The Student Room Group

is maths, further maths, chemistry sufficient to study chemistry at uni

Hi guys, I’m in year 12 and taking Maths, Further maths, Chemistry, and physics. I plan to study chemistry (or maybe maths) at university. I initially chose to take physics as I thought i might want to do chemical engineering, but I have now decided that I’d rather just do chemistry.Because of this, I am considering dropping A Level physics as it is an unnecessary amount of hard work that i could put towards my other subjects. I also don’t find the content super interesting. My question is are unis okay with just maths, fm, and chemistry, since it’s essentially only two different subjects?
Original post by jackbindmanc
Hi guys, I’m in year 12 and taking Maths, Further maths, Chemistry, and physics. I plan to study chemistry (or maybe maths) at university. I initially chose to take physics as I thought i might want to do chemical engineering, but I have now decided that I’d rather just do chemistry.Because of this, I am considering dropping A Level physics as it is an unnecessary amount of hard work that i could put towards my other subjects. I also don’t find the content super interesting. My question is are unis okay with just maths, fm, and chemistry, since it’s essentially only two different subjects?

depends on where you want to apply, but generally fm is just seen as complementary to maths in that you’d need a 4th a level and for chem physics would be ideal and seen as very strong regardless whether you wanted to do chemeng or just chem
Yeah that's completely fine with most if not all top universities (Oxford, Imperial etc), a lot of people seem to think further maths is only good as a 4th a level but that's not actually true.
Lots of Chem courses are open to you - the requirement is usually Chemistry and another Maths/science subject.
Also look at subjects like Pharmacology / Drug Discovery etc
Original post by jackbindmanc

Heya!
You should be fine with your selection if you want to focus on chem or even maths :h: For example, UCL chem requires chem and one of bio, physics or maths (you have maths so that should be fine!). However, FM might be seen as a complementary a-level to maths so you might need to have one of the sciences (bio or physics). Though I'm not sure how true it is ( double check with unis you apply). Have you considered switching to bio just in case?

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest