Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hayley! nice to see you in this thread
    reckon I could get in on the free drink action too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~NC~)
    I popped in to it with some friends but saw all the people and ran away! I assumed it was a Beaumont event and from GMS wouldn't be welcome.... Didnt know it was an open bar at the time :p: Doubt i would've got a free drink though seeming as the bar staff know me by name as i work there! They know i don't live there!!
    You do geography I see? I've applied for the same course. Whats it like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barton1)
    You do geography I see? I've applied for the same course. Whats it like?
    Its absolutely awesome! I love every minute of it!! The fieldtrips are awesome, everyone has such a nice time and you get to know loads more people. The Lecturers are lovely, and there all great at what they do. The department is really well equipped and has tonnes of facilities and even the coursework isnt so bad! Make the most of your first year though cos the work load significantly increases in the second year! But its still fine and the work is far more interesting ive found in the second year! You got any specific questions because i could sit here and talk about geography at Leicester for ever!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here live in Lasdun J? There's a bike in your cleaning cupboard!

been doing some pretty odd jobs at work this week. Been in every single room in Lasdun and cleaned every single light switch, and mopped all the stairs clean too. Also used brooms to wipe the cobwebs off the outside of Kent, Stamford and Rosenfels houses. You GMS folk better appreciate it when you get back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)

been doing some pretty odd jobs at work this week. Been in every single room in Lasdun and cleaned every single light switch, and mopped all the stairs clean too. Also used brooms to wipe the cobwebs off the outside of Kent, Stamford and Rosenfels houses. You GMS folk better appreciate it when you get back!
    I saw you lot cleaning the cobwebs of kent house and wondered what on earth was going on!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)

I used to be Lasdun J block in my first year! Good times.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a dilema about where to live next year. I applied for halls (still not heard back from them) but i've been offered a small room in a house on Evington road. Humm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by museobsessed)
    I applied for halls (still not heard back from them)
    whoa, it's a bit late to have not heard back, isn't it?
    where did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Nixon

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a dilema about where to live next year. I applied for halls (still not heard back from them) but i've been offered a small room in a house on Evington road. Humm
    Well, I think I've just gotten a wee bit lucky as my ex-flatmates from last year have decided they will do a post-grad and they's like to live with me again, which is good news; because I hadn't applied for accomodation in any case!! You should get the Erasmus team to try and forward an e-mail or something. God knows it would give the Erasmus department something to actually do!

ReputationRep:
    haha! love the last line
    yeh i'm gunna get on the backs of the accomadation office. I wanna know if they have a space or not. I don't wanna live on Evington road again
    you got lucky though

ReputationRep:
    haha! love the last line
    yeh i'm gunna get on the backs of the accomadation office. I wanna know if they have a space or not. I don't wanna live on Evington road again
    you got lucky though
    Yeah, I might be a bit cheesed off with them. They haven't helped me that much at all. When Athens was burning they sent me an e-mail saying: "Are you alright?"

Yeah, gotta find a house now though 'cos I know the other 2 are lazy feckers. Lived at 1 Uni road last time, but the Landlords were unscrupulous ba stards so we'll go elsewhere, but I want to be near the Uni again like last time.

Did you get the choosing your 3rd year option thing today? I'm very confused as I can't remember what to do from last time? What do I choose and how do I apply? Argh! I sent an e-mail to Sue Beesley and I feel like a right mug.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I got a "are you OK" after the earthquake, admittedly that was very far from me though, unlike the riots for you.
    I havn't checked my e-mail yet. Surely it tells you? I remember it being complicated though

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth going halls if you live in leicester? As im torn between going halls or not. As I dont want to waste money on something that isn't exactly nessercary. My biggest concern is I dont think ill meet as much people if I live at home and i dont wanna be one of those people that goes to uni, does lectures and goes home...repeat.

ReputationRep:
    Its more difficult (not impossible) to make friends if you're not in halls. I know that if I had stayed at home for uni I wouldn't have gone out much, it would have been like a levels. Meh to that. Leaving home was probably the best part about uni

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth going halls if you live in leicester? As im torn between going halls or not. As I dont want to waste money on something that isn't exactly nessercary. My biggest concern is I dont think ill meet as much people if I live at home and i dont wanna be one of those people that goes to uni, does lectures and goes home...repeat.
    Definitely. One of my good friends has lived in Leicester all his life, not too far away, and he's had a great time living in halls. The first year is vital to growing as a student, and you really need to immerse yourself - you could consider living at home in your second/third year if it made it less stressful, but only after you've made all your friends and accustomed yourself to the student life.

How far away from the university is home anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    Definitely. One of my good friends has lived in Leicester all his life, not too far away, and he's had a great time living in halls. The first year is vital to growing as a student, and you really need to immerse yourself - you could consider living at home in your second/third year if it made it less stressful, but only after you've made all your friends and accustomed yourself to the student life.

How far away from the university is home anyway?
    lol about 20 minutes away

ReputationRep:
    If I lived in Leicester I wouldnt have bothered with halls to be honest. I know loads of people who commute everyday both from Leicester and outside the city and they all have alot of friends.

Its really, really not difficult to meet people when you first start uni. As long as you get in there and get talking to people when term first starts you will be fine, as at first everyone just talks to everyone and anyone- on the bus, on campus, in a queue if they recognise you from a lecture or something. No one knows anyone, so everyones happy to talk and make friends wherever they can. Its only if you leave it a while that it could become difficult as friendships form really quickly and in a month of so people already have their own little groups.

Getting involved in societies and/or sports is also a good way to make friends, some have frequent socials, meetings and so on so you'll never be stuck for something to do and people to go out with.

Halls has its advantages to living at home- it can be alot of fun, and it certainly has its moments but I dont personally think its £4,000 worth. Having done the halls thing myself, yeah it was good and I met alot of people in my first year but to be honest, as is the case for alot of people most of the people I knew in halls in my first year arent really anything more than lose aquaintancies as I end my second year, so being in halls wasnt all the benefitial in terms of forming long lasting frienships. Most of the friendships I formed in first year which have contintued into second year and hopefully third were formed outside halls anyway.

You could always go for halls for your first year, and do the whole freshers thing and then stay at home for second and third year?

ReputationRep:
    you've got time to kill... its dead an buried. I've got guts to spill, you're so untrustworthy

sorry, its the influence of your username :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    If I lived in Leicester I wouldnt have bothered with halls to be honest. I know loads of people who commute everyday both from Leicester and outside the city and they all have alot of friends.

Its really, really not difficult to meet people when you first start uni. As long as you get in there and get talking to people when term first starts you will be fine, as at first everyone just talks to everyone and anyone- on the bus, on campus, in a queue if they recognise you from a lecture or something. No one knows anyone, so everyones happy to talk and make friends wherever they can. Its only if you leave it a while that it could become difficult as friendships form really quickly and in a month of so people already have their own little groups.

Getting involved in societies and/or sports is also a good way to make friends, some have frequent socials, meetings and so on so you'll never be stuck for something to do and people to go out with.

Halls has its advantages to living at home- it can be alot of fun, and it certainly has its moments but I dont personally think its £4,000 worth. Having done the halls thing myself, yeah it was good and I met alot of people in my first year but to be honest, as is the case for alot of people most of the people I knew in halls in my first year arent really anything more than lose aquaintancies as I end my second year, so being in halls wasnt all the benefitial in terms of forming long lasting frienships. Most of the friendships I formed in first year which have contintued into second year and hopefully third were formed outside halls anyway.

You could always go for halls for your first year, and do the whole freshers thing and then stay at home for second and third year?
    OK thanks that was the response I was really hoping for and i'd like to think im pretty damn sociable. I was just worried that i'd end up go uni, doing lecturs and then going home. I'll be sure to get stuck in with the societies

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2017

University open days

• University of Leicester
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.