The Student Room Group

Finding entry requirements online confusing

Universities tend to vaguely just mention their GCSE/UCAT/ALEVEL weightings or not mention their cut offs...the averages are insanely different to the lowest UCAT interviewed and even the way WP and contextual offers are determined is v vague. I am not sure what to do as emailing them only gives them an opportunity to tell u that they will accept ur application...just so you apply. Feeling disheartened and confused!
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question - or may be a better place to post your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Hi Hannah.
I quite agree it is very confusing and there is a lot to wade through.

The Medschools.ac.uk is a good first step for screening.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/entry-requirements

Then move to the individual websites. I find the individual medical school websites can be quite clear on entry requirements but it can take some digging around sometimes. If it’s not clear or if you have particular circumstances you can always contact them.

I see GANFYD has answered your other question on TAGs and resits. The link she has provided will give you some additional steers.

Then the next problem is knowing what each medical school does with that information and where best to apply. You can do the next bit in parallel - read the first post in this thread do a bit of thinking and then post in the thread in the format suggested.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7102578

There are some excellent advisors on there, if you read through the thread you will soon pick it up. Can also look to see what they are suggesting broadly for others with your UCAT etc and use it as a starter for ten. But, whatever you are told do your own checking and research.

I would then find and read the actual admissions policy for that course on the website and read it in detail. Every university is required to have an admissions policy, this is normally a .pdf document published somewhere on their website. Some give clear links to it via their course webpage, although might call it a scoring document (Leicester) or a departmental supplement (Liverpool). Others seem to hide it away (Sunderland it is annex G of an obscure document published in a quiet corner of their website which isn’t that helpful). Google is your friend here. I have found googling “le.ac.uk (or whatever it is) a100 (or whatever the course code if different) medicine application policy 2023” will bring most of them up. Plymouth is still evading me though so

Read and learn them. The course webpage is unlikely be incorrect but will likely be summarised and it is the policy which is going to be the thing which they are challenged against.

Also click around every link on their websites as stuff is hidden.

Long ramble, and you may well be a long way down this route already, but I thought no harm in sharing what I have done and if it helps you all to the better.

You’ve got this. Good luck with your application.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi Hannah,
It can be really confusing when it comes to what the universities are looking for! Sometimes they don't publicise much information in terms of what they score or prioritise in an applicant. You've already had some great advice so far regarding how to find the information, so something you might want to look at is matching the strengths of your application to what the universities score e.g. Newcastle only score you on your UCAT, so if your UCAT is the strongest part of your application, that might be a school you consider. Our Medical School Comparison Tool is a really helpful way of checking some of the ways that the universities score your application.

What universities have you considered applying to? Do you have any other questions regarding your application? Let us know what we can do to help you!

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Medic Mind
Reply 4
Original post by MedicMind
Hi Hannah,
It can be really confusing when it comes to what the universities are looking for! Sometimes they don't publicise much information in terms of what they score or prioritise in an applicant. You've already had some great advice so far regarding how to find the information, so something you might want to look at is matching the strengths of your application to what the universities score e.g. Newcastle only score you on your UCAT, so if your UCAT is the strongest part of your application, that might be a school you consider. Our Medical School Comparison Tool is a really helpful way of checking some of the ways that the universities score your application.

What universities have you considered applying to? Do you have any other questions regarding your application? Let us know what we can do to help you!

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Medic Mind

@hannah112444 do bear in mind a lot of the info given in this link is wrong, and carefully check websites, as advised by @George&Mary44! above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending