Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    One of the sixth forms I may be applying to makes its students do general studies as a compulsory AS/A2 (as well as 4 other AS's).

I never really considered General Studies as an a level option. Iv had a look at an exam paper on the aqa site but im still confused as to what it involves. :confused:

Can anyone who does general studies tell me:

What it involves?
    Easy/hard/interesting? Anything else?
    What is your opinion on this 6th form making the subject compulsory?
    What skills/knowledge will i gain from it?
    Universities view on it?

Thankyouuu any comments appreciated
    xx

ReputationRep:
    oh thats such a shame, because its a really good 6th form otherwise

ReputationRep:
    It's general
    along with critical thinking, unis dont normally include it as part of an offer

ReputationRep:
    I'd expect it to be very general.

ReputationRep:
    So would I. why would you do an a level on that?!

ReputationRep:
    I hate general studies.
    For the people going to academic universities then it is often a waste of time, however SOME universities do accept it. Leeds for example. Basically, the week before the exam look at the specification and answer the questions they tell teachers to teach.
    Got 100% in all of mine , and thats the only work I did. Its an easy grade to be honest, and even though some uni's dont accept it, it does look impressive to write that youve done 5A'levels, particullarly if they are all A's

ReputationRep:
    For AS there's a paper on Maths, whereby you should know some maths. If you take maths at A level, that should be fine. Then there are two other essay and writing based information where you can make it up on the spot, if you are good at writing essays. I did NO revision for them and got an A in each paper.

ReputationRep:
    many 6th forms have GS as a compulsory option. It is apparently a good indicator of how you will do in your other exams.

Basically, it includes stuff from the core subjects. at AS, you get 3 papers - science and technology, maths, and society and culture. there is no coursework.
    If you are good at sitting exams - eg comprehension, some maths skills - it is easy. Usually you'll have about one lesson a week, involving comprehension stuff - eg looking at an article and identifying the meanings of words or phrases - maths questions - if you did reasonably well at GCSE that should be fine.

Universities don't usually count it as an A level, though some may take it into account. just check their websites.

i did not take any GS lessons and did not do maths or a science at A level, and still dropped only ten marks overall.

In theory its ment to give you skills that are required at uni, like presenttions and general knowledge and that.

In practise its a waste of time. Theres nothing hard about it, no coursework and very rarely homework and as EierVonSatan mentioned unis don't care for it, especially higher courses

All it basically is is the study of the outside world, certain arts, sciences, politics etc and your opinion on it say like what makes art or why is this important in scientifical studies.

If your opinionated and watch the news your fine

ReputationRep:
    i dont think any1 really knows what general studies is, even the teachers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a made up paper.
    Maybe I should be willing to take it, it is 5 A levels after all. That would be great.
    My other maybe-chosen subjects are economics maths eng lit chem/phlilosophy
    still making my mind up about chem/philo , the school that does general studies doesnt do philo.
    I think my subjects are quite good accroding to unis, so taking general studies cud be good.
    I wouldnt mind if they ignored it, if its as easy as u all say.

ReputationRep:
    In my school GS is compulsory. However, we're doing both AS + A2 in the first year. So we'll complete it before we start A2 saving time.

The maths and science is pretty much A-A* GCSE in terms of difficulty. So if you're doing 3 Sciences and Maths at AS, then it's a breeze. The other parts are also very easy. Get a bit of text and then there's some multiple choice questions and some other questions. For this, all you'll need is a good understanding of grammar + vocabulary.

ReputationRep:
    thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    In theory its ment to give you skills that are required at uni, like presenttions and general knowledge and that.

In practise its a waste of time. Theres nothing hard about it, no coursework and very rarely homework and as EierVonSatan mentioned unis don't care for it, especially higher courses

All it basically is is the study of the outside world, certain arts, sciences, politics etc and your opinion on it say like what makes art or why is this important in scientifical studies.

If your opinionated and watch the news your fine
    lmao! we get homework from every lesson of GS!
    My school also makes GS compulsory, and while most people seem to absolutely hate it, atm, I don't actually think it's that bad. I don't think I'll do v.well in it but it can't hurt to have an extra AS-level

xxx

(Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel)
    lmao! we get homework from every lesson of GS!
    My school also makes GS compulsory, and while most people seem to absolutely hate it, atm, I don't actually think it's that bad. I don't think I'll do v.well in it but it can't hurt to have an extra AS-level

xxx
    Aww :hugs:

I've had one piece of homework from General since spet, and that was to think of a song and type into youtube to play to the class...

Everyone hates it at my school as well. We do the full A-level, and I'm sure you will to

ReputationRep:
    hmm i went to maybe 4/5 lessons of the science module of AS general studies then took the other 2 modules anyway cause i figured i may as well make it up into the whole AS.. we never got homework, did very little in the lessons i actually bothered going to, i never did any revision, indeed didnt actually own a textbook or look at any past papers - and i got a B overall. And that was from rambling a load of nonsense in the exam. Conclusion: General studies it a complete piss take of an Alevel. Unis don't usually consider it, its not a respected Alevel at all - essentially its general knowlege. Waste of time and paper, really.

ReputationRep:
    I had to do General Studies at A2-they made anyone not doing a 4th A2 subject do GS, either just as an AS or the whole A2 in a year (I did the whole A2). Tbh, I found it rather pointless. I never really bothered revising and still came out with a C (yeah not great I guess, but better than failing!). As long as you know what's going on in the world and can write essays ok, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    lmao. just found out leicester university allow general studies as part of my AAA for Law..

7th best for Law, times best uni of the year, and they allow general studies.. wth?

o well, can't complain

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Sheffield also allow General Studies for the majority of courses :yep:

ReputationRep:
    my school makes us do general studies as, then either general studies A2 or critical thinking AS as well as 4 other ASs. It's such a dull subject but if you're not on EMA you could just not go to the lessons, apparently the exam is dead easy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.