The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Computing - STEP?

Hi, just wondering if everyone gets STEP offers for imperial computing? How difficult would you say STEP II is and do they still let you in if you miss your grade?
I've never heard of someone not getting a STEP offer for Imperial CS, so just assume you will get a STEP offer too. STEP is very difficult; getting a 2 in STEP (which is what pretty much all Imperial CS offers are) is much harder than something like getting A* in further maths.

Some data on the amount of people missing their STEP offer and still getting in. I know there are more recent FOI requests, you should search them up yourself if you want to be more up to date.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by MouldyVinegar
I've never heard of someone not getting a STEP offer for Imperial CS, so just assume you will get a STEP offer too. STEP is very difficult; getting a 2 in STEP (which is what pretty much all Imperial CS offers are) is much harder than something like getting A* in further maths.

Some data on the amount of people missing their STEP offer and still getting in. I know there are more recent FOI requests, you should search them up yourself if you want to be more up to date.

Thank you! Do you have any advice on how I can assess whether I have the capabilities to take on something like STEP II/III?
Original post by sparkles02
Thank you! Do you have any advice on how I can assess whether I have the capabilities to take on something like STEP II/III?

A bit of a cheap answer, but just do the past papers and you can find out if you can do it. Additionally, it's not necessarily about having "the capabilities"; working hard is the most important thing. I can guarantee that no matter how talented you are, if you don't put in the work you will not get a good grade. STEP is meant to be difficult, and even if you find that initially you can't solve any questions, remember you have literally months until you sit STEP, and you will improve by a massive amount if you put in the work.

Finally, I did not sit STEP myself; I only did revision for it for about a month or two. As such, take what I say about the difficulty of STEP with a very healthy amount of salt, and maybe look at other threads about STEP difficulty.

Quick Reply

Latest