Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Any good French music you can recommend? (for a level revision) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You could try Les Breastfeeders, a French-Canadian band who sing in French. The words are quite hard to hear though, but it'll be good if you want to try and challenge yourself. Arcade Fire's song Haiti is partly in French, and their singer Regine Chassagne is from there. Also, try looking up Star Academy, which a bit like French X Factor/ Pop Idol. The music's pretty rubbish (I bought it in A French hypermarket just because I wanted something French to listen to), but it's quite good if you just want a bit of practise.

ReputationRep:
    Coeur de Pirate is an 18 year old girl from Quebec who does some really nice songs, there's a few on her myspace http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=163154177

ReputationRep:
    Just try some of the French Celine Dion songs if you're into that type of music; otherwise, I'd recommend Roch Voisine (sings in both French and English, usually a mix of both) and Garou.

Also, just for one individual song, take Mickey3D - "Respire"

ReputationRep:
    And Renaud, now that we're on topic. "Manhatten-Kaboul" for example, it's great, especially the duet version with this woman I never remember the name of... Axelle Red!

ReputationRep:
    I agree about Carla Bruni. Some of her songs are really beautiful and quirky, especially 'Le toi du moi'. I've also heard of a singer called Gregoire (sans accent!). Some of his music's quite good, but I found that a lot of it was very repetitive. The fantastic thing about Bruni's songs is that you're guaranteed to learn a lot of new vocabulary when you listen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringLinguist)
    I agree about Carla Bruni. Some of her songs are really beautiful and quirky, especially 'Le toi du moi'. I've also heard of a singer called Gregoire (sans accent!). Some of his music's quite good, but I found that a lot of it was very repetitive. The fantastic thing about Bruni's songs is that you're guaranteed to learn a lot of new vocabulary when you listen.
    Je boycotte Carla a cause de Sarko....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izoar)
    Je boycotte Carla a cause de Sarko....
    Bien que je ne sois pas exactement fantatique du Sarko ( !), j'aime bien la musique de Carla quand même.

ReputationRep:
    J'aime Hélène Rolles et Amour secret d'elle.
    Alizee Jacotey est aussi très agréable.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 26, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.