The Student Room Group

Should I change Imperial to Bath?

I submitted my uni application last week for chemistry to Oxford, Bristol, Nottingham, Edinburgh and Imperial. I would be super happy at any of the first 4 and wasn't sure what to put down as a 5th so I applied to Imperial. It's obviously well-regarded and it has been suggested to me that the interview can be good practice for Oxford interviews (I know the interviews are quite different in terms of content, but I just mean more generally in terms of making you more comfortable in an interview-situation if you have done it before).

I know I definitely don't want to go to Imperial as I don't want to live in London but the other 4 unis I put down are the only ones I would really be happy at so my 5th choice feels a bit pointless in any case. However, I'm starting to feel like the interview at Imperial will just be another source of stress since the preparation will possibly take away from time I could otherwise spend on Oxford interview prep (which will inevitably be different due to the different nature of the interviews). I think deep down a part of the reason I applied to Imperial is because it's a really good university so getting in there would numb the pain of an Oxford rejection a little bit, but I'm aware how silly this is.

So... should I substitue for a different university (Bath I'm thinking, although again I don't want to go to Bath and would pick one of my other 4 any day of the week) or just stick with Imperial?
If you don’t want to go to imperial and you don’t want to go to Bath then why put either of them?
Original post by Trinculo
If you don’t want to go to imperial and you don’t want to go to Bath then why put either of them?

Hahaha good question - just seems silly not to use all 5 choices? That's what teachers have said too
Original post by apolaroidofus
Hahaha good question - just seems silly not to use all 5 choices? That's what teachers have said too

Your teachers are donkeys. You should have used 4 choices and waited to see if you got any responses before the Jan 25th deadline. Then you'd know if you needed a risky or safe choice to add as your last option.

Why not remove Imperial and add another one later when you'd heard back from some of the others?
Original post by Muttley79
Why not remove Imperial and add another one later when you'd heard back from some of the others?

Isn't it too late to do this? I know I can substitute a choice and withdraw but if I withdraw I can't go back later and add a different choice can I?
Original post by Admit-One
Your teachers are donkeys. You should have used 4 choices and waited to see if you got any responses before the Jan 25th deadline. Then you'd know if you needed a risky or safe choice to add as your last option.

I'm predicted 4A*s so I'm hoping that I should at least get an offer from Nottingham - I've heard they tend to be fairly quick in replying
I interviewed at both Oxford and Imperial for chemistry and found the style quite different. Imperial asked me fairly basic questions that were largely definition based, I remember being asked what hybridisation was among other things. Whereas Oxford was very much ''work it out yourself'' kind of thing. I'm similar to you though, I didn't get a good vibe from Imperial and even though they offered me a place I declined them. Tbh if it's your 5th choice it doesn't matter too much because ultimately you'll have to whittle it down to 2, assuming you get more than 2 offers.
(edited 1 year ago)
And if you're predicted 4 A*s you'll almost certainly get an offer from Nottingham and Bristol at least. I got a Bristol offer without even doing an interview there.
Leave your 5th choice blank and add it later.
If you add it before 25 January, no problem.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I interviewed at both Oxford and Imperial for chemistry and found the style quite different. Imperial asked me fairly basic questions that were largely definition based, I remember being asked what hybridisation was among other things. Whereas Oxford was very much ''work it out yourself'' kind of thing. I'm similar to you though, I didn't get a good vibe from Imperial and even though they offered me a place I declined them. Tbh if it's your 5th choice it doesn't matter too much because ultimately you'll have to whittle it down to 2, assuming you get more than 2 offers.

This is so helpful thank you. Did you do anything to prep for Imperial that wasn't also applicable to Oxford?
Original post by McGinger

I've already applied and don't think I can withdraw now and add another one later. My options on UCAS are

Substitute this choice
If you made a mistake with this choice, you can still substitute it (for a limited period only).

Permanently withdraw from this choice
Once withdrawn, you won't be able to change it for another choice
This is so helpful thank you. Did you do anything to prep for Imperial that wasn't also applicable to Oxford?

I made sure I knew my chemistry back to front for both but if anything I wasted a lot of time revising silly stuff for Oxford because my school gave us books that scared us and said that Oxford loves to ask bizarre, stupid questions. So things like “tell me how many atoms are in a banana once it’s been thrown, squashed and stepped on” or “talk to me about the crystal structure of the Empire State’s constituent materials” and similar rubbish. But the interviews were none of that, it was normal albeit challenging chemistry and maths questions, not these outlandish scenarios.
Original post by Admit-One

I have a question: I only put down 4 choices in ucas and send off before the January deadline, if one of my 4 choices reject me before January, can I still add one choice as my 5th choice?
Original post by McGinger

I have a question: I only put down 4 choices in ucas and send off before the January deadline, if one of my 4 choices reject me before January, can I still add one choice as my 5th choice on ucas?
Original post by Belleeeparty
I have a question: I only put down 4 choices in ucas and send off before the January deadline, if one of my 4 choices reject me before January, can I still add one choice as my 5th choice on ucas?

You can still add a 5th choice if you receive a rejection
Original post by Belleeeparty
I have a question: I only put down 4 choices in ucas and send off before the January deadline, if one of my 4 choices reject me before January, can I still add one choice as my 5th choice?

Yes, even if you’ve received one or more decisions you can still use your remaining choice.

Getting a rejection doesn’t free up that choice though.

Quick Reply

Latest