The Student Room Group

HIV Cure?

Link: http://www.google.com/search?q=berlin+hiv+cure&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBR_en-GB

Some discussion:

<@beward> they did cure a AIDS patient in berlin
<@beward> evil germans
<@Rom> fluffy germans
<@Rom> and it vas hiv they cured, not aids
<@beward> k
<@beward> o/
<@beward> still pretty strange. and sad for all ppl who have new hope now. as this was a pretty special case i guess...
<@Rom> yeah and not easy
<@beward> wasn´t samba our official channel doctor?
<@samba> lol
<@samba> link? ;o
<@samba> htf do u cure hiv :/
<@beward> special case i tell you
<@beward> also.
<@Rom> bonemarrow transplant
<@beward> use google
<@Rom> from a specific donor
<@beward> who is imune to hiv
<@Rom> which had some gene to do something :tongue:
<@Rom> yea
<@samba> Doctors also said that such a transplant was too gruelling and expensive to be adopted as a treatment for HIV.
<@samba> LOL
<@samba> *****
Reply 1
That immune guy is probably tested on loads in an attempt for an alternate cure, I wonder how many people are immune...*
Reply 2
Professor Andrew McMichael, an immunologist at the University of Oxford, said the HIV virus was adept at hiding in the body and much depended on how hard the researchers had looked for it. "Even for someone treated with exhaustive therapy there may be a few cells left," he said.

Guess we won't know for sure for a while yet.
Reply 3
<@beward> so, basicly this may works in western europe \o/
<@Rom> The donor mutation, found in approximately 1 percent of Europeans, creates immune system cells that lack a receptor molecule called CCR5.
<@Rom> where did samba find the 3%?
<@beward> i said 3%
<samba> http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/caution-over-transplant-hiv-cure-1017942.html
<@beward> as i did read 3%
<@Rom> ah
<samba> well, 1% if worldwide is still 60 million peoples
<@Rom> heh
<@Rom> some say 3%, some say 1%, one says 1 in 1000

I guess it depends on that CCR5 thing, and whether it can be cloned!
Reply 4
you have to think about the nature of science. Nothing can be proven without an experiment. the idea of smoking being bad or you has no real evidence. they haven't got a group of people and told them to smoke or not for a set period of years. why because it would be inhuman. Likewise with aids, some people believe circumcision can protect against aids, but without an actual experiment wont know. killing 100 people to cure aids is probably worth it considering how much it will continue to kill.
Reply 5
HAHAHA. I get that :rofl:

South Park FTW

Latest

Trending

Trending