The Student Room Group

My EPQ question

I am just starting my EPQ and I am struggling with my question, I am pretty set on 'To what extent has Great Britain lost its status as a global superpower' but I am a bit worried this question is a bit too broad as it covers many topics, which I am happy to research and write about, but I'm just not sure if this may be too wide. Any tips would be appreciated!
'To what extent has Great Britain lost its status as a global superpower'. The key is to identify and focus on the central debate - the central argument - the different "sides" to the debate, which you will critically evaluate. Are you studying history or politics?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cheadle
'To what extent has Great Britain lost its status as a global superpower'. The key is to identify and focus on the central debate - the central argument - the different "sides" to the debate, which you will critically evaluate. Are you studying history or politics?

I am studying both history and Politics. The ideas I was considering writing about are:
The fall of the British Empire, loss of WW2 and for the other side I would talk about soft power and nuclear weapons
If you have nay further advice that would be great, do you think I need to change my question into order to focus on the central debate?
It's good that you are studying both history and politics - that will allow for some crossover between the two subject areas.

In terms of the debate, are there particular academic/writers who have contributed to the debate about Britain's lost status? That's where to look for the "sides" of the debate. What are the nuances of the debate - does everyone broadly agree that Britain has lost its power but disagree on the extent of the loss, or on the areas where the loss is most apparent. It might help to form your own opinion up front - what do you think the answer to your question is going to be?
It will also help a lot to demarcate the time period you are going to look at. From what you've said, it looks quite 20th century based.
You could keep your existing question - 'To what extent has Great Britain lost its status as a global superpower' - but add a second part which specifies the time frame and main themes?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest