Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am at the stage now where I am chosing what A level options to consider putting down on my 6th application. I was wondering whether A level Law is worthwile, for example, what topics do you learn about and are you, or have you, enjoyed it as a course overall.

Thanks, please give me your feedback

ReputationRep:
    Well?

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Im in year 11 too, and while I was picking my a level options, I found out that Law isnt regarded by unis as "effective preperation" or somthing.... here,

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ex.html#course
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...st-460720.html

of course this doesnt mean you shouldnt take law, I just thought you should see this if you havnt already.
    I don't think unis mind if you only take one of them. All depends.

Good luck!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well I think I won't take law then after having read those sites. So I might just continue the options I took for GCSE at A level. What about you?

The specifics would depend on the exam board, but normally you'll do fundamentals of the legal system (basically, peoples' jobs, i.e. barristers, solicitors, judges, and the court system and hierarchy), the sources of the law (Parliament, the EU, common law etc.), and specifics of criminal and civil law. It's a very interesting course, but usually people recommend against it if you actually want to go into law at an undergraduate level as admissions tutors don't seem to like it.

Edit - Worth noting it goes very, very well with Government & Politics. There's a huge amount of stuff you can take from one and use in the other which is bound to be useful for getting additional marks in exams.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities may be picky about this, but speaking from personal experience (I'm in second year of doing a law degree) it really doesn't matter.

If you don't do law though, they expect English Language, English Literature or History. Something which involves reading and essays really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie Maywood)
    Ok, well I think I won't take law then after having read those sites. So I might just continue the options I took for GCSE at A level. What about you?
    I study Law at A Level and I love it. Its so vast and theres so much to learn. You study a huge amount of famous cases and its really interesting. It is quite hard though - many on TSR rip it apart, but the vast majority of them haven't even studied it, so I don't really see how they can hold a valid opinion. You do a LOT of essays and a LOT of reading and your memory has to be fairly top-notch due to the amount you have to write in an exam.

In AS you study Law Reform, Statutory Interpretation, Judicial Precedent, Sentencing and Punishment, Delegated Legislation, Police Powers and the EU.

The A2 year is devoted entirely to Criminal Law, the real gritty stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Im taking economics maths english lit
    and either chem or philosophy

my school is not helping me with my decisions
    I hope your school is better at it!
    What are you thinking of taking?

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    depends which exam board you're with
    i'm with OCR and at AS it was pretty boring, i didnt really like it. its all about sources of law and the english legal system...

but in the second year you get to choose either Tort law or Criminal law, i'm doing tort and i LOVE it!!

ReputationRep:
    I did it at A level (AQA) and really enjoyed it. It's interesting and challenging. I've gone on to do it at uni and when applying I got offers frm all my choices, so I'd say of thats mainly whats putting you off still go for it so long as you have some more traditional subjects alongside it.

ReputationRep:
    Some would say it isnt. I think it depends on what career you want to enrol in and what universites you want to go to. I think you should look at that. Some universities prefer you not to have Law as an A-level subject.
    I do AQA and i find it really interesting. All about personal choice really.

What other subjects do you want to do? Do you know what you want to do at university?

ReputationRep:
    OCR sounds pretty god damn easy!

AQA we do introduction to the concepts of law, tort and criminal in AS, and then contract law, criminal law and law and morals in A2.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am at the stage now where I am chosing what A level options to consider putting down on my 6th application. I was wondering whether A level Law is worthwile, for example, what topics do you learn about and are you, or have you, enjoyed it as a course overall.

Thanks, please give me your feedback
    A (very) few uni's don't count it amongst the best A levels, however most have no opinion onew way or the other, and it is acounted as well as other 'traditional' A levles. I'm not sure why the second poster linked to the Cam website, as they say nothing about not liking it. Indeed, I onlky know of Trinity College that frown on it.

I took Law at A level, and it did me no harm at all when applying for university, indeed it confirmed my desiore to study law. So OP, if you want to do it, then do it. It was for me a thourghly enjoyable course.

I would only say, if you want to apply to 'top' unis, combine it with the 'traditional' subjects - maths/English/Sciences etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon12345)
    OCR sounds pretty god damn easy!

AQA we do introduction to the concepts of law, tort and criminal in AS, and then contract law, criminal law and law and morals in A2.
    We did theft at a level. It was gash.

ReputationRep:
    dont do it , universitys have very little respect for it, do history or another humainty instead or do chemistry as that represnts a sound mind with good knowlage.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't any first hand experience, but people doing Law at my school [sorry don't know the exam board] have said its really boring and always seem to be complaining of the number of essays they have to write, more than History.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.