classical singing Watch

Poshtotty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is it possible to teach yourself classical singing (i.e the voice of Hayley Westenra)?

How would you go about it?

And most classical singers do a lot of singing in Italian. Does that mean they can actually speak Italian quite fluently or can they just sing in it?
TEZKesquire
Report 10 years ago
i don't think many actually speak italian. generally i'll learn the songs phonetically, and try to get a basic understanding of what the words mean so i know what i'm singing about! i'm sure you can teach yourself to sing adequately in a classical style, but you might develop dangerous or uncomfortable techniques. maybe it would be worth having lessons occasionally, just to keep yourself on the right track?
Poshtotty
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by TEZKesquire)
i don't think many actually speak italian. generally i'll learn the songs phonetically, and try to get a basic understanding of what the words mean so i know what i'm singing about! i'm sure you can teach yourself to sing adequately in a classical style, but you might develop dangerous or uncomfortable techniques. maybe it would be worth having lessons occasionally, just to keep yourself on the right track?
Do you sing classically then? Do you get lessons?
Also, this may be a silly question but is opera the same as classical singing? I thought that opera was more like Pavarotti but I'm not sure.

I can't really get lessons because they're quite expensive and my parents already pay for me to take piano lessons.

My voice is naturally quite high though and I've been told that I'm more suited to classical singing than pop singing.
TEZKesquire
Report 10 years ago
i sing classically, and i do have lessons - but i think that my voice has been more influenced by regularly singing (in choirs and on my own) than actually having lessons. lessons are good for providing repertoire you might not have known about otherwise, and for helping you with aspects you might struggle with..
classical singing kind of includes opera. some classical singers have really operatic voices, but not all. basically classical is 'not pop' - or rock or folk or whatever.
i'd advise you to join a choir - maybe at school or college, or there are lots of county or city choirs that are either cheap or free. if all else fails join a church choir - it generally doesn't matter if you're not religious, or the wrong religion. i'm jewish and i sing in my catholic singing teacher's choir from time to time...
just get as much experience as you can! it helps that you can read music, since you play piano...
Freckely Tim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, but you do need to look after your voice as well as train it- eg no smoking, not too many screaming nights out, and not TOO much drinking. And I would also reccommend you take lessons regularly- you'll learn much quicker if you've got the advice of someone who knows how to train voices. You'll also need a lot of patience- like everything else, it won't happen overnight!

And join a choir- it's free, fun and you learn lots of warm up techniques that you can practise at home to improve your voice. and of course you get to sing some fabulous music, usually followed by the pub after rehearsals!
ArchedEdge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are a lot of things you'll need to know if you want to sing classically, on things like posture and how to reach the notes properly
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know that I'd put Hayley Westenra in that bracket tbh lol. She has a good range but she doesn't sing the right type of songs (imo) to make her a really good classical/opera singer.

ArchedEdge is right - classical singing is a real art. I took lessons for four years and still have a loooooooong way to go. Daily practice is a necessity. If you do it wrong you can really damage your voice, which is why you shouldn't really attempt to train yourself. Joining a choir is probably the best thing you can do for now.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
even if you get a months worht of lessons to get you on the right path to teach yourself it would be better than starting from scratch
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.51%
No (535)
72.49%

Watched Threads