The Student Room Group

would you rather be in a classroom with all average people or clever people?

I'm in this current situation now, with my alevel subjects.
I used to feel so clever during GCSEs at my old school. however, now during alevels at a new school, everyone seems extremely intelligent and I feel like I'm overworking myself so much just so that I can try and be in level with them.
Id rather be in a room with highly motivated & ambitious people
Average people.
Original post by harlz_chalamet
I'm in this current situation now, with my alevel subjects.
I used to feel so clever during GCSEs at my old school. however, now during alevels at a new school, everyone seems extremely intelligent and I feel like I'm overworking myself so much just so that I can try and be in level with them.

That's an easy one. I would rather be in a class full of average people because if I know that I am better than average people then I know for sure that I am above average which is good whereas if I am in a room full of intelligent people then there's no telling how dumb I am. I was thinking exactly the same way as you when I finished my GCSEs and did my A-Levels. In my GCSEs I did better than most of these scrubs and then when I did my A-Levels I still did well in comparison to others but I wasn't better by a large margin compared to my peers at GCSE. You may feel that you're average in your A-Levels but the best thing you can do is focus on yourself and your grades and not other people's grades. You need certain grades to get to uni, so focus on that. It doesn't matter what anyone else gets.

When you go to uni, it is going to be even worse because you will feel that most people at uni are better than you. I went from feeling the best at GCSE, to feeling above average at A-Level and then below average at university. But once again, the best thing you can do is focus on your own grades. As long as you get that 2.1 or meet your uni offer, that's all that's gonna matter in the end.
(edited 1 year ago)
Clever, I want to be challenged and abandon any fluffy ideas of being a big fish in a series of growing ponds.
I’d rather be in a room with a good teacher. Don’t give a toss what anyone else rates their own academic ability as.
Original post by ROTL94 3
I’d rather be in a room with a good teacher.

No one is offering that option, Smart or Torpid students, that's yer choice :tongue:
Reply 7
Knowing that other students can and do perform better rather than being lulled into a sense of false security is definitely the best option.
Intelligent.
If, by definition, everyone in the class is intelligent and I'm in the class, then logic dictates that I must be intelligent too.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rufus The Red
Intelligent.
If everyone in the class is intelligent and I'm in the class, then I must be intelligent too.

I think it's a really hard choice.
it's like, would you rather be in a class with all intelligent people, who will perhaps motivate you to study more, but you will feel almost 'average' in that class.
or, be in an average class where you feel that you are intelligent.
Original post by mnot
Id rather be in a room with highly motivated & ambitious people

I really need to start thinking like this

Quick Reply

Latest