may have truly bombed it...
did you do the PAT? how did it go?
omg nice to meet you!
thank you, although I fear I may have truly bombed it...
did you do the PAT? how did it go?

Haha yh the PAT did not go as smoothly as I had hoped to say the least. Not too great but not horrendous... it's still left me doubting my chances of getting interviewed tho! From what I hear the MAT was disgustingly hard this year so you might still make it above the threshold. Also what made you choose Merton btw? And have you got an interview from york?
Haha yh the PAT did not go as smoothly as I had hoped to say the least. Not too great but not horrendous... it's still left me doubting my chances of getting interviewed tho! From what I hear the MAT was disgustingly hard this year so you might still make it above the threshold. Also what made you choose Merton btw? And have you got an interview from york?

ahhh fingers crossed for both of us for an interview!

my process of choosing a college was a combo of distance to the Maths building, accommodation duration, music + music scholarship (and I can't lie how pretty it was definitely confirmed my choice..) what about you?

I just got an offer from York, I don't think they want an interview from me; they invited me to go up and visit but it is quite expensive to get there from the south ;-;
ahhh fingers crossed for both of us for an interview!

my process of choosing a college was a combo of distance to the Maths building, accommodation duration, music + music scholarship (and I can't lie how pretty it was definitely confirmed my choice..) what about you?

I just got an offer from York, I don't think they want an interview from me; they invited me to go up and visit but it is quite expensive to get there from the south ;-;

Ah cool, yh Merton's music is ace! What kinda music are you into? The acoustics in the Chapel was one of the things that sold it to me. Also it being a nice size... pretty... lovely garden... and its being close to the city centre and also the meadows. What do you think of the reputation of it being "where fun goes to die" lol? PhysPhil and MathPhil as well are pretty intense courses, especially at the most academic college, but I'm a complete nerd and my idea of "fun" is debating marxism or whether god exists or discussing literature... soooo.... :wink:
It's also really great for physics with 3 full time tutors and the ockham lectures and stuff. Unfortunately professor simon saunders, the dude who practically owns the many-worlds philosophy of quantum mechanics is retiring so who knows who will be covering the philosophy side of things in the potential future!
Congrats on the offer from York btw! :smile:
Ah cool, yh Merton's music is ace! What kinda music are you into? The acoustics in the Chapel was one of the things that sold it to me. Also it being a nice size... pretty... lovely garden... and its being close to the city centre and also the meadows. What do you think of the reputation of it being "where fun goes to die" lol? PhysPhil and MathPhil as well are pretty intense courses, especially at the most academic college, but I'm a complete nerd and my idea of "fun" is debating marxism or whether god exists or discussing literature... soooo.... :wink:
It's also really great for physics with 3 full time tutors and the ockham lectures and stuff. Unfortunately professor simon saunders, the dude who practically owns the many-worlds philosophy of quantum mechanics is retiring so who knows who will be covering the philosophy side of things in the potential future!
Congrats on the offer from York btw! :smile:

I play the piano and violin, so huge into Romantic/20th century solo piano music ahaha - but I like just about anything.. piano music, Wagner (needs his own genre), 20th century, bebop and cool jazz, and then the more modern Laufey and Jacob Collier, some Lawrence recently, (and I had my Kpop and Jpop phases) etc. etc. etc. I could talk all day about anything music, what kind of music do you like??

You mention the acoustics in the Chapel, do you sing? I'm not a formally trained singer as such (sometimes pretty tragic), but I do like singing in school choirs, we've sung some absolute bangers over the years..

LMAO 'the place where fun goes to die' ahah one of my friends did warn me about that, but I don't really mind too much - surely joining a few societies or sports teams will spare us from that reputation? :biggrin: ahh it is your philosophy side coming through, debating the big questions and discussing literature lol (and I have to ask, what literature do you like? I feel like we could have a lot in common!!)

Thank you so much! ~
I play the piano and violin, so huge into Romantic/20th century solo piano music ahaha - but I like just about anything.. piano music, Wagner (needs his own genre), 20th century, bebop and cool jazz, and then the more modern Laufey and Jacob Collier, some Lawrence recently, (and I had my Kpop and Jpop phases) etc. etc. etc. I could talk all day about anything music, what kind of music do you like??

You mention the acoustics in the Chapel, do you sing? I'm not a formally trained singer as such (sometimes pretty tragic), but I do like singing in school choirs, we've sung some absolute bangers over the years..

LMAO 'the place where fun goes to die' ahah one of my friends did warn me about that, but I don't really mind too much - surely joining a few societies or sports teams will spare us from that reputation? :biggrin: ahh it is your philosophy side coming through, debating the big questions and discussing literature lol (and I have to ask, what literature do you like? I feel like we could have a lot in common!!)

Thank you so much! ~

Ah, sweet. Yeah, I love music tho I don't have much background in it. I play the clarinet and used to play in a lot of school bands but I had to quit lessons when lockdown hit (not the most covid-friendly instrument...). Also self-taught the sax so I do like a good bit of jazz. I've been in a few choirs but I'm not a proper singer, I would just really like to get involved in lots of music groups at uni.

Yep, I love debating... tho I sometimes get a bit too argumentative with my teachers haha! I do English Lit for a level so I'm kind of a bookworm. Umm not sure whether there's a specific genre I like... anything well-written and thought-provoking basically. I am a big fan of Tolkien tho (another reason for choosing Merton :smile:) and Oscar Wilde. How about you?
Ah, sweet. Yeah, I love music tho I don't have much background in it. I play the clarinet and used to play in a lot of school bands but I had to quit lessons when lockdown hit (not the most covid-friendly instrument...). Also self-taught the sax so I do like a good bit of jazz. I've been in a few choirs but I'm not a proper singer, I would just really like to get involved in lots of music groups at uni.

Yep, I love debating... tho I sometimes get a bit too argumentative with my teachers haha! I do English Lit for a level so I'm kind of a bookworm. Umm not sure whether there's a specific genre I like... anything well-written and thought-provoking basically. I am a big fan of Tolkien tho (another reason for choosing Merton :smile:) and Oscar Wilde. How about you?

If we both end up in Merton (fingers crossed), I look forward to meeting you in the music groups!!

Tolkien and Wilde, haven't read much of either author - I think I have read the Hobbit years ago, but nothing of Wilde.. you must recommend me some hahah and I will promise to read the Lord of the Rings next summer!
I'm a bit like you, I like to read anything; this year I found a love for Russian literature lols. do you have a Goodreads account?
If we both end up in Merton (fingers crossed), I look forward to meeting you in the music groups!!

Tolkien and Wilde, haven't read much of either author - I think I have read the Hobbit years ago, but nothing of Wilde.. you must recommend me some hahah and I will promise to read the Lord of the Rings next summer!
I'm a bit like you, I like to read anything; this year I found a love for Russian literature lols. do you have a Goodreads account?

Yh don't get me started on why lotr is the best book ever... :biggrin: Oscar Wilde is short and sweet and very funny. The Importance of Being Earnest is brilliantly crafted; Dorian Gray is superb if you fancy something a bit darker but very philosophical. Ooh I'd like to learn some more about Russian Literature! I actually used to speak a fair bit of Russian when I was younger so I had considered trying to read War and Peace in its original language but I think that would be rather a challenge! I do have a Goodreads account, haven't used it in ages though.
Definitely would be great if we both end up at Merton! It seems like we have a lot in common, it would be great to chat in person. A shame the interviews are online this year :frown:
Yh don't get me started on why lotr is the best book ever... :biggrin: Oscar Wilde is short and sweet and very funny. The Importance of Being Earnest is brilliantly crafted; Dorian Gray is superb if you fancy something a bit darker but very philosophical. Ooh I'd like to learn some more about Russian Literature! I actually used to speak a fair bit of Russian when I was younger so I had considered trying to read War and Peace in its original language but I think that would be rather a challenge! I do have a Goodreads account, haven't used it in ages though.
Definitely would be great if we both end up at Merton! It seems like we have a lot in common, it would be great to chat in person. A shame the interviews are online this year :frown:

I'll add those to my to read list, sounds so interesting! ahhh War and Peace in its original ahhaha maybe start with something shorter first? :biggrin: I do like a cheeky Tolstoy short story myself! Definitely a fan of the shorter stuff, one of my teachers recommended Dosto's Brothers Karamazov in January and I started it 12/01/22, I still haven't finished it lol but what I read was phenomenal, the characters still stay with me, it's something I reckon you would like!! (and that very teacher is also a fan of Tolkien and lord of the rings, maybe it's a sign?)

I think being able to read Russian lit in the original is the coolest thing ever, actually a bit in awe and ever so slightly jealous ahahah :colondollar: I taught myself the alphabet (which is something that I use more frequently than I thought I would), but unfortunately that's as far as I think it will go LMAO

Yes, it would be fantastic to speak in person - definitely sad the interviews aren't in person, really wanted to go into Oxford for the experience, and I think you would be able to feel the vibes of the interviewer etc. a lot better, but never mind.. reminds me a bit too much of lockdown lessons haha I don't think my school will let us use a classroom, have to be at home oof

Quick Reply

Latest