Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by museobsessed)
    lol, shower in a bikini?! they have doors on the shower, its not like Big brother. Between them I usually just wore a towel that was big enough to cover me up, bumping into people in the corridor in a towel is something that happens and its never bothered me
    BB style. Maybe I should just invest in bigger towels, all of mine are tiny. I feel like a right idiot for suggesting that now. :p: Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasphlam)
    BB style. Maybe I should just invest in bigger towels, all of mine are tiny. I feel like a right idiot for suggesting that now. :p: Cheers.
    yeh, big towels are a good idea. I got mine for a going to uni present from a family friend, they're awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomber)
    Buy a kettle and a cafetiere. Problem solved. Yeah they provide desk lamps, but they're not very nice, so I have my own.
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe I just end up doing that. Though I'd like an electric kettle because I could just have that in my own room. I'd be much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Are you staying in Old Court again QI Elf? There's a chance I might be your Sub-Warden next year, at least I'm hoping I get Old Court!

Nope, I'm in The Beeches. A friend of mine was there this year and is staying on so I'm joining her!!! I can't wait to get back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    Nope, I'm in The Beeches. A friend of mine was there this year and is staying on so I'm joining her!!! I can't wait to get back!
    Haha, not Ellie by any chance?! I'm sitting in the Beeches as we speak. I'm so sad and infuriated to have to leave, I love it in here. Ellie and I had plans to sort the garden out next year

ReputationRep:
    Haha, not Ellie by any chance?! I'm sitting in the Beeches as we speak. I'm sad to leave it, I love it in here
    YES!!! I've visited The Beeches a few times and it seems amazing. I loved Beaumont but am looking forward to moving in there. You were the subwarden there, right? How come you aren't staying on? Do you know what the new one is going to be like?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah she told me about the garden club she wanted to do. Something about doing the courtyard up. My room will look out over it and apprently it isn't the greatest of views.

ReputationRep:
    YES!!! I've visited The Beeches a few times and it seems amazing. I loved Beaumont but am looking forward to moving in there. You were the subwarden there, right? How come you aren't staying on? Do you know what the new one is going to be like?
    Haha, I've probably met you then :p:

I'm moving because they're trying to close down the Sub-Warden system in John Foster, replacing them with 'Residential Advisers' and basically trying to rip us off in the process.

All the JoFo Sub-Wardens have left, the Warden's retired, the assistant warden has resigned, and they currently have 4 (out of 12) applications for the Residential advisor post. It's an absolute disaster, I have no idea who, if anyone, is going to be in here next year. That's why I've been put in Beaumont instead - I don't like John Foster as a hall of residence, but damn I love the houses, I'm really gutted to have to leave

ReputationRep:
    Yeah she told me about the garden club she wanted to do. Something about doing the courtyard up. My room will look out over it and apprently it isn't the greatest of views.
    That's the room next door to mine, where I'm sitting right now. Weird :p:

I wouldn't worry about the views too much, it's the best room in the house, I assume you mean Sarah's room last year?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I've probably met you then :p:

I'm moving because they're trying to close down the Sub-Warden system in John Foster, replacing them with 'Residential Advisers' and basically trying to rip us off in the process.

All the JoFo Sub-Wardens have left, the Warden's retired, the assistant warden has resigned, and they currently have 4 (out of 12) applications for the Residential advisor post. It's an absolute disaster, I have no idea who, if anyone, is going to be in here next year. That's why I've been put in Beaumont instead - I don't like John Foster as a hall of residence, but damn I love the houses, I'm really gutted to have to leave
    Wow. That sounds a really **** system. Why 'fix' if it's not broken :rolleyes: Guess I'll just have to wait and see what heppens regarding the situation then. Glad Beaumont isn't changing though. I had a fab time there.

Yeah, I've only been in JoFo a couple of times but it sucks your soul out. Weirdly my Gran stayed there a couple of nights a month or two ago on some local history course thing and she hated it. She didn't believe me when I said it was the most expensive hall yadda yadda yadda!

ReputationRep:
    Woo for the best room in the house!!!! :woo:

I'm pretty sure Sarah was in it last year. I never went in it (and I don't think Ellie did either) but I've seen a couple of facebook pictures of it. I'm still jealous of Ellies wardrobe though. You could pratically live it it! I think I have just a standard boring one!

ReputationRep:
    Wow. That sounds a really **** system. Why 'fix' if it's not broken :rolleyes: Guess I'll just have to wait and see what heppens regarding the situation then. Glad Beaumont isn't changing though. I had a fab time there.

Yeah, I've only been in JoFo a couple of times but it sucks your soul out. Weirdly my Gran stayed there a couple of nights a month or two ago on some local history course thing and she hated it. She didn't believe me when I said it was the most expensive hall yadda yadda yadda!
    Yup, it's really terrible and a lot of people are extremely angry about it, myself included. It's really dented my opinion of the university as a whole unfortunately. It's not just what they're doing, it's the underhand way that they've gone about it. It really is disgusting, and the people who are going to suffer next year are John Foster students unfortunately. The houses, providing there's a nice bunch of people in there should be fine, but I really fear for the pavilions.

Heh yeah, I probably met your gran too! I assume you mean the Local History after Hoskins conference? My undergrad supervisor (Chris Dyer) organised it so I was helping him to run it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Woo for the best room in the house!!!! :woo:

I'm pretty sure Sarah was in it last year. I never went in it (and I don't think Ellie did either) but I've seen a couple of facebook pictures of it. I'm still jealous of Ellies wardrobe though. You could pratically live it it! I think I have just a standard boring one!
    Yeah I barely even saw her all year, was a little odd really. It's about twice the size of most of the rooms downstairs, and considerably bigger than Ellie's, but yeah, no built in wardrobe unfortunately!

ReputationRep:
    Yup, it's really terrible and a lot of people are extremely angry about it, myself included. It's really dented my opinion of the university as a whole unfortunately. It's not just what they're doing, it's the underhand way that they've gone about it. It really is disgusting, and the people who are going to suffer next year are John Foster students unfortunately. The houses, providing there's a nice bunch of people in there should be fine, but I really fear for the pavilions.

Heh yeah, I probably met your gran too! I assume you mean the Local History after Hoskins conference? My undergrad supervisor (Chris Dyer) organised it so I was helping him to run it :p:
    Yeah, I'm sure it was called that!! Weird!

I think I have met you. Did your fridge once break so you used the girls' one? Ellie and I were in the kitchen making popcorn when you came in.

It does sound an awful set up they've got going on. I'm surprised that they haven't sussed it won't work becuase of the numbers leaving/ not applying for the subwarden/ residential advisor post.

Grr.. I just hope The Beeches will be ok. I'm so glad I'm not in the pavillions though. I just can't understand why they aren't keeping the wardens. I mean most of them (well the ones I've come accross) are great at sorting of issues (and in block 4, we had our fair share last year :rolleyes: ) and I can't imagine it would be the same now, especially with so few applying.

I'm sorry you've been treated so badly. I hope this doesn't reflect the direct the uni is going in but from what you've said, it seems almost to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I barely even saw her all year, was a little odd really. It's about twice the size of most of the rooms downstairs, and considerably bigger than Ellie's, but yeah, no built in wardrobe unfortunately!
    And her's is massive as it is (well, I thought so anyway!)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm sure it was called that!! Weird!
    I think I have met you. Did your fridge once break so you used the girls' one? Ellie and I were in the kitchen making popcorn when you came in.
    Haha, yeah that was me :o:

I don't know what's going to happen next year, but they have to sort something out and fast. I'm afraid it reflect the way that the university is headed. If you notice students are not longer called students on their letters but customers instead, the Residential and Catering service is now called Residential and Commercial services. Under the guise of 'professionalism' the emphasis is shifting away from providing an accommodation service that is genuinely good and well equipped for the students of the university, but rather to one that is most profitable. Since the amount of profit that can be garnered from students is legally limited, the money is in the conference industry. The net result is that the students end up getting treated like second class citizens, rather than being the lifeblood of the institution, which they used to, and should still be.

It's sucking the soul out of the place and it makes me sick to my stomach. They're destroying everything that made this place, in my opinion, quite special to study at and it's entirely put me off doing a PhD here.

But damn, I've just realised this is not the kind of talk you want to hear when you're about start here as a fresher! They haven't killed it yet, and there is still plenty of amazing stuff here.

ReputationRep:
    You are making me want to not go back next month. Ta.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a lost cause, but I've come to the opinion that the students really need to be aware that this kind of thing is happening, because ultimately they're the only ones who can stop it. The management needs to remember that this is a non-profit, educational institution first, and a supplementary conference service second. Of course with most students being 18 and only living here for a year, they don't get to see the degradation. You can only see it once you've been in for a while.

The main reason I'm so sad though, is because it's becoming like every other university. It's not degrading to the extent that it's becoming a worse place to study than others, but it's losing what made it better, and what made it special. The sooner they realise that, the sooner they can start realising the amazing potential of the halls here.

With them closing down the Sub-Warden system, it's also going to mean that the undergraduate of today is going to lose a very good way to help them fund post-graduate study, it's the only way that I could afford to study for my masters.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting discussion. I agree, but I would add that students are screwed either way as student houses and landlords are as bad if not worse. Basically people are just going to have to put up with it and as it doesn't affect the quaility of teaching I don't think people will be put off.
    My subwardern was crap

ReputationRep:
    Hey people,
    Just thought i would say hello to anyone joining Leicester next year.
    Im also a sub-warden at JoFo (for the time being) and will be moving to Beaumont next year. I just want to say, ive lived in university halls of residence for 4 years now, next year will be my 5th, and i have stayed in a variety off types of accommodation. Im currently living in one of the pavilions in John Foster and will be moving to a Block in Beaumont. I used to live in Beaumont before i was a sub-warden.
    Dont be put off by anyone with regards to any offer of accommodation you have been made. From experience, people tend to make university halls life what it is, not necessarily the place, although some can be more advantageous than others. Plus different people look for different things when they apply for their accommodation, so if people say one is rubbish for some reason or other, dont take that as 'its rubbish full stop!', 'you will hate it'. Take things as you find them, enjoy what you have and make the best of it. You will most likely have a great time. Dont be put off by personal opinion.

Unless things change, im sure i will see some people in Block 7 Beaumont next year.

muchos love xxxxx

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.