Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I sort of woke up today and couldn't hear through my left ear. I put earex in it, and its been ~2 hours - took the wool out and yet I still can't hear through my left ear...

=[ Advice, please.

ReputationRep:
    whatever you do DON'T use cottonbuds. They are deadly.

ReputationRep:
    Get 'em syringed by the doc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    Get 'em syringed by the doc.
    Ah ***** sake, I hate that. =\

ReputationRep:
    Hydrogen peroxide!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe mexican)
    whatever you do DON'T use cottonbuds. They are deadly.
    what are wrong with cottonbuds??

ReputationRep:
    I'd give it a day or so, as the problem might go away by itself. After that taking a trip to the GP is probably a good idea...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try and hoik it all out with a cocktail stick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoom_uk)
    Pushes the wax deeper in. Affecting the ears ability to push out earwax by itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoom_uk)
    You can either press your earwax too far into your ear or simply destroy your eardrum.
    I still use them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffro1)
    Why not a steak knife?:rolleyes:

OP, you'd be best of seeing your GP to be sure you don't damage your ear.

ReputationRep:
    Use ear drops for about a week or 2. If that doesn't clear it you need your ears syringed. Or, you could do what I did and ignore it. It'll sort itself out after about a year.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Noooo!

Try putting some olive oil in your ear, about 3 or 4 drops. Do this a few times a day for about a week. Then go see your GP and they'll be able to syringe it out for you (they can't syringe without you softening the wax like this, it's happened to me before and it wasted a trip to the docs which was pointless and annoying).

In most cases though the wax falls out by itself if you put oil in so fingers crossed xx

ReputationRep:
    Heat up some olive oil and pour a small amount into your ear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me, myself and I)
    :eek: Noooo!

Try putting some olive oil in your ear, about 3 or 4 drops. Do this a few times a day for about a week. Then go see your GP and they'll be able to syringe it out for you (they can't syringe without you softening the wax like this, it's happened to me before and it wasted a trip to the docs which was pointless and annoying).

In most cases though the wax falls out by itself if you put oil in so fingers crossed xx

i totally agree with this comment. i had this problem and did exactly this and cud hear better after syringed ears....only thing is i have exzecma ( really really dry skin) in my ears aswel..itchy and painful> bad times..lol

anyways gd luck and do wot this person says that ive quoted!

ReputationRep:
    Or a very sharp pencil...

nooooooo you wil only cos an ear infection, swollen ear hole or worse damage ur ear canal/eardrum leading to deafness!

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessarily wax... I'm sure it can also be some sort of middle/inner ear infection that gives the same sensation (hearing loss / feels bunged up). There's no actual wax blocking it in this case. I think it can be caused by some sort of fluid build up in the middle ear. I had it when I was about 7 or 8... was sitting watching TV one day and suddenly went COMPLETELY deaf in one ear. Hahaha. I remember I didn't bother to tell anyone about it, I just morbidly decided that this was it - I was going to be deaf in one ear for life. lawl. I'd completely resigned myself to the fact. As it turned out, it cleared up itself within a few weeks. Hooray! .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.