Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    Do you reckon departments will be looking at emails this weekend? I just found out this morning I cant take my eurostar train and I'm worried they wont open the email till Monday morning and say 'oh, too late! You fail your exam and get a 0 on your problem sheets! MWAHAH!'

Rubbish snowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :mad: I WANT TO GO HOOOOOOOOOOME!!!
    i was sent an email asking to inform them ASAP if the weather is likely to cause you to miss exams. they're prepared for it happening, just let them know somehow and all should be fine!

was at St Pancras yesterday, i saw massive queues for the Eurostar and heard loads about massive delays

ReputationRep:
    I made it! I get to take an exam on Observational Astronomy tomorrow, yay!

ReputationRep:
    Goodluck. =D

ReputationRep:
    *apparently* i'm DJing in jofo bar tomorrow night, doing a ska set. feel free to turn up and proclaim your TSR allegiance to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)
    *apparently* i'm DJing in jofo bar tomorrow night, doing a ska set. feel free to turn up and proclaim your TSR allegiance to me...
    sounds fun sir!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! Quick question, does anyone know anything about the Evington Road / East Park Road area? My house for next year is there and we've all paid the deposit and everything, but since doing that I've head a few things about it being a bit dodgy :s

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i am thinking of going to leciester this sep and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the uni and the area is multicultural. i haven't been to the open day yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatnikkidid)
    Hi everyone! Quick question, does anyone know anything about the Evington Road / East Park Road area? My house for next year is there and we've all paid the deposit and everything, but since doing that I've head a few things about it being a bit dodgy :s
    I won't lie, Evington Road area is dodgy compared to Clarendon or Welford Road etc. But I haven't heard anything genuinely bad happening to anyone, and it's usually good value for money - plus it's not too far away from the uni and town.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rurounikenji)
    hey guys i am thinking of going to leciester this sep and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the uni and the area is multicultural. i haven't been to the open day yet.
    Yes, it's very multicultural. Leicester is/was the most multicultural city in the UK! That's not a problem though, obviously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redpanda91)
    Yes, it's very multicultural. Leicester is/was the most multicultural city in the UK! That's not a problem though, obviously
    Thanks for telling me and how is the crime rate in the area/uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rurounikenji)
    Thanks for telling me and how is the crime rate in the area/uni
    Umm in halls I've only heard of a couple of incidents all year, one guy's laptop was stolen on move-in day, but you just have to be really careful. As long as you lock your room it's fine! Not really sure about the crime rathe in Leicester/on campus itself, I assume it's pretty average. There are housing areas that are said to be "safer" than others, like Clarendon Park is meant to be the safest, whereas Evington (just past uni) is meant to be a bit dodgy, but I don't know because I'm in halls atm

ReputationRep:
    I live on Evington Road, yes its not the nicest place, but its more dirty than unsafe. There is a massive melting pot of people from all over the world but mostly people just get on with their own lives. In second year we had a police knock on the door asking for information on crimes twice, but nothing like that has happened this year. You get bunches of kids hanging around but they generally ignore you as well. Basically, I feel safe, but I try to avoid walking back on my own late at night. During the day its as safe as anywhere gets

ReputationRep:
    Ergh! I just wanted to have a rant about this because I think it is so ridiculous! I'm in Digby hall and although they're separate halls, we're technically joint with Beaumont, we share a JCR etc.
    Unfortunately, everyone who's in charge of the supposedly joint Beaumont and Digby doesn't appear to give a crap about Digby. We don't have our own dining room or bar, which I can understand because that would be very expensive since we're such a small hall, but we don't even have any communal areas where we can just sit and have a chat. It's ridiculous that we're expected to walk up to Beaumont just to sit on a bloody sofa! The annoying thing is that there are actually rooms in Digby house which could be used for that purpose, but for some obscure reason, they keep them all locked!
    Since we'd all been complaining about this our Digby...representative or whatever they're actually called, was emailing the accomodation guy asking if we could have some of the rooms opened up, there is a room with a table tennis table in it...which is locked, and he said that he would open that one and would look into opening another one and getting a TV in it. After a bit of emailing back and forth the end result was that they've now decided that instead of doing that they're NOT going to open any of the rooms, and they're just going to move the table tennis table up to Beaumont. Surely it would be easier to just unlock the room than to move the table up the road? Thanks Beaumont. Thanks a lot.

/rant.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear I knew that would happen. My year was the last year at Digby with an open bar and all meals in the dining room. Such a shame

ReputationRep:
    F*****g hell Digby. Sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Ergh! I just wanted to have a rant about this because I think it is so ridiculous! I'm in Digby hall and although they're separate halls, we're technically joint with Beaumont, we share a JCR etc.
    Unfortunately, everyone who's in charge of the supposedly joint Beaumont and Digby doesn't appear to give a crap about Digby. We don't have our own dining room or bar, which I can understand because that would be very expensive since we're such a small hall, but we don't even have any communal areas where we can just sit and have a chat. It's ridiculous that we're expected to walk up to Beaumont just to sit on a bloody sofa! The annoying thing is that there are actually rooms in Digby house which could be used for that purpose, but for some obscure reason, they keep them all locked!
    Since we'd all been complaining about this our Digby...representative or whatever they're actually called, was emailing the accomodation guy asking if we could have some of the rooms opened up, there is a room with a table tennis table in it...which is locked, and he said that he would open that one and would look into opening another one and getting a TV in it. After a bit of emailing back and forth the end result was that they've now decided that instead of doing that they're NOT going to open any of the rooms, and they're just going to move the table tennis table up to Beaumont. Surely it would be easier to just unlock the room than to move the table up the road? Thanks Beaumont. Thanks a lot.

/rant.
    nikkiiiiii :hi:

ReputationRep:

/rant.
    yeah, it sucks bigtime. i was in Beaumont for 3 years, at the start Digby was still a real hall, and i saw the whole transition happen. sucks a bit, but it saves cash at the top, which is all that matters for those in control. they should have at least kept Digby bar open.

i was on the joint JCR last year and i know most of this year's JCR, admittedly we were / they are quite detached from Digby. however that's only because no students ever stayed on for more than one year in Digby, so there were never any Digby folk on the JCR etc. from a student's point of view there isn't really any way around it, i guess. Digby has been destroyed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JT)
    nikkiiiiii :hi:
    HI HANNAH! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I'll ask this in the chat thread because I don't think it warrants a new thread....

Are there any black tie (dinner jacket etc) events at the University of Leicester? And are there any events that require black tie dress during Fresher's?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Achilles91)
    I'll ask this in the chat thread because I don't think it warrants a new thread....

Are there any black tie (dinner jacket etc) events at the University of Leicester? And are there any events that require black tie dress during Fresher's?

Cheers!
    Mainly the Xmas balls for the respective halls. But you've missed that boat. The summer balls are in two parts I think. The halls ones anyway, but you don't need to dress up for those

The actual Uni summer ball is casual during the day and then smart at night! This year, for example,I will be wearing my Kilt!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.