The Student Room Group

Recent criminology graduate

Hi!

I just graduated in July with a 2:1 in Criminology from Aberystwyth University. I just wanted to offer my help/advice to anyone studying a similar degree or considering studying a similar degree.

If you have any questions about university, the topic or want any study help, I'm more than willing to be of assistance! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I do have a very good friend who is also studying Criminology, in his 2nd year. May i request for your opinion, besides to be police or other disciplinary organisations, who kinds of job he could explore for future career? And, any exposure he might try to engage before his graduation? I am sure he'll find your advice very valuable. Thanks!
Is your degree employable?
Criminology degree 🤝 Unemployment
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
OP is on the dole, so no

Damn this is why i'm doing law
Just have a very quick check of some league tables. In terms of 'career after 15 months', the up tier criminology graduates from unis' courses score in range of 70+ to 80+, which is comparable to most of other social sciences subjects (e.g. sociology and social policy). Meanwhile, more than 20 institutions' law graduates score poorer than the score range of criminology aforementioned. What a shame.:s-smilie:

BTW, reading the nasty posts up there inspire me to ask: do law courses teach evidence-based principle? Or liars specially love to fake to be law students?:confused:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Yat Yat
Just have a very quick check of some league tables. In terms of 'career after 15 months', the up tier criminology graduates from unis' courses score in range of 70+ to 80+, which is comparable to most of other social sciences subjects (e.g. sociology and social policy). Meanwhile, more than 20 institutions' law graduates score poorer than the score range of criminology aforementioned. What a shame.:s-smilie:

BTW, reading the nasty posts up there inspire me to ask: do law courses teach evidence-based principle? Or liars specially love to fake to be law students?:confused:

My post wasnt nasty i was genuinely asking ?
Original post by fightorflight66
Hi!

I just graduated in July with a 2:1 in Criminology from Aberystwyth University. I just wanted to offer my help/advice to anyone studying a similar degree or considering studying a similar degree.

If you have any questions about university, the topic or want any study help, I'm more than willing to be of assistance! :smile:

Congratulations on your degree! It's great to see Aberystwyth University alumni on The Student Room helping out prospective students :smile:
Anna
Original post by username54

All degrees suck for employability
Original post by Aberystwyth University
Congratulations on your degree! It's great to see Aberystwyth University alumni on The Student Room helping out prospective students :smile:
Anna

It's not good if she's unemployed 💀

to be fair, in the vast majority of cases law=un/under-employment so I wouldn't get too sniffy about criminology. :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
to be fair, in the vast majority of cases law=un/under-employment so I wouldn't get too sniffy about criminology. :smile:

I wanted to do criminology dw im not judging. TSR told me to do law instead but im more interested in sociology
I wanted to do criminology dw im not judging. TSR told me to do law instead but im more interested in sociology

Why not do sociology then, if that's where your interests lie?
Original post by Reality Check
Why not do sociology then, if that's where your interests lie?

sorry i meant criminology. I'm interested in criminology more . I thought adding Law as well would make my degree a bit more useful. I understand when I get to uni, i'll have to do placements in order to be employable
sorry i meant criminology. I'm interested in criminology more . I thought adding Law as well would make my degree a bit more useful. I understand when I get to uni, i'll have to do placements in order to be employable

Ah, I see :smile:
Original post by Aberystwyth University
Anna

Thank you Anna!
All degrees suck for employability

It's not good if she's unemployed 💀

Rude… I have a job lined up. It’s still an achievement. It's not as easy as everyone seems to think to get a job after graduation, regardless of your degree.
(edited 1 year ago)
OP is on the dole, so no

How would you know? I’m not on benefits of any kind. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Original post by fightorflight66
Hi!

What careers or job are you currently pursuing. It's always fun to learn about different paths people choose! :biggrin:
Original post by lolalegrande
What careers or job are you currently pursuing. It's always fun to learn about different paths people choose! :biggrin:

I’m pursuing a job in the Probation Service currently! Just finding a job in the meantime to earn some money as the PS is notoriously difficult to get into.
Original post by Yat Yat

I know, I don't understand why some of the people on this thread are being so rude towards me, or thinking they know anything about me or my financial situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending