The Student Room Group

gcse maths homework help! <3

hi! i’ve been rlly confused on my maths hwk for the past 3 days if someone could help it would be v appreciated x
so i don’t think i can attach a photo but i’ll explain the triangle and q:
the triangle is this shape: /\
side ab= 2.7cm
side bc= 5.8cm
side ac= x
angle bca= 110*
work out side x using either the sine or cosine rule

here’s where im confused:
(i think) you have to use the cosine lengths rule but usually side x will be opposite the angle which it isn’t for this triangle, instead it’s on the same side as the angle

so im so confused what im supposed to do?
tysm if you help and so sorry i wrote so much 😭
Hmm... before actually applying any formulas, are you sure the question is correct?
If angle C is the obtuse angle of a triangle, then surely the side AB should be the longest (implied by sine rule, but I do encourage you to just draw a bunch of triangles and explore), which doesn't make sense with the given conditions.
(edited 1 year ago)
image.jpgyeah that’s why i’m so confused.. did they word the question wrong or something?
this is a pic of the question btw!
Original post by aalmondmilk
image.jpgyeah that’s why i’m so confused.. did they word the question wrong or something?
this is a pic of the question btw!

Yeah... doesn't look like a sensible question (granted I have never seen that notation for angle). Might as well ask your teacher for clarification.
Original post by tonyiptony
Hmm... before actually applying any formulas, are you sure the question is correct?
If angle C is the obtuse angle of a triangle, then surely the side AB should be the longest (implied by sine rule, but I do encourage you to just draw a bunch of triangles and explore), which doesn't make sense with the given conditions.

agreed the question is wrong, if you use sine rule on the question you get a value <1 for SinA.
Original post by tonyiptony
Yeah... doesn't look like a sensible question (granted I have never seen that notation for angle). Might as well ask your teacher for clarification.

yeah definitely.. half the questions are like this as well. thank you for trying to help though ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest