The Student Room Group

History and politics at Cambridge

I didn’t take GCSE history and throughout lockdown I discovered my passion for political history especially 20th century political history in the west.

At GCSE I achieved grades 999988887 with a 7 in maths and 9s in English Lit , RS , Geography and business Btech (D*) and hopefully may get one more after a remark in English language 🤞

I’ve been looking into some courses at Cambridge and I was particularly interested in the History and Politics course and have really began to resonate with the course and I have began reading to further fuel my interest.

At A-Level I take History, Politics and Philosophy and through hard work, hope to achieve A*s/A

I didn’t take GCSE History so my question is as follows,

Will I not stand a chance for history and politics as I didn’t do gcse level history?

My second question is , due to my GCSE grades being what they are, do I not stand a chance at Cambridge ?

If I do stand a chance should I look to apply to less oversubscribed modern colleges rather than the traditional ones (I’m interested in Clare or Peter house but people tell me that due to my GCSEs to look at places such as Girton)

Thanks!
Original post by Crystalcreps
I didn’t take GCSE history and throughout lockdown I discovered my passion for political history especially 20th century political history in the west.

At GCSE I achieved grades 999988887 with a 7 in maths and 9s in English Lit , RS , Geography and business Btech (D*) and hopefully may get one more after a remark in English language 🤞

I’ve been looking into some courses at Cambridge and I was particularly interested in the History and Politics course and have really began to resonate with the course and I have began reading to further fuel my interest.

At A-Level I take History, Politics and Philosophy and through hard work, hope to achieve A*s/A

I didn’t take GCSE History so my question is as follows,

Will I not stand a chance for history and politics as I didn’t do gcse level history?

My second question is , due to my GCSE grades being what they are, do I not stand a chance at Cambridge ?

If I do stand a chance should I look to apply to less oversubscribed modern colleges rather than the traditional ones (I’m interested in Clare or Peter house but people tell me that due to my GCSEs to look at places such as Girton)

Thanks!

You will stand a chance - your GCSEs are perfectly fine and not having done History at GCSE really isn't the end of the world. Don't try and play a game of statistics or 'which college is it easier to get into?', just apply to the one you like.
Will I be disadvantage to someone who has got gcse history - even with a passion for history and politics myself?
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
You will stand a chance - your GCSEs are perfectly fine and not having done History at GCSE really isn't the end of the world. Don't try and play a game of statistics or 'which college is it easier to get into?', just apply to the one you like.

Will I be disadvantage to someone who has got gcse history - even with a passion for history and politics myself?

No, not really. You might well be asked about it at interview because it's unusual (particularly as you did a 'normal' number of GCSEs and wen't on a reduced curriculum) so you should be able to explain why just in case it comes up, but GCSE History really isn't that important overall.

I know a student who studied History at Cambridge with STEM A levels ...
Im considering doing the same thing - is there any way you could give me their instagram or anything that I can contact them on?
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
No, not really. You might well be asked about it at interview because it's unusual (particularly as you did a 'normal' number of GCSEs and wen't on a reduced curriculum) so you should be able to explain why just in case it comes up, but GCSE History really isn't that important overall.

Hi, do you know anyone who has switched from the medicine to natural sciences course?

Quick Reply

Latest