The Student Room Group

finding AS Chemistry very hard to the point of my college stepping in

i never wanted to do chemistry a level, but i need it to do dentistry in the future - fine i’ll just work hard for 2 years to get an A is easier said than done. It’s not that i don’t try i just don’t get the concepts, after barely scraping a 7 in maths my skills are less than adequate and to top it off I have a poor memory so revision is * not working. I’m doing amount of substance in class and i don’t understand anything, it’s so hard and everyone else finds it so easy i’m constantly behind in class. i don’t want to let go of my dream in pursuing dentistry but i’m the dumbest person in my class and i don’t know if i’ll ever be able to get a C in chem let alone an A. please help idk what i’m doing with my life right now i don’t want to do chem i hate it so much
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by xtras
i never wanted to do chemistry a level, but i need it to do dentistry in the future - fine i’ll just work hard for 2 years to get an A is easier said than done. It’s not that i don’t try i just don’t get the concepts, after barely scraping a 7 in maths my skills are less than adequate and to top it off I have a poor memory so revision is * not working. I’m doing amount of substance in class and i don’t understand anything, it’s so hard and everyone else finds it so easy i’m constantly behind in class. i don’t want to let go of my dream in pursuing dentistry but i’m the dumbest person in my class and i don’t know if i’ll ever be able to get a C in chem let alone an A. please help idk what i’m doing with my life right now i don’t want to do chem i hate it so much

I used to be awful at maths in chem. I always used to get so confused when many different equations for moles were involved even tho my maths skills were not too shabby. I remember at GCSE I got one of the lowest scores in a chem maths test and I literally cried rip. I found for me, I really benefited from asking for extra questions and starting from the basics. For a level chem you constantly build upon topics you have learnt so having a good understanding of the early concepts is crucial. I would recommend going back to basics, either through asking your teacher or going on to YouTube and watching someone do example questions, then attempt some yourself on e.g. physics and maths tutor. Ik it’s a cliche but practise rlly does make ‘perfect’ when it comes to maths in chem. Doing the maths questions without any resources once you get more confident will deffo help, as your brain will start to recognise patterns and apply the equations you have learnt to different scenarios. I hope this helped a bit… but honestly once you master this your life will be much easier and you may enjoy chem! I ended up with an A* in the end, nothing is impossible:smile:
Original post by xtras

Calculations for A-Level Chemistry

Calculations for A-Level Chemistry by Jim Clark and YouTube videos are excellent.
Reply 3
Original post by rach8245
I used to be awful at maths in chem. I always used to get so confused when many different equations for moles were involved even tho my maths skills were not too shabby. I remember at GCSE I got one of the lowest scores in a chem maths test and I literally cried rip. I found for me, I really benefited from asking for extra questions and starting from the basics. For a level chem you constantly build upon topics you have learnt so having a good understanding of the early concepts is crucial. I would recommend going back to basics, either through asking your teacher or going on to YouTube and watching someone do example questions, then attempt some yourself on e.g. physics and maths tutor. Ik it’s a cliche but practise rlly does make ‘perfect’ when it comes to maths in chem. Doing the maths questions without any resources once you get more confident will deffo help, as your brain will start to recognise patterns and apply the equations you have learnt to different scenarios. I hope this helped a bit… but honestly once you master this your life will be much easier and you may enjoy chem! I ended up with an A* in the end, nothing is impossible:smile:

Thank you so much for taking ur time to reply! This really motivated me and i have an idea of what steps to take next now!!
Reply 4
Original post by thegeek888
Calculations for A-Level Chemistry by Jim Clark and YouTube videos are excellent.

Thank you!! i’ll definitely buy it
Original post by xtras

Heya!

Chemistry is a hard a-level and a lot of people struggle with it so you are not alone :h: I would recommend approaching chemistry from the start/basics and then later building upon them. Approach each topic individually then practice questions on them until you fully understand the topic. Study Mind offers plenty of chem past papers by topic with a mark scheme. After you are confident in one topic, move on to the next topic. Don't rush into the next topic, make sure you fully understand the first one. Make a dedicated revision timetable and make sure to spend enough time going over the topics. Youtube also has plenty of chem videos you can view to help you out with understanding the concepts.

I hope this helps and good luck! Don't give up on chem and pursue your dream as a dentist :h:

Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 6
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!

Chemistry is a hard a-level and a lot of people struggle with it so you are not alone :h: I would recommend approaching chemistry from the start/basics and then later building upon them. Approach each topic individually then practice questions on them until you fully understand the topic. Study Mind offers plenty of chem past papers by topic with a mark scheme. After you are confident in one topic, move on to the next topic. Don't rush into the next topic, make sure you fully understand the first one. Make a dedicated revision timetable and make sure to spend enough time going over the topics. Youtube also has plenty of chem videos you can view to help you out with understanding the concepts.

I hope this helps and good luck! Don't give up on chem and pursue your dream as a dentist :h:

Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you so much!! You have no idea how much this helped and motivated me|!!
Original post by xtras
Thank you so much for taking ur time to reply! This really motivated me and i have an idea of what steps to take next now!!

Np! Good luck and I hope it all works out :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by xtras

Everyone has given you some pretty amazing advice that will almost definitely help you boost your grade. But if you still find yourself struggling, consider getting yourself a private tutor. It's unlikely that the school teachers are gonna tailor their teaching towards you, but a private tutor will help you a lot more.
Original post by thegeek888

I still advise students to get that book: 20 years old and still going strong.
Reply 10
Thank you! I got one soon after i made this post haha, i havent had lessons with them yet but i hope it will help
Original post by a._5
Everyone has given you some pretty amazing advice that will almost definitely help you boost your grade. But if you still find yourself struggling, consider getting yourself a private tutor. It's unlikely that the school teachers are gonna tailor their teaching towards you, but a private tutor will help you a lot more.
Original post by xtras
Thank you! I got one soon after i made this post haha, i havent had lessons with them yet but i hope it will help

hey, how are you finding it now? :smile:
I am also in yr12 like you and I am doing amount of substance with a teacher who is sh*t.
what really helped me was going over questions. really nail down the technique on how to answer those questions. use allery chemistry and the website chemguide which I also find extremely helpful!!!
I hope it all goes well for you, I do know how you feel and it is okay. we are still in our early days and it's not like the real exams are next week. they are in 2 years. but don't let that keep getting to your head (that the exams are in ages). stay on top of your work so it doesn't build up and always ask your teacher when you need help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest