Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    I think a girl from GMS died of it during my first year (2007)
    A girl definitely died, and thats what it was rumoured to have been, although I cant say for sure as I didnt know her. Meningitis advice and leaflets did appear very suddenly in all of the blocks though.

I had the jab last year, seeing as we are all in the at risk age group. It was free and the health centre is practially on the same road as the university, so I thought I may as well.
    The last death we had from Meningitis in halls was, I believe, in 2004. There was one more recently in Leicester, but it was a lady who was not a student. It is rare, but I can't emphasise enough how important it is to be aware of the symptoms, and if you have any slight concerns to let someone, usually your Sub-Warden know straight away. If you have a stronger suspicion, just ring an ambulance straight away, and tell them you suspect meningitis. Take particular care if the person who is poorly has dark skin - the most recent death was partially because the lady, who had dark skin, had missed the tell tale rash that can sometimes occur.

Another thing to be aware of it that people are at more risk after recovering from an illness like flu. If someone who has been ill recently falls ill again, please let someone know. We'll be pushing this quite hard with the students this year especially.

http://www.meningitis-trust.org/Signs-Symptoms.html

You really shouldn't worry unduly, it is very rare - but I cannot stress enough how important it is to be aware of the symptoms, and if you have any doubts whatsoever, ring one of us straight away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomber)
    The last death we had from Meningitis in halls was, I believe, in 2004. .
    Not too sure what that particular girl had died of then, its unfortunate regardless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomber)
    The last death we had from Meningitis in halls was, I believe, in 2004. There was one more recently in Leicester, but it was a lady who was not a student. It is rare, but I can't emphasise enough how important it is to be aware of the symptoms, and if you have any slight concerns to let someone, usually your Sub-Warden know straight away. If you have a stronger suspicion, just ring an ambulance straight away, and tell them you suspect meningitis. Take particular care if the person who is poorly has dark skin - the most recent death was partially because the lady, who had dark skin, had missed the tell tale rash that can sometimes occur.

Another thing to be aware of it that people are at more risk after recovering from an illness like flu. If someone who has been ill recently falls ill again, please let someone know. We'll be pushing this quite hard with the students this year especially.

http://www.meningitis-trust.org/Signs-Symptoms.html

You really shouldn't worry unduly, it is very rare - but I cannot stress enough how important it is to be aware of the symptoms, and if you have any doubts whatsoever, ring one of us straight away.
    I had a meningitis jab when I was 9 or 10 (I'm 18 now). Do I need to get another one?
    I'm really worried after reading these death stories :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanillaCat)
    I had a meningitis jab when I was 9 or 10 (I'm 18 now). Do I need to get another one?
    I'm really worried after reading these death stories :eek4:
    Id have thought so, you are supposed to have a booster when you are 13ish I think. Thats why I had to have mine last year- because I hadnt had a booster as a teenager.

ReputationRep:
    Id have thought so, you are supposed to have a booster when you are 13ish I think. Thats why I had to have mine last year- because I hadnt had a booster as a teenager.
    Oh, ****.
    It's probably too late to get it done in my hometown now. If I go to, say, Oadby Doctors on 28th and hand in my registration form, how long will it be before I can get an appointment with the nurse?

ReputationRep:
    All these jabs that I've never had....

ReputationRep:
    I had a meningitis jab when i was 13 in my school because a guy a few years above me died suddenly from it, he went to the school nurse saying he felt unwell and a few hours later he died .

Enough of the scary stories though its better to get it done so you have peace of mind.

Who's all ready for moving in? I've been packing all day...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, ****.
    It's probably too late to get it done in my hometown now. If I go to, say, Oadby Doctors on 28th and hand in my registration form, how long will it be before I can get an appointment with the nurse?
    I think you can get one right away, after I registered I made an appointment for the same afternoon (although for something else)
    If you just tell them you want to book an appointment for a meningitis jab, they'll sort it for you

Because they didnt have my medical records though I had to answer alot of extra questions, so just make sure you are prepared for that if they need to ask. It was all general stuff, not specific medical info though.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can get one right away, after I registered I made an appointment for the same afternoon (although for something else)
    If you just tell them you want to book an appointment for a meningitis jab, they'll sort it for you

Because they didnt have my medical records though I had to answer alot of extra questions, so just make sure you are prepared for that if they need to ask. It was all general stuff, not specific medical info though.
    Thanks a lot!

I've also got a question, might seem a bit silly but here goes. If I were to go out, to an event in town, how often are buses and stuff? I'm going to be at Mary Gee Houses (Ratcliffe Road) so it's not like there would be the main bus to Oadby, or something. I don't know, it's making me a little bit apprehensive, as if there'll be limits to stuff I can go to.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!

I've also got a question, might seem a bit silly but here goes. If I were to go out, to an event in town, how often are buses and stuff? I'm going to be at Mary Gee Houses (Ratcliffe Road) so it's not like there would be the main bus to Oadby, or something. I don't know, it's making me a little bit apprehensive, as if there'll be limits to stuff I can go to.
    In the day time the 80/80A run every 10 mins.
    On a saturday every 30mins
    Sunday, not at all, you would have to walk to the end of the road and get the 31 which runs regularly.

Oh and you would get the same bus as Oadby people as it goes past mary Gee.

They change during the evening to about every 30 mins after something like 6.15pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    In the day time the 80/80A run every 10 mins.
    On a saturday every 30mins
    Sunday, not at all, you would have to walk to the end of the road and get the 31 which runs regularly.

Oh and you would get the same bus as Oadby people as it goes past mary Gee.

They change during the evening to about every 30 mins after something like 6.15pm.
    Oh, cheers what time do they stop running, if any?
    (Sorry for sounding like a n00b, but I've never lived in the city before)

ReputationRep:
    Oh, cheers what time do they stop running, if any?
    (Sorry for sounding like a n00b, but I've never lived in the city before)
    About 11.20pm if I remember rightly.

You don't sound like a n00b. Before last year, I wouldn't have had a clue either. We all have to start somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    About 11.20pm if I remember rightly.

You don't sound like a n00b. Before last year, I wouldn't have had a clue either. We all have to start somewhere!
    Haha, thanks ^^
    But what if you get home at, say, 3am? Is that what the safety bus is for?

ReputationRep:
    yes it is

ReputationRep:
    Do they ID at Walkabout? For the Foam Party on Sunday. The girl next door isn't eighteen yet and we don't want her to miss out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasphlam)
    Do they ID at Walkabout? For the Foam Party on Sunday. The girl next door isn't eighteen yet and we don't want her to miss out.
    Yes they do, even during freshers.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do, even during freshers.
    Oh that sucks, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, thanks ^^
    But what if you get home at, say, 3am? Is that what the safety bus is for?
    Yep. The saftey bus runs from uni to anywhere within the city every half an hour until 6am! Last year it was quarter to and quarter past every hour, I don't know if it will be the same or not this year.

If you were with a group, you could always get a taxi as it works out about the same as the saftey bus if you are with about 5 others.

ReputationRep:
    Theres a foam party tonight at Zanzibar aswell for anyone whos down here already. I'll probably be there

ReputationRep:
    My students loans haven't come through yet, in fact I've had little contact with them for two months, apart phoning them and asking what else needs sending. The Directgov website hasn't changed at all since I first submitted the loan two months ago.

Anyway, I can't register with Leicester's server, I haven't received the letter confirming my loan that needs sending to Leicester and the deadline for accomodation is 16th of October.

I know the systems ******, can someone tell me what they've heard from the university about all this? Lie if you want...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2017

University open days

1. University of Leicester
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of Leicester
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.