Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so the basics of it is, I have a bank account with HSBC. Well, I have 3, but apart from the 2 savings accounts, it's just a standard Current Account. The card I have for it is a Solo card, which requires every transaction to be approved by the bank. That's not much of an issue for me, but it is for some companies, and as such, they don't accept the card (mainly train companies annoying me at the moment).

Any idea if there's any reason why the bank wouldn't give me a Visa card upon request, as I know older customers with them, and I've only gone into my overdraft once about 2 years ago, which I came out of in about 40 minutes after a Direct Debit went through lol.

Alternatively, does anyone know which other banks give anything but a Solo card to 17 year-olds?

Cheers for any help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Ok, so the basics of it is, I have a bank account with HSBC. Well, I have 3, but apart from the 2 savings accounts, it's just a standard Current Account. The card I have for it is a Solo card, which requires every transaction to be approved by the bank. That's not much of an issue for me, but it is for some companies, and as such, they don't accept the card (mainly train companies annoying me at the moment).

Any idea if there's any reason why the bank wouldn't give me a Visa card upon request, as I know older customers with them, and I've only gone into my overdraft once about 2 years ago, which I came out of in about 40 minutes after a Direct Debit went through lol.

Alternatively, does anyone know which other banks give anything but a Solo card to 17 year-olds?

Cheers for any help!!
    Isn't solo the same as maestro? I've used my card on a few train services with no probs.
    I do know they are going to switch over to Visa around Jan/Feb of next year though so not long to go

ReputationRep:
    Solo is under the same company as Maestro. Solo and Switch moved over a while back. Unfortunately, it's not the same. The train web-sites (which are all the same since they all pretty much run the same scripts and run off the same database) accept Maestro, but not Solo. I've had to pay via my GF's bank card once, as hers is a Visa, and via my Mum's account a couple of times, as hers is Maestro.

It's actually really annoying when you have limited time to sort tickets and everything else out :/

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I have a HSBC Amanah account and it's Solo/Maestro but I'm sure the rest should be as well... How long have you had the card?

ReputationRep:
    I have a solo and i'm 18, if i'm paying for something and it doesn't list solo, I tend to just choose Maestro instead and i've had no problems.

The only place that I've found doesn't accept Solo is Acessorize, and I tend to use my card most places as I hate using cash.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a solo card with HSBC for years and never had a single problem with it. Nowadays, I find very few shops that won't accept them. Also, I am confused when you say every transaction has to be approved by the bank. Do you mean that when you pay with it you have to do more than inserting your card and entering your pin? If so, it sounds like something personal to you because I have never had to do that.

As for getting a visa, I take it you mean a visa debit, and I think it is unlikely that HSBC will provide you with one as solo cards are the ones they currently associate with your type of account and they might not even use visa debit at all. I know my mum's debit with HSBC is a Maestro which implies that their debit cards are all maestro/solo.

I don't know about other banks. I think solo have always been associated with under 18s and I don't know of any of my friends that have anything other than that - most only have a cash card and aren't even given a debit.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where you heard about other customers having VISA OP because this just isn't true. Banks can choose either Maestro or VISA, there would be no point having both as it would just confuse matters.

However saying that, HSBC are moving from Maestro -> Visa from December 08 to 2010.

If you log into Internet Banking there is a link to the side of your balance saying 'Register New Card' in preparation.

ReputationRep:
    The only place I remember not being able to use it is when booking train tickets, but I'm sure I've came across a couple of small shops elsewhere.

I do apologise, "Visa or something similar", I would be asking the bank for; anything but a Solo card so I don't have to use other people's cards for every other open day, visit day, summer school or mid-distance trip I go on.

The person I know with a Visa isn't a HSBC customer. I was using Visa as an example of any other card I'd rather have.

By "every transaction has to be approved by the bank", I don't mean you have to do anything other than put your card in and enter your PIN. Instead of trying to explain it, second paragraph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_(debit_card) (love how quickly Google found me that).

I just wish the cards were accepted as widely as Visa.

And in fact:

Most UK Train Operating Companies do not accept Solo, for example Virgin Trains [1] and National Express East Anglia [2]. Some TOCs have recently started to accept Solo, including National Express East Coast [3], although in some cases this may be only online and not at ticket offices and vice-versa (Solo is never accepted for purchasing tickets on trains, see Avantix Mobile).
    My main problem lol... it's just a shame I don't book tickets through National Express East Coast, because I never use their service :s

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I had the same card as you when I was seventeen. And missed a train because of it >.<
    All I can say is Barclay's do a weird Electron card thing for their young adult accounts.
    Also, as soon as you turn 18, ask them to give you an adult card, problem solved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    The only place I remember not being able to use it is when booking train tickets, but I'm sure I've came across a couple of small shops elsewhere.

I do apologise, "Visa or something similar", I would be asking the bank for; anything but a Solo card so I don't have to use other people's cards for every other open day, visit day, summer school or mid-distance trip I go on.

The person I know with a Visa isn't a HSBC customer. I was using Visa as an example of any other card I'd rather have.

By "every transaction has to be approved by the bank", I don't mean you have to do anything other than put your card in and enter your PIN. Instead of trying to explain it, second paragraph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_(debit_card) (love how quickly Google found me that).

I just wish the cards were accepted as widely as Visa.

And in fact:

My main problem lol... it's just a shame I don't book tickets through National Express East Coast, because I never use their service :s
    Indeed but over the next year HSBC are changing to Visa anyway so it doesn't really matter, just use cash for now lol.

ReputationRep:
    I had a maestro card at 17 with hsbc.. no idea why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumTheory)
    Hey, I had the same card as you when I was seventeen. And missed a train because of it >.<
    All I can say is Barclay's do a weird Electron card thing for their young adult accounts.
    Also, as soon as you turn 18, ask them to give you an adult card, problem solved
    Yeah, my girlfriend's with Barclay's and has a Visa Electron card.

(Original post by Orthala)
    Indeed but over the next year HSBC are changing to Visa anyway so it doesn't really matter, just use cash for now lol.
    Yeah, I just wish they'd change quicker I would use cash but I like to book train tickets in advance and either collect them at the station or have them sent on free delivery. That way, I know the train won't be over-booked (although it hardly ever happens), and I know I won't have a long queue to stand in at the station to buy them.

Mehhh... I might change to Barclay's until I head off to uni lol... I don't keep enough money in there to care about the interest rate and I don't see either of the banks going under any time soon, especially with it being pretty much as British as a bank gets

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same problem, But saw that Abbey are doing an account for X to 17 year olds (will last you till you are 18) with 8% interest, you will have to put in £50 a month, and the 8% is only on balance up until £500.. I recieved my card the other day, it's a visa =]

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.