The Student Room Group

What is so bad about shaving? WHY does my mum only allows me to use WAX!

Basically my mum wouldn't let me shave because it brings 'nasty ugly hairs' and 'spots'.
However, the paradox of this is, when I wax, I get the 'nasty ugly hairs' and 'spots'; it hurts and it ******* pisses me of. I have just looked in the mirror and both sides are covered with around 60 mumps of soon-to-be pimples. :cry:
Can any of you guys tell me; do you really get, or have ever experienced, anything as profound as my mum has described; if you have, what was it like. If you haven't, are there any real disadvantages; and what are the advantages.

Please help. Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what are you waxing????
lodzinski
what are you waxing????

Facial hair.
I'm 15 by the way, if that helps. :s-smilie:
Reply 3
How does your mum prevent you from shaving? :s-smilie:
his face by the sounds of it.. lol
Reply 5
shaving causes ingrowing hairs if you dont do it right,
are you waxing your whole face??
Reply 6
Just get a beard trimmer with a 'stubble' setting and keep it like that. Sorted.
yusufu
How does your mum prevent you from shaving? :s-smilie:

She says it will make me 'ugly'. Because my face 'doesn't suit it'. :rolleyes:
Reply 8
And that stops you?

Just shave, but make sure you shave properly. Who the hell waxes their face.
Mango24
shaving causes ingrowing hairs if you dont do it right,
are you waxing your whole face??

Yes, whole face.
I sometimes get weird hairs growing on my neck, the part that is protruding... I wax that too.
Reply 10
Just shave anyway.
Reply 11
If your old enough to have facial hair, you shouldn't be taking advice from your mum on stuff like this..
Reply 12
Lol, if my mum ever told me wax my face i'd tell her to piss off.

If she is worried about the whole 'safety' factor of using a razor, which I can only imagine is why she doesnt want you using one, then you can get the electric shavers/beard trimmers.

Just make sure you use shaving/foam and you'll be fine, never have I experienced spots as a result of shaving =/
*Dr Evil voice* "Who waxes their face, honestly?"
becky.fm
If your old enough to have facial hair, you shouldn't be taking advice from your advice on stuff like this..

Lol yeah, never take advie from your advice!
Reply 15
Ramadulla
Yes, whole face.
I sometimes get weird hairs growing on my neck, the part that is protruding... I wax that too.

Hmmm. most people shave only the jaw/chin/mouth area...

shaving is a heck of a lot easier and doesn't cause pain. in future, for man stuff, take advice from men, not women.
Reply 16
Ramadulla
She says it will make me 'ugly'. Because my face 'doesn't suit it'. :rolleyes:

Hmm, thats stupid lol.

Your face doesn't suit shaving? :confused:

Surely its better than having a lovely red rash for a few hours, and I'd bet its a heck of a lot less painful :p:

Just go and get a razor and shave anyway :smile:
Reply 17
I can't believe I have to write a tutorial on how to shave properly.

1. Get yourself a decent razer, none of those throw aways.
2. Put a face towel under hot water.
3. Put the towel on your face for about 30 seconds.
4. Wash your face with whatever anti-spot stuff you want to use.
5. Wash your face with hot water.
6. Apply shaving cream/foam going in small circles.
7. Shave downwards, cleaning the blades with water every two or three goes. This is important. You must follow the way the hair grows or you will get ingrowing hair. I don't care if your mates tell you it makes for a deeper shave, they'll be the ones with red bumps all over their face.
8. Wash with warm water.
9. Close the purs with cold water.
10. Pat dry and apply moisturiser.

At 15 you probably won't be shaving every day and waxing every day when you get a bit older will be a pain the arse. I've never ever heard of anyone waxing their face lol.

yusufu
Hmmm. most people shave only the jaw/chin/mouth area...

shaving is a heck of a lot easier and doesn't cause pain. in future, for man stuff, take advice from men, not women.

So what do you do with all the neck hair? Everyone shaves their neck.
**** that! get a really good shaving system - King of Shaves is awesome - get their face wash, shave gel (sensitive skin) , the AZOR razor, and the 24/8 SPF 8 moisturiser - the website has tips on how to shave well, and trust me, if you do it right, you will be far better than waxing.
Reply 19
Kemik
So what do you do with all the neck hair? Everyone shaves their neck.

I believe that falls under "the jaw area" category.

Latest