Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically i have the HSBC my account were i get a linked current and savings account. I was checking my balance and instead of saying £10.00 C, it said £10.00 D. I then tried transferring the money and it wouldnt let me. I then saw that my available balance was £0.00 but my balance was £10.00. Does this mean i owe HSBC £10.00? Please Help.

ReputationRep:
    You're £10 overdrawn on your current account. Do you have any money in your savings account?

have you made a debit card payment for £10 in the last few days?

ReputationRep:
    If it says 10.00 D that normally means you're overdrawn... better put a tenner in before you get charged 30~ or however much it is for going over.

ReputationRep:
    £10.00 D == -£10.00 (a debit as opposed to a credit balance).

You will be charged fees for this.

ReputationRep:
    Thats annoying... on their website is says you cant go overdrawn.

ReputationRep:
    Yep ive checked on their policies and it says they do not give overdrafts on my accounts(which i have) and to customers under the age of 18(im 16)...so whats going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.K.2.K.8)
    Yep ive checked on their policies and it says they do not give overdrafts on my accounts(which i have) and to customers under the age of 18(im 16)...so whats going on.
    They don't give overdrafts, doesn't mean you can't go over... they just charge you if you do.

ReputationRep:
    ok.. i understand, luckily they dont charge an arrangement fee for your 1st overdraft. by the way what is EAR, as they charge intrest of overdrafts at 19.9% EAR variable.

ReputationRep:
    OP you need to get money in there, some HSBCs open on Saturdays (and some on sundays I think). Is there money in your savings account you can transfer into the current account?

ReputationRep:
    no money in savings account.. the earliest i can get money in there is on monday...is that going to be too late to avoid charges.

ReputationRep:
    EAR is Equivalent Annual Rate.
    19.9% interest on overdrafts... that's alot :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.K.2.K.8)
    ok.. i understand, luckily they dont charge an arrangement fee for your 1st overdraft. by the way what is EAR, as they charge intrest of overdrafts at 19.9% EAR variable.
    AER - Annual Equivalent Rate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_equivalent_rate But it's for savings.

Interest on your overdraft will be being charged at the APR - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_percentage_rate

ReputationRep:
    so how much do you think i will get charged if i put money in on monday? Surely it cant be alot?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I don't have the charges in front of me. What is the name of the type of account you have?

ReputationRep:
    Its the HSBC my account(7yrs to 17yrs) and the overdraft is in the my account part of it not the savings one.

ReputationRep:
    I asked about this when I went to HSBC, basically they said they will always let you go £9.99 overdrawn and not care, but as soon as you go over that they will start to charge you. I don't know how soon they start to charge you, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hsbc.co.uk)
    You can't go overdrawn, so don't worry - you can't spend more than you have available.
    That's what's bothering me.

You could try ringing telephone banking and ask why you've been allowed to go overdrawn. Or get to the bank on Monday and see what they can do.

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/c...x1NK:12c58ti63

ReputationRep:
    Ah, OK, b-i-r-g-i-t has answered the question as to why. You might be ok to wait until monday to get it sorted in the branch.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot for all the help.

ReputationRep:
    I would go talk to them, they are normally really nice and might be able to sort it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.