The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

The Leicester University chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Hey, does anyone know what the high speed internet costs?
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
What do we do on the 1st day there (29th)?

And who's gonna miss it/arrive later than the 28th?
Original post by Cola_23

I received an email from my department (physics) saying I have to go hand in a registration form and attend a lecture.
I also have to attend introductory lectures on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of October. Yet I thought the freshers week/fair was 1 or 2 weeks and started on the 29th. It is quite confusing so if anyone can clear it up that would be helpful thanks.
Original post by Moist Penguin
I received an email from my department (physics) saying I have to go hand in a registration form and attend a lecture.
I also have to attend introductory lectures on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of October. Yet I thought the freshers week/fair was 1 or 2 weeks and started on the 29th. It is quite confusing so if anyone can clear it up that would be helpful thanks.

Original post by Cola_23

The first week is for admin stuff for your enrollment onto your course and lectures and gives you the first taste of them. Completely normal. It is normally in these you get more an idea what your reading lists are. No work will need to be done for them usually, that starts after the first lecture.

There is Fresher's fortnight to get you acclimatised to being at the University of Leicester. It is basically just different events each night over the first two weeks of term plus fresher's fair on the first two days.

Just a warning now. Every Fresher's fortnight is going to feel the same with almost identical acts and events...
Is it my course that starts on the 29th or is that for the intro week/freshers?
Original post by Moist Penguin

Original post by SirMasterKey
The first week is for admin stuff for your enrollment onto your course and lectures and gives you the first taste of them. Completely normal. It is normally in these you get more an idea what your reading lists are. No work will need to be done for them usually, that starts after the first lecture.

There is Fresher's fortnight to get you acclimatised to being at the University of Leicester. It is basically just different events each night over the first two weeks of term plus fresher's fair on the first two days.

Just a warning now. Every Fresher's fortnight is going to feel the same with almost identical acts and events...

Thanks for the info. I tried looking at the Econ dept's website too and found last year's induction timetable: saw some "compulsory" induction talks/classes/study skills and computing/library induction etc.

Cause my parents only free on mondays so didn't know if it'd be fine to arrive on the 29th instead of the 28th, missing some admin/induction stuff.

Now applied for the early arrival, hoping to arrive on the Monday before term/freshers (22nd). So I'll see, hope I get the same room as my term room.

Anyone know how much I'll have to pay for arriving early?? :rolleyes:
Does anyone know if it's worth getting a freshers wristband?
Has anybody received any info from biological sciences?
I'm currently an A2 student studying A2 in Sociology and Psychology and AS Religious Studies and Citizenship. I previously did Business Studies and Accounting at AS but got an E in Business Studies and U in Accounts.

I have no idea why I picked up Religious Studies and I'm thinking of doing Media Studies, in replacement.

I'm planning on applying to Essex, Hull, Leicester, DMU and Aston University to do Business and Management and I don't know if they will decline my offer because I got an E in Business Studies, and also if Media Studies would help me get to any of those Universities.

I'm planning on getting 2 B's at least in my A2 subjects and 2 A's in my AS subjects.

Please, if anyone can help me it will be appreciated!!!

I want to apply to go to University this year to attend next year.
What do we need to bring in the way of kitchen items for catered accommodation? Obviously we get breakfast and dinner but will need to make lunch sometimes and things...
Original post by footballman1
Does anyone know if it's worth getting a freshers wristband?

How often do you normally go out drinking now? If it is something you do then it could be worth it. I'd look closely at what is happening and see what you actually want to go to.
Has anybody received any info from biological sciences?
Reply 912
Does anyone know how many guests I can bring to one of the freshers events? Do they have to be students?
Original post by artek
Does anyone know how many guests I can bring to one of the freshers events? Do they have to be students?

Normally it is 1 per person but you could get away with 2. Anymore just make sure you're going in with other uni students around you. Housemates for instance.
How long do the fresher's wristbands go on sale for? Is it possible to wait till I get to Leicester to get one?, so I know who is going to which events.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WMichael
How long do the fresher's wristbands go on sale for? Is it possible to wait till I get to Leicester to get one?, so I know who is going to which events.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They go on sale until they're sold out. You'll easily be able to buy one when you get to Leicester.
For current students who were in Leicester last year:

Is Let's Disko just the same as Red Leicester or has it changed? Just wondering on the changes for my old work place. :moon:
I'm I the only one who can't apply for accommodation at the uni, I can't register though firming the Uni in November.

EDIT: I do have my student ID stuff
Original post by GiordySays
I'm I the only one who can't apply for accommodation at the uni, I can't register though firming the Uni in November.

EDIT: I do have my student ID stuff

Contact the university's accomodation office.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Contact the university's accomodation office.

Done that and emailed the IT department as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending