Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Since we're discussing convergence how about  \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{nsinn}{  4^n} ?
    I figure it's divergent because 1/4^n is just a geometric sequence and we're multiplying by increasing natural numbers so that's going to tend to infinity. But sin(n) sign keeps changing so it must be divergent...?
    The question is to do this via comparison test so can I compare it to say  \sum\frac{-n}{4^n} and  \sum\frac{n}{4^n} on either side? One tend to positive infinity, the other negative... so the test wont work?
    Well they tend to positive and minus infinity, but as Yusu inferred, when you put sin back in and think about it... its a bit like a sin graph getting closer and closer to zero I think. Your dealing with a series rather than a sequence though so.. Doesn't converge I think, yea your right. Like 1 -1 + 1 - 1 will never converge
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by yusufu)
    \displaystyle (\frac{3n+2}{2n+1})^n \to (\frac{3n}{2n})^n \to (3/2)^n \to \infty as n \to \infty
    You can't write that, surely?? (That is, you can't write f(n) --> g(n) as n tends to anything. I'm fairly certain you'll need to set up the comparison test here to be rigorous about it.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Well they tend to positive and minus infinity, but as Yusu inferred, when you put sin back in and think about it... its a bit like a sin graph getting closer and closer to zero I think.
    I see that but the problem is the sum of a null sequence is not necessarily convergent (harmonic series is the famous example!). Hence my confusion-- do the terms tend to zero fast enough? What can I compare it to to do a comparison test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    You can't write that, surely?? (That is, you can't write f(n) --> g(n) as n tends to anything. I'm fairly certain you'll need to set up the comparison test here to be rigorous about it.)
    Probably not. I actually wanted to use the squiggly equals sign in place of the first arrow, but didn't know the latex for it! (and = sign in place of the 2nd arrow)

ReputationRep:
    I see that but the problem is the sum of a null sequence is not necessarily convergent (harmonic series is the famous example!). Hence my confusion-- do the terms tend to zero fast enough? What can I compare it to to do a comparison test?
    compare it to n/n^3.
    and note that 4^n> n^3 for n > 2
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    To be honest, my intuition says that it does converge fast enough. After all, we know that |n sin n| <= n, and we know that |n / 2^n| < 1 for large enough n - use those two inequalities to compare it to sum 1/2^n.

Probably not. I actually wanted to use the squiggly equals sign in place of the first arrow, but didn't know the latex for it! (and = sign in place of the 2nd arrow)
    Fair enough. :p:

Incidentally, this drops out nicely enough with the triangle inequality: |(3/2)^n| \leq |(3/2)^n - (\frac{3n+2}{2n+1})^n| + |(\frac{3n+2}{2n+1})^n|. (Edit: oh, wait. That may need a bit more work than I thought, but I think it still works.)

ReputationRep:
    compare it to n/n^3.
    and note that 4^n> n^3 for n > 2
    To be honest, my intuition says that it does converge fast enough. After all, we know that |n sin n| <= n, and we know that |n / 2^n| < 1 for large enough n - use those two inequalities to compare it to sum 1/2^n.
    Got it. Thanks for the help!

I'll now stop overtaking this thread. For this cant we just do

[ \frac{3n+2}{2n+1}]^n = [\frac{3+ \frac{2}{n}}{2+\frac{1}{n}}]^n as  n \to \infty get  [\frac{3+0}{2+0}]^n
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Got it. Thanks for the help!

I'll now stop overtaking this thread. For this cant we just do

[ \frac{3n+2}{2n+1}]^n = [\frac{3+ \frac{2}{n}}{2+\frac{1}{n}}]^n as  n \to \infty get  [\frac{3+0}{2+0}]^n
    Nope. After all, (1 + 1/n)^n --> e. You're applying the limit to the "1/n" bits before applying it to the "^n" bit, whereas you really have to apply them both simultaneously.

Edit: typo.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. After all, (1 + 1/n)^n --> e. You're applying the limit to the "1/n" bits before applying it to the "^n" bit, whereas you realy have to apply them both simultaneously.
    Oops, power series, silly mistake. Of course! Good thing you pointed that out; we did it weeks ago and so many series/sequences things sound similar but are not. Hopefully it will all be a lot clearer around revision time.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. After all, (1 + 1/n)^n --> e. You're applying the limit to the "1/n" bits before applying it to the "^n" bit, whereas you really have to apply them both simultaneously.

Edit: typo.
    Ok.. I think I see what's happening now.. why we can't do that.
    What's the *right* method for me to find the limit?

ReputationRep:
    Comparison. Show (\frac{3n+2}{2n+1})^{n} is greater than or equal to something which tends to infinity. Make the numerator smaller and denominator bigger to do the inequality. You want to get something like x^{n} with x>1.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 16, 2008
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.