The Student Room Group

Alexa uni room connection

I want to connect my alexa to wifi in my uni room but my wifi does not support it unless it is wired, i have registered it as a wired connection but don’t know what wire can be used to connect it. I have an echo dot (3rd generation) is it possible to connect an ethernet cable to it for a wired connection?
Original post by abbi1_
I want to connect my alexa to wifi in my uni room but my wifi does not support it unless it is wired, i have registered it as a wired connection but don’t know what wire can be used to connect it. I have an echo dot (3rd generation) is it possible to connect an ethernet cable to it for a wired connection?

I think perhaps you're misusing the word "wifi". WiFi is, by definition wireless (see here). So saying "my wifi does not support it unless it is wired" makes no sense. I assume you're using "wifi" as a synonym for "the internet" or "my internet connection".

So your issue (is seems) is that there is no wireless internet connectivity (WiFi) in your uni room, and the only internet connectivity is wired. Typically Alexa devices would connect wirelessly, but you're asking whether a 3rd generation Echo Dot can be connected via a cable instead. Have I got that right?

The answer is unfortunately not. This particular device only has a power socket and a 3.5 mm headphone socket. There is no way to create a wired connection to the internet.

However, one option you do have is to use an "travel router" (or similar). I've not used one of these so can't vouch for them, but in theory you plug the device into a network socket (and a power point) and it generates an in-room WiFi access point / hot spot. Whether that's cost-effective is another matter.
Original post by abbi1_

Have you checked with your IT department that they can't connect the Alexa via the wireless network? Universities are likely to be using enterprise-grade wireless authentication that's not as simple to use as a home network -- after all, they're supporting a network with thousands of users rather than the handful of people on a home network. They may, though, have a method of connecting games consoles, smart speakers, etc, that are intended for home use -- you'd need to ask if they can provide that sort of service (and if not, if they can suggest an alternative).
Original post by DataVenia
However, one option you do have is to use an "travel router" (or similar). I've not used one of these so can't vouch for them, but in theory you plug the device into a network socket (and a power point) and it generates an in-room WiFi access point / hot spot. Whether that's cost-effective is another matter.

I suspect a university might frown on people connecting their own wifi routers to the university network, not least as it may have a detrimental effect on other users' experience.

Quick Reply

Latest